Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: A Once In A Lifetime Occurance!  (Read 3743 times)

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman

Cody Granley, 16, Brainerd, caught this 51-inch muskie Monday on the Mississippi River in Brainerd. It was Granley's first muskie and the largest fish he's ever caught.

'A once-in-a-lifetime occurrence'  Wed. June 6th, 2007
Mississippi River in Brainerd yields 51-inch muskie for local 16-year-old
By JENNIFER STOCKINGER
Staff Writer for the Brainerd Daily Dispatch

Cody Granley of Brainerd never intended to catch a muskie Monday afternoon, especially on the Mississippi River in the city limits of Brainerd.

The 16-year-old teen not only caught a muskie, but he caught one 51 inches long.

Granley, the son of Nancy and Dale Granley, said he knew that people have caught muskies on the river, but he had never fished for muskies before. He was using a Five of Diamonds Daredevil with hopes of catching northerns.

After about 20 minutes and 30 or so casts, Granley didn't have a choice and hooked his first muskie. It was a 10-minute battle for Granley to reel the muskie in on his 30-pound fishing line.

"I knew there was a muskie there," Granley said. "I knew it right away. I was reeling real fast and saw the big head. Its head was just huge."

Granley didn't have a fishing net with him, so when he pulled the muskie to shore he grabbed it with his hands without getting bit. He called his mother right away so she could meet him at the river to take a photograph of his huge muskie.

"My mom never saw a fish that big," Granley said. "I immediately released the fish after the pictures were taken."

Granley didn't have a scale to weigh the muskie, but thought that it was about 35-40 pounds.

"It still hasn't occurred to me that I caught the fish," said Granley. "I think 55 inches is the state record for muskies or something like that. I know that catching a muskie over 50 inches is a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence. Some people fish their whole lives for muskies and don't catch one."

Granley said the biggest fish he ever caught before the muskie was a 42-inch, fat lake trout on Lake Nipigon in Ontario two years ago.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline iceman

• Master Outdoorsman
holy smokes that huge !!
On a quite nite up north you can almost here the deer laughing