Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: German Mauser ?'s  (Read 2575 times)

Offline Iceberg

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
When my Grandpa Died many years ago, he left me this old German Mauser that one of his brothers had brought back from the war.  The gun has sat in my safe ever since then except for the once a year cleaning.

Well, last week I decided I would take this gun with me to Montana next week and see how well it does on those pesky Prairie dogs, but I don't know anything about this gun,what caliber it might be, I did a little research on-line and found out it could be 7.62, 7.92 (8MM), or it could have been converted to a 30.06 or .308.  If I take this to A local Gunsmith or maybe to a Gander, could they tell me what caliber this is and if I need to buy special ammo or will the current ammo out on the market be ok to shoot...???

A small group of thoughtful people could change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline Benny

• Master Outdoorsman
Well you pretty much answered your own question.
Take it to a gunsmith and ask them to check it out for caliber,head space, and general safety to shoot it.

Odds are it is origianal 8 mm mauser caliber if it came back during WW11, the spanish 7 mm were less common and so is a caliber conversion with out marking by the gunsmith who converted it.

Benny
"What we have here is a failure to communicate"

Offline DaveO

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I agree,,,I would take it to a gun smith,,,,would think twice on bringing it to Gander though
Shut up and Shoot

Offline Iceberg

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Here is what I found out on the on-line research.

The gun was made in 1944 as a standard German infantry issue. it is a 7.92 x 57MM ( referred as the 8 MM Mauser)
It is the Mauser Karabiner 98k and has an effective range of 800 Meters ( about 875 yards).
The gun I have does not have the original stock, but the stocks are available through a few different sources...One which is a customer of mine...HMMM Wonder if I can get a free sample????? :cowboy: :cowboy:

Thanks guys...

A small group of thoughtful people could change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline BearGuide

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Castle Creek Outfitters - Northern MN Bear Guide
    • www.Castle-Creek-Outfitters.com
I have three of them.  I use to use them for deer hunting when I started out.  I use to buy NORMA shells.  I think it was 7.02?  They were $40 a box - about $2 a shell.
I still have some.  Maybe if I remember - I can give you some more info on them.  I bought them down buy bass lake road and 494 on the east side in Plymouth.  It was a long time ago. But the gun store there helped me decide on shells.  They were tapered on the ends and incredible ballistics.  Cheap gun - expensive to shoot.  Let me know if I can help more.  I can't remember the store though.  I can ask a friend if he remebers - he lived right buy the gun shop.
« Last Edit: June 06/19/07, 12:20:38 PM by BearGuide »

Offline Iceberg

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Also researched ammo and pricing for this gun here is what I have found so far:

Winchester, Remington, Wolf, PMC and Federal all make ammo for this gun, price ranges from $12 for a box of 20 to $50 for a box of 20 196 grain to 200 grain. Looks like Rem and Win both make a safari grade and a military grade shell
Margaret Mead

Offline Iceberg

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
More info on mine;

Made and inspected from 1941 - 1944 by J.P. Sauer u. Sohn in Gewehrfabrik, Suhl, Thuringia, Germany. If you recognize the Sauer name think of the Sig-Sauer pistols
Margaret Mead

Offline Cbxboy

• Outdoorsman
Iceberg, I',m a little LATE on this but I do have an "above average" knowledge on Mausers.  If you still need help let me know.

If you need 8mm ammo I have some for you...for a reasonable price of course.  I shoot primarily Surplus Military.  All corrosive but with proper cleaning you will not experience a problem at all. 

If you are "south metro" I could even show you all you would need to know regarding your Mauser.  I could verify caliber if you like and I am MUCH cheaper than Gander!

Ditto Benny's comments on rechamberings being normally marked if done by a smith......the stock change would give ME reason to question the caliber.  I kow a guy with about 10 mausers---not a one of them in 8mm and not 2 of the same caliber.  Tape on the stock is his caliber-- a little scary to me, but fair enough I guess.