Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: ROCKET BROADHEADS?  (Read 5434 times)

Offline GOLDTIP

• Outdoorsman
  • My first Wisconsin deer October 2008
just wondering if other people shoot rocket mechanicals and if so which ones do you shoot and tell me about your arrow grains and also what length arrow you shoot and what your draw weight is and what is the farthest shot you have taken and made an ethical kill with them how is your entry holes vs your exits and also size of blood trail   I shoot the wolverines [aka]light version of the steelhead and they perform for me but have heard other people complain about them, how is your entry holes vs your exits and also size of blood trails??? would be interesting to also know if you've had any bad experiences with them as far as deflection goes.
LIFE IS ALWAYS FULL OF CHANGES  SO ALWAYS EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED  SO HUNT WHILE YOU CAN !!!!

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline awb500magman

• Outdoorsman
WOW Am I the only rocket Shooter here ??

I have been hunting with them for the past 6 years and have had no issues with them Most of my deer I see go down so the tracking is not a issue but I did have one that had a light blood trail but still was able to see the blood and track it that way too.

Some of them like the Minne Blasters don't leave a good size en trace hole but leave a exit hole you can park a bus in and the steal head 100-125, Wolverines,Sidewinders, Hammerheads leave a decent entrance hole but again the exit holes from the rockets are very nice......the Rocket Ultimate steals 125-100-75 all of them are AWSOME the 125gr has a 1.125" cut the 100gr has a .875" cut but it is very deadly and the 75gr has a 1.00" cut and will out penetrate a Muzzy 75gr I do have picks of Low Lbs penetration testing with the 75gr Rockets and Muzzys I will have to put up the picks.

I will always shoot rockets I have never lost a deer to them

« Last Edit: August 08/10/07, 10:16:44 PM by awb500magman »

Offline GOLDTIP

• Outdoorsman
  • My first Wisconsin deer October 2008
thanks for my first reply on this subject  I actually thought it was going to be very interesting and turns out it was from one reply I have yet to shoot a deer with my wolverines and lose a deer and they have not all been ideal shots either for instance 2 years ago I shoot a doe that was walking and then stopped and then turned away from me as I let the arrow go and this was with my old hoyt reflex excursion shooting about 275fps with a 348gr arrow and no joke this deer was at 50 yds when the arrow got to her and it went completely through her lengthwise and I had to take a visegrip and pull my broadhead free from her front shoulder when I cleaned her and I would honestly say that that thing was buried at least a half an inch in the big bone anyway getting back to the recovery aspect I gave her about 2 hours and me and 3 buddies took up the blood trail and after an hour of tracking minimal sign we jumped her almost exactly to where I shoot her and she looked at me from 10yds and I shot her in the neck not my best hunt nor my proudest moment but I did not lose that deer because I was shooting an excellent broadhead  but 3 years ago when I first got back into archery full swing I was shooting way more weight than I was comfprtable with and couldnt pattern past thirty yds and the place that set me up told me I should shoot the sidewinder 3's and I will never shoot them again just because I had a buck come in fast and the adreniline was pumpin and I took a wide open shot at this deer at 25yds and I drilled him right above the front shoulder by about 6" and the damn broadhead only went in maybe 6" and it smacked loud and he hit the ground jumped to his feet and took off like a bat out of hell for the woods 40yds away so I gave him a good half hour and snuck out of there and gave him a good 3 hours and when we finally found the arrow we only found like 50 pindrops of blood and then it quit the next almost whole day I was sick to my stomach and searched the entire area for missed clues and later that week I saw him with his bathchelor group gimpin along so I knew he was the buck because I could identify his 6pt basket through the binos which made me feel a little better
LIFE IS ALWAYS FULL OF CHANGES  SO ALWAYS EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED  SO HUNT WHILE YOU CAN !!!!

Offline awb500magman

• Outdoorsman
I would have to say that the bigest key to Rockets is Shot Placement If you get the hart and the lungs or just lungs they dont go far but, you do need to get a good shot in, But I belive that with any broad head out there....

Offline DOUBLE80

I HAVE KILLED ALOT OF TURKEYS WITH THE ROCKET HAMMERHEADS,THEY DO A GOOD JOB IF YOU HIT THEM IN THE RIGHT SPOT.

Offline MnArch

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Minnesota Archery
Rocket makes an awesome head.  But like awb500magma says, You have to make a good shot.  With a front deploying expandable make sure your not taking drastic quartering shots.  Sometimes the blade hits before the ferrule of the broadhead causing a dramatic drop in kinetic energy.  But if you have a broadside shot, Mama watch out because it may be messy!
« Last Edit: September 09/10/07, 10:16:54 AM by MnArch »
You're welcome at
Minnesota Archery
Litchfield,MN
(320) 693-2061

Offline Model12

• Outdoorsman
I used a 100gr sidewinder to kill an elk at 55yds. I was shooting a 29"/70# w/a 28 1/2" ICS 400. I put it at the very back edge of the shoulder. More ideal would've been to be about 3" back from the front shoulder and in the middle of the lungs but as it was he went about 75yds. Entry was typical w/some blood and it shattered the shoulder on the offside. The blades opened up immediately but one blade sheared off...(that is, 1/2 of one blade was broken, I didn't lose a blade).
I think an elk is a little to hearty of an animal for that sort of blade on a mechanical. There are other mfgs that have more beef in their blades but across the board, Rocket makes outstanding broadheads.
I'm more of a fixed blade kind of guy and use the Rocket Ultimate Steel 75's and 100's. I also like(d) the Cabela's F3 broadheads that were made by Rocket.
On mechanical heads, I generally use Vortex on the 100 and 125's and an 85gr Shockwave and the Sidewinder's for turkey. I honestly haven't had a bad experience w/mechanicals w/the exception of the blades breaking, not being easily replaced etc after practice/use.
We all have three memorable trips in our lives...the first one, the last one and the next one.