Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: How bouts a Sporting Clays "outing"?!!  (Read 6430 times)

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Guys....would anyone be interested in giving sporting clays a go?  It sounds like alot of you live not to far from the metro area, theres the horse and hunt club in prior lake, rice creek in little falls and Wild Marsh just north of Big Lake near Santiago.  I live right near Metro gun club in blaine and shoot there alot, but seriously, if ya like shooting skeet, trap or 5-stand you'll LOVE sporting clays... They are walk thru courses made up of multiple stations, kinda like a golf course so you actually get exercise.  Wild Marsh and Rice Creek are fully automated so your buddies are the trappers!  Its targets are so much more "realistic" zippin thru trees, across slews,  rabbit targets bounding between openings of brush and many other settings that will remind you of your typical waterfowling and upland hunting shooting.  You guys gotta give it a whirl, its a blast, and its very addicting!  Hey Dave-O, have you shot the walk around type course?  I'm sure most of you trap shooters have shot 5-stand sporting clays, and thats cool too...but its not nearly as fun and ya dont see all the variables like real sporting clays gives ya !Let me know if any of yaz wants to give it a shot :whistling:or maybe we could get a larger group, then ya get discounts at most clubs(ya dont have to be members at em...) Just let me know, i'd be alot of fun!             -thunderpout 8)

Offline holdemtwice

• Master Outdoorsman
  • BURNSVILLE
Count me in  mr pout !!!   i live south of the metro . sounds like fun to me !!  let me know .
   HT aka  HOLDEMTWICE
member  # 569

Offline DaveO

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Yea I have shot the walk through two times now,,,,It takes the guys around a year to stop laughing at me,,,,then we go out again,,,

but if you guys go out and Im in town count me in,,,after all its not fair just to let a few guys laugh at me,,,,
Shut up and Shoot

Offline Benny

• Master Outdoorsman
I am game for that as well, trap is getting to easy now so it's time to step up to a real shooting sport.

Keep us posted when you want to go.

Benny
"What we have here is a failure to communicate"

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
I've been known to swing a shotgun from time to time, but I have never shot sporting clays. Maybe I could go and supply some comedy relief. I should be able to take some of the heat off of you Dave. :ROTFLMAO:
Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Dave-O.... thats what is great about sporting clays, very few are really good at it, you only get better., very, very rarely are there perfect scores as in skeet and trap.  The only dudes who get close to that level do so because they have alot of time and alot of money to throw around....Where do you guys want to go, north or south of the cities?  I'm thinkin maybe in june some time....           -thunderpout 8)

Offline DaveO

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Well I guess I'm not at the level that Benny is in trap as I don't think trap is all that easy. I have only ran 100x100 a few times...but I will keep practicing to get better.

How about Forest Lake?,,,,I think they have a course,,,,or Wings North?

I have a very tight schedule this summer so you guys decide and I will try my hardest to make it
Shut up and Shoot

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Dave-O,  forest lake has single trap stations and wings north is mostly single trap,meaning the targets at each station come from the same direction each time.  The "larger" places have more double trap set ups but yeah they both are ok, just not as advanced as some, but may be cheaper to shoot.  Dave, what are your open weekend days in june?  You da man and ya gotz ta go to make dis fly....               -thunderpout 8)

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Guys/Dave-O....I'm thinkin a day on one of the last two weekends in June....Come on MNO folks... we got a good small group there but we can round up more than this cant we?   Come on Lets give er a go, eh?!                  -thunderpout 8)

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I would be interested in this as well....only if we have a bbq to go along with it though.

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Sounds like a great time.  Im a rookie so Dave-O and Joe, we can make up the majority and make fun of the good shooters   :ROTFLMAO:  I've only shot 5 stand a few times.  It will depend on the day as I already have some things planned for the end of June.  Also, I agree with Mayfly that a bbq is in line.

Grute Man  :bandana:
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Da BBQ ez good....Atta boy Mayfly!!!

Offline BearGuide

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Castle Creek Outfitters - Northern MN Bear Guide
    • www.Castle-Creek-Outfitters.com
I am already shooting at Beaverbrook-Tri-County Sportsman Club in East Bethel.  Otherwise I would be interested.  Thanks!

Offline holdemtwice

• Master Outdoorsman
  • BURNSVILLE
JUST LET ME KNOW .......  i am in 
member  # 569

Offline DaveO

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have no idea what my June ls like right now,,,I know there are a couple of commitments I will have to look,,,,I just got back from two weeks up north and this is the first Ive turned on the puter..

Just make the date i will try my hardest to make it,,,,,,,,,,thanks
Shut up and Shoot

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
OK here's our firt try, (june and july are tough ta schedual) how bout sat or sun, June30th/July1st......? :whistling:                -t-pout 8)

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Also, whats best for yousa guys, Wings North/Rush City....Wild Marsh/Big Lake.....or Horse & Hunt club/Prior Lake?  Im neutral and live smack in the middle of em all, what do you guys think?          -thunderpout 8)

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
For me either Wings Nort or Horse and Hunt club.  Same distance for me to either one.  For the date, July 1 would be better.

Thats my vote.
Grute

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey, just to throw this in, Wild Marsh has a new weatherproof bay where you could shoot 5-stand if it rained.....and a covered outdoor party area for grilling and such....    -thunderpout 8)

Offline holdemtwice

• Master Outdoorsman
  • BURNSVILLE
SORRY  i cant make july 1st  i will be in wisconsin .  maybe next time
« Last Edit: June 06/05/07, 07:55:40 PM by holdemtwice »
member  # 569

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Hey, just to throw this in, Wild Marsh has a new weatherproof bay where you could shoot 5-stand if it rained.....and a covered outdoor party area for grilling and such....    -thunderpout 8)

Sounds great.   :bandana:

Offline DaveO

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
if im in town I will be there forsure,,,no matter where it is
Shut up and Shoot

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Allrighty then....lets see if we can narrow tings up a little.  Sunday, July 1st at either Wings North,near Rush City,  or Wild Marsh, close to Big Lake/Becker (and they have facilities to shoot 5-stand and grill in covered areas if it rains). I've shot at both ranges, both nice, wild marsh having the edge if it rains, and they're about the same distance from the cities, if thats where yer comin from.  What duz ya think Mayfly,Dave-O and others...?  I believe I'm shooting at Wild Marsh this sunday, so let me know folks and I can set things up this weekend either way if I get the thumbs up from our motley crue here....            -thunderpout 8)

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Put me down for 2 at Wild March.  Hockey #12 will probably be with me.   :bandana:

Offline DaveO

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
TPout,,,sounds good to me I promise I will do my best to make it.. Just to let yea know I sure do appreciate yea taking the bull by the horns on this.

You will never get everyone to have the perfect day and the perfect place  So just throw the rope and take the bull by the Horn's.

Thanks again ::50cal::
Shut up and Shoot

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
This sounds fun, but I'll be out of town that weekend. I'll try to make the next one.
Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Tanks Dave-O,Gots ya down for two Grute Man...any other MNO guy's/gal's in?  Jeeze, we cant just fish and mow the lawn the whole summer...can ye? ::hittingself::     -Thunderpout 8)

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Just an FYI, We will be having one of these at the MNO Fest along with a bbq and many many other fun things ;D

Check it out.....

http://mnoutdoorsman.com/forums/index.php?topic=5812.0

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Lookin at the Fest dates, You guys dont grouse hunt.... Umm...I was just gonna see to get a few out on a course, not so much a picnic thing... but if any one does want to go, IF we go to Wild Marsh,  We got free use of their grills, if we get 10 guys/gals, theres a discount too. Isnt that deal three months away ......?  Whatever...JLMK              -thunderpout 8)

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Lookin at the Fest dates, You guys dont grouse hunt.... Umm...I was just gonna see to get a few out on a course, not so much a picnic thing... but if any one does want to go, IF we go to Wild Marsh,  We got free use of their grills, if we get 10 guys/gals, theres a discount too. Isnt that deal three months away ......?  Whatever...JLMK              -thunderpout 8)

I'll keep watching this thread. I would be game for what you have going on here. Sounds fun.