Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Maybe a dumb question  (Read 4770 times)

Offline Ryan

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Website Design
I have been thinking about getting a bow for myself.  I shoot left handed so do I need to buy a left handed bow?  It has been many years since I have shot one, I don't even remember which way I did it back then.

Offline guythathunts

• Master Outdoorsman
  • The brothers with my 2006 buck.
It is all about eye dominance (in my opinion). If you are left eye you should shoot left handed, right eye right handed. If you don't know... Figure it out!!! You can, with practice, strengthen either arm to pull a good draw with either side, but I would go with the eye thing.  ;)
~ Greg
Find a bird Duke... find a bird... ROOSTER!!! BANG! Bring it here boy. GOOD BOY DUKE, GOOD BOY!!!

Offline Ryan

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Website Design
I know my left eye is dominant.  I was wondering if I can just lean my head over a little further to use my left eye if I were to shoot right handed.  That is how I started out shooting a gun until someone realized what I was doing.

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Id say you're making it more complicated than it already is.  If you know you're left eye dominant and you're just starting, then learn the habits and feeling of it the right way from the begining.  That would be shooting left handed.  That would be natural for you to learn and do it that way.  As the years go on, you'll fall into a consistent pattern without even thinking.  If that pattern is akward body positions...then you probably wont be very accurate.  The 3 C's of archery are Concentration Cosistency Confidence    If you Concentrate and are Consistent, then you'll gain Confidence.

Also, I bet who ever noticed you shooting a gun like that helped you correct that didn't they??

Grute Man
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline Ryan

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Website Design
I figured I would probably be better off shooting left handed, but was not totally sure.  My big concern was that my left arm seems a lot weaker than my right, but I'm sure with practice it is nothing.

Actually they just pointed out that I was using my left eye.  After that I started shooting left handed and it seemed a lot easier after that.  I was pretty young so it was not that hard to make the switch.