Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: north shore 4-6-06  (Read 2314 times)

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
Watching the rain inclusive weather predictions for a week, a much improved Thursday forcast, Goose Griz and I decided to proceed with our plans to spend a  day on the north shore. With high hopes and modest expectations,  we headed out at 6:00 a.m.
Duluth bound.Our first stop was marine general to get supplies and tips.
None of us having ever done this before, I called upon an old friend, a native Duluth to lend us some tips and pointers as well. He willingly obliged.
We had a French River destination.
the parking area at the French was lined with cars and pickups, but there was room for us. The fishing pressure was not bad. We found enough room to fish comfortably along the shore to the north of the river.
We were greeted with a 10 mph northeast wind, which increased as the day passed.
using floating spawn sacks with sinkers, we fished off bottom with one rod and we used looper bugs tipped with wax worms below a weighted float. The weight was used to aid in casting distance.
The bite was slow for us, but we did see a fisher leave with one nice fish.
After trying a couple different places, we moved up to the Sucker River to explore and try our hand.
We found a river studded with outcroppings of rocks, forming waterfalls, rapids, still backwaters and little islands.
Following one of the many trails on the north side of the river, we made our way to the mouth where we found a gauntlet of fly fishers, patiently casting.
We did see one man hook about a five or six pound fish only to loose it in the swift current.
Another angler  had similar results,moments later.
It would seem to me, the only chance you would have would be to hook one in one of the back waters where the water is slowed just a little. The combination of current and determination on the part of the fish seemed to be to the fish's advantage.
We left empty handed, with a better idea of what to expect next time.
I was satisfied and I think my partners were as well.
I think next time watching for a more favorable wind, our results will include a fish or maybe two?
take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline 7Pines

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
An outing like that is pretty typical.  Some days a bit slower, other days, when whatever conditions are just right for the loopers are just right, you can pick up one or two or three.  Nice up there though, isn't it?  I like the trail along the Sucker.  Very pretty spot.
If the looper bug  ;D strikes again soon, let me know.  I need to get up there.  Probably bring my 7-year-old up too.  He can't get enough of that North Shore!

Offline Dr.Bob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Thanks for the report Dave - it was a good read :).? That's the way my looper trips have always gone too.

I really want to get back up the Shore one of these days in a bad way.? I have not been there for years and have never gone when I have not had to get back home the on that day or the next.?

For next summer I am kicking around the idea of taking the kids on a midweek trip up the Shore and perhaps a cruise up the Gunflint.? I have lived here for almost 32 years now, I am really ashamed of myself for not making it up there yet!

I am also thinking about stream fishing for rainbows, brookies and browns down in Trempeleau Co.? WI.? I just got back from there an hour ago and am really pumped up!? Jake and I are going to spend a week down there in October (grouse, pheasant, squirrel, etc.? ;D) and will likely return for deer hunting (gun season).? My cousin told me we HAVE to be back next spring to hunt Turkey with him.? They have a flock of about 90 or better that live up over the top of a hill on their farm.? YEHAWWWWW!This will be Jake's first year of hunting too so I am extra thrilled about it.? Now I got him by the short hairs!? He better get some grades next fall or he will be sitting in the motel room doing homework while Pa is out hunting with his little sister ;D.

Anyways, I figure I'll be chasing those trout when I am not chasing the feathers and the fur.? I have not done that since I was a kid.? I loved sneaking up on those rascals and drifting an angle worm by their noses.? I used to do pretty good sometimes.? And there are some huge browns in those streams too!? All I ever caught was dinks though :D.
« Last Edit: April 04/16/06, 08:07:47 PM by Dr.Bob »