Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: buckboard bacon recipe  (Read 5052 times)

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
here is a recipe i found a few years ago,
was pretty good but a little hammy tasting.
i think maple syrup would help that..

1 boneless pork butt (The one I used was about 5 lbs)
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Tender quick
1/2 cup Honey (you can substitute molasses or maple syrup)

Mix the brown sugar and Tender Quick thoroughly. Slice the pork butt in half horizontally. Thoroughly coat both halves with the mixture and rub in well. Shake off any excess and put in a 2 gal zip lock bag. Put the bag in the refrigerator for 6-7 days to cure (your refrigerator should be between 36-40 degrees for proper curing). On the third day pour off any excess liquid that has accumulated in the bag, flip the meat over and put back in the refrigerator. On day 6-7 remove the meat, rinse thoroughly, and soak in cold water for 12 hours put a raw potatoe
in with the water and butt  (this helps to remove some of the saltiness). After two hours remove the meat from the water and dry with a paper towel. Heat honey just enough to thin. Brush meat with the honey. Smoke at a temp of 200 degrees until you reach an internal temp of 140 degrees in the thickest part of the meat.

When ready to eat, slice thin and use the same as you would regular bacon.

I used a mix of hickory and apple or cherry wood for the smoke. i changed a few things in the original recipe,   recipe from rj,   bbq forum
9-23-2004

randy aka bonehead aka bbqhead

Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline holdemtwice

• Master Outdoorsman
  • BURNSVILLE
sounds very good .. i am gunna  try that .  thanx randy  aka bonehead !!!! :chef: :chef:
member  # 569