Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's a good "first boat"???  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
    • The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club and Straight River Archery Club
I am looking for a little help on what type, size, motor, etc... would be a good starting range for my first boat next spring.

Right now it is just my wife, our son and myself, but we are hoping to maybe have another child a little ways down the road.

It's main useage would be for me and my son (6 yrs old) to get out and do some fishing on area lakes and occassionally take the whole family out for some casual boating and maybe pull a tube for some fun.

I am looking to get into something for a couple thousand or less that will be good for us for 4-5 years until we can purchase something bigger with more bells and whistles on it.

Any help or suggestions that anyone can give me to kind of narrow down my search would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Outdoors_Realtree

::fishing::
The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club-Board Member
Straight River Archery Club-Board Member
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
Good question?

First thing to consider is if you want a tiller or non tiller?

If your planning on using the boat for recreation (skiing, tubing etc...) then you definitely do not want a tiller.

With that said, you'll need something that can pull the kids around the lake, 16 foot or bigger, 75 hp or larger, brand does not matter, but Lund makes a great boat and you can usually find a nice 16 foot Lund, motor and trailer for less than $4000.

If you can live without the skiing, then you open the door to a lot more.

A 16 foot Lund, 40-50 hp boat will do the job just fine, you'll be able to fish 3 comfortably and even pull the kids in the tube. You should be able to find one for sale at $3000 or less.

As far as the tiller option, the main reason a person will choose a tiller boat over a steering counsel is boat control, it is much easier to backtroll with a tiller and stay on a certain break or path. Most Wallye fisherman will choose a tiller over a counsel if given a choice.
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
My first boat was a Lund pro angler with a 40hp Johnson tiller. The boat was about an 82 and the motor an 85. That was about 12 or 13 years ago. I took that thing everywhere. Great boat - great to fish from. On the occasions that we tubed or skied it was perfect. Easily pulled the kids up when they were first learning to ski. I was able to slalom ski behind it (can't remember if I had to drop a ski or not).  Paid $3400 and 7 years later sold it for $3500. I love a tiller.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline rchaze60

• Master Outdoorsman
as spinach said it is on what you want I got mine off of craiglist for 1700 and that was with a trailer and old motor  and you have rode in it. It serves it purpose in life and its fast enuff now with a new motor to pull a tube behind it

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
    • The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club and Straight River Archery Club
Those are some great and helpful posts guys...thanks a bunch!! We do not do any skiing so that is really not a big concern for me, but I would like to have the options to pull a tube or two behind with the kids or me occassionally.

Thanks again for the help!!  ;)
The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club-Board Member
Straight River Archery Club-Board Member
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman