Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: BRAINERD/NISSWA AREA 4-23  (Read 3957 times)

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
All is well here in the North Country now that we have open water pretty much everywhere.  Our rainstorms the last couple of days took care of the remaining ice cubes that were floating around.  Anglers have been out in full force chasing crappies and sunnies.  So far it has gone quite well. There are lots of sunnies up in the shallows and the crappies are just starting to show up a little.  The boats that have fished a little deeper are finding some crappies that are willing to bite.  The water is a little cold yet ranging from 43-50 degrees.  It looks like promising weather all week so the fish should start biting like crazy.  Some of the hot spots to try are the docks at Bar Harbor, Margaret, Breezy Point, North Long, Mission, and Lake Hubert.  The hot baits are pretty simple.  All you need is a fishing rod rigged up with a small bobber, small jig, and a small minnow or worm.  Stay small early in the season, it'll produce big results.  Be sure to stop in for the latest.  Good Luck!

BRAINERD/NISSWA AREA - S & W Bait and Tackle - Home of Walleye Dans Guide Service 7 1/2 miles North of Brainerd on the East side of Hwy 371 (218) 829-7010 www.sandwbait.com & www.walleyedan.com
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline WoodChuck

• Master Outdoorsman
  • " Minnesota Outdoorsman supporter"
 ;D  ::fishing:: is on the hot bite here in the brainerd lakes area ! for the most part the bite has been in the later afternoon and early evenings .the gull lake and river chains have produced some of the best action from shore, as the fish are hanging in the 3 fow to shore line useing a small crappie minnow for the slabs and waxies for the sunnies with a small jig or hook fished about 18 " down with a bobber .with the hot temps comeing this weekend the outlook can only get better ! so dont waste any time for the bite dont last to long with the minnesota weather we all know to well . GOOD FISHING AND GOOD LUCK ! PLEASE TAKE A KID FISHING WHEN YOUGO AS THEY NEED TIME IN THE GREAT OUTDOORS ALSO , AND YOU NEVER NO WHAT THEY MIGHT JUST BECOME THE NEXT PRO FISHERMAN ?

woodchuck 
"i am not the KING FISHER , nor the fisher of men , but i am a fisherman "    membership n. 141

Offline DDR

• Outdoorsman
Great to hear the bite has picked up!  I'm gonna be up there next weekend.  Hopefully the bite is still going full force by then.  Are you using plain hooks or jigs with the minnows?

Offline WoodChuck

• Master Outdoorsman
  • " Minnesota Outdoorsman supporter"
 ::fishing:: ;D  have been useing both systems as there not in to a sure way of feeding at this stage . by next week the crappies should be into a plain hook and minnow, such as the aberdeen long shaft #6 to a # 4 with a larger fathead . as of the last few nites they have bit lite and only ran with the baits due to the extream differences of water temps . hope this helps you out . fish hadr and fish safe ! woodchuck
"i am not the KING FISHER , nor the fisher of men , but i am a fisherman "    membership n. 141

Offline DDR

• Outdoorsman
Thanks Woodchuck!  When I was up there last year with Iceman, we hit the bite just right.  Almost every cast we had a fish on within seconds.  I started to enjoy the use of floating flies behind my bobber.  What a blast!