Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: "Trout Opener" is tomorrow, 4/15  (Read 2329 times)

Offline 7Pines

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Tomorrow is the MN inland stream trout opener.?
I have two distinctly different thoughts on that fact:? :) and? >:(
If your idea of a nice outing is quiet and solitude, you may wish to stay the heck away from the easily accessed areas on the major rivers and tribs.? Opener on popular water and access points can be a zoo...as in little urchins in bright clothing screaming and running up and down the banks chuckin' rocks into the streams with nary a parent in sight sort of deal. ;D?
I like to pop in on various fly fishing sites and one of my regulars on the favorites list is Dave Anderson's On the Fly Guide Service http://ontheflyguiding.com/.? His handle is D.A. and he has contributed on this board.? Very knowledgable angler and trout guide in the SE part of our state.? Anyway, looking at his site today and reading his thoughts on the subject reminded me to make the PSA here on MNO.
Some friends and I will make our 25th annual spring trout trip down to SE MN, but we'll hit it in early May sometime.? Caddis should be in full swing by then and some of those hatches can be unbelievable!
Anyway, bust out the DeLorme map and find some off-the-beaten-path water tomorrow and Sunday.
Good luck and submit reports!? We want to hear how you did!
Lastly...I don't mean to preach here, but I always stuff a garbage bag in my vest and pick up after the filthy pigs that leave all their sh*t lying around as I hike out.? It does look every so much nicer when you hike along a trout stream and NOT see any litter, isn't it? ;)
Anyway, it's just a suggestion.? It makes me feel good to clean up and leave a stretch of water in better shape than when I arrived.
Dan

Offline Manny

• Minnow
For those going out tomorrw, I can offer up a few suggestions as well:

1.) There will be lots of people around (there were tons out the last two days), so being respectful is important.  Etiquette pretty much goes out the window on this weekend, but try to be mindful of those around you.

2.) Dan already hit on the trash deal.  There isn't hardly any trash on the waterways right now, but that will be a different story come Monday AM :o.  Pack up what you take it, and pack out what others leave behind.

3.) Harvest:  There are lots of trout in southeast MN, but there are not an abundance of trout over 12 inches.  If you want to take some to eat tomorrow, by all means, but remember to limit your kill and keep those 9-10 inchers.  Take a camera and let the big boys go.

4.) Area conditions.  There are lots of streams that are dirty (the Root River system being one of them), but the smaller, spring creeks are in great shape.  The weather's good, the water's warming, and there are fish to be had.

Enjoy the weekend; I'm staying home  ::)

D.A.