Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Had a follow  (Read 2450 times)

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
I know this is small potatoes to some of you folks but I tried my hand at musky fishing today (for the 3rd time ever) and had one follow the lure up to the boat.  I had just lifted it up and clicked the button to cast again and he came up and went back down like the way whales do and im thinkin he was nearly that big too.    :whistling:    This thing was pretty thick so I know he was a biggun.   My heart bout jumped out of my chest and I wanted to throw that lure right in front of him but was frozen.  As much as I tried after that, nothing.  I'll be back and he'll still be there.  I know where he lives. ;D

Grute  ::fishing::
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline holdemtwice

• Master Outdoorsman
  • BURNSVILLE
brother grute .  did you do the figure eight by the boat ??? A lot of muskies are caught that way.
 congrats on seeing one. it is a big deal to any musky fisherman ..  good luck  on catching him !!!!!! 

HT
member  # 569

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Never thought of a figure 8.  I'll do that for sure next time.  I didn't see this  boheamith until after I was already to make my next cast.  If I had done the figure 8, I might have posted "MY FIRST MUSKY!!"

Thanks for the tip.  Now I wanna go again but its too hot.  Worked outside from noon till 5pm - AAARRRRGGGG Im melllltttinnnggggggg

Grute

Offline luvnlife

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Congrats Grute, now you have to be addicted. The follows are almost as exciting as catching. What were you throwing for bait? LUVNLIFE

Offline ChrisWallace

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Its addicting isnt it? Be careful that sport has no limits.

Another habit you want to get into is figure 8'n after every cast, sometime fish will materialize out of no where or come from under the boat, etc.

Another tip, its kinda cheap but puts fish in the boat is keep a sucker on a quick strike rig and big float at the ready, get a follow and lob that sucker in there and well, their a sucker.

Offline WoodChuck

• Master Outdoorsman
  • " Minnesota Outdoorsman supporter"
 ??? thats a heck of a good idea chris! never thought of that but it wood be a enticing morsel for a ravenous mouthski. thanks for the double chance to hook a monster fish !

woodchuck
"i am not the KING FISHER , nor the fisher of men , but i am a fisherman "    membership n. 141

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Congrats Grute, now you have to be addicted. The follows are almost as exciting as catching. What were you throwing for bait? LUVNLIFE

Im not sure what its real name is but its this rubbery life like lookin perch.  The tail section is even preforated so that it flutters as I reel it in. Im tellin ya it looks EXACTLY like a perch.  Its one of the soft baits.  Well the darn thing weighs a lot so it may be designed for trolling.  I was casting it for a long time then just tried trolling.
Grute

Offline BearGuide

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Castle Creek Outfitters - Northern MN Bear Guide
    • www.Castle-Creek-Outfitters.com
I'm a beginner musky fisherman as well, but when I was on Cass Lake a few weeks ago we had one on a walleye rig right up to the boat.  I had the net ready, but he was a little too big for that.  He liked the shinner minnow.  I plan to go back after baiting this fall each afternoon.  You wouldn't have been on Blad Eagle would you?   ::)

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
I'm a beginner musky fisherman as well, but when I was on Cass Lake a few weeks ago we had one on a walleye rig right up to the boat.  I had the net ready, but he was a little too big for that.  He liked the shinner minnow.  I plan to go back after baiting this fall each afternoon.  You wouldn't have been on Blad Eagle would you?   ::)

Mmmmmmmaaaaaaybeeeeeeeee.   ;D

Offline fishercz20

• Outdoorsman
Saw a fishing show a couple weeks ago maybe Babe Winkleman and they did that figure 8 thingy and you could see that Muskie chasing that Lure. They finally did catch it.