Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Good bow?  (Read 5183 times)

Offline Hockey #12

• Outdoorsman
  • First deer
 I won a bow last night with the grute man at the mn deer hunters banquet and I'd like some opinions on it.

It's a bear odyssey II at 40 lb draw weight.
it came with whisker buscuit, fiber optic sights, and satellite silver series 2940 carbon arrows.

What is a good size of feild tips for this bow? ???

Hockey #12 
If I was feelin any better, I'd be dangerous!

Offline kayaker

• Outdoorsman
That should be an excellent setup to get started hunting with.
I have a freind that uses a whisker bisket and really likes it. There has been quit a few times while hunting in low light conditions that I wished I had the fiber optic sights. As for tip weight, I'm no pro but I guess with a 40lbs draw weight  I would go with a lighter weight , maybe 90gns. for less arrow drop at longer ranges.
                Have Fun

Offline Hockey #12

• Outdoorsman
  • First deer
Thank you very much for your imput. I will keep that in mind next time at Bwana's shop.

Hockey #12 :)

Offline ChrisWallace

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Come into Gander and shoot the broadheads, we got some test ones to fire off if your interested.

I would not go past 100 gr. 85 might be better, but get your arrow weight, grains per inch and we can figure out Kinetic energy.

Forty pounds is pretty light but it kills elk so whitetails should not be a problem, to be honest with you its probably gonna be a hell of a turkey bow. I crank my bow down to right around 50 pounds. You can put a few twists in your cables and gain a few pounds. Otherwise check with bear to see if they make a speed mod or a smooth mod for it.

I am not too wild about the whisker biscuit. But its free bow, I wouldnt complain thats for sure. If you really want you can upgrade the rest and the sight but whatever suits you, suits you. With that whiskerbiscuit your fletchings will get really wavy looking and pretty ugly after shooting a summer with them, second if those fibers freeze, your arrow is gonna sound extremely loud, like fingernails on a chalkboard and it might even disrupt you accuracy as well.

Are you shooting a release or fingers? If your shooting fingers, your arrow will not be released "straight" everytime, which will also lead to accuracy woes.

Satelites are not bad arrows. Pretty decent spine on them.

Basically the sky's the limit or your wallet on what you want to do with it. Congrats on the bow though. Now get shooting and shoot straight!!!

Offline Hockey #12

• Outdoorsman
  • First deer
Thank you for all the inputs.  What shop?? :)

Offline ChrisWallace

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
G-mtn in blaine