Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Help improve MNO!  (Read 7351 times)

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
All of us enjoy coming to MNO.  We are always working to improve MNO.  We would like to hear from our members.  What suggestion can you make to improve MNO? 

Please post idea's or thoughts in the thread.  Please keep things positive in this thread.

If you have a concern or don't feel comfortable posting in here, please send me a pm.

Thank you for taking the time.

Outdoors Junkie

(Denny)
« Last Edit: August 08/31/07, 10:52:50 AM by Outdoors_Realtree »
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
    • The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club and Straight River Archery Club
More member giveaways!
The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club-Board Member
Straight River Archery Club-Board Member
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline rchaze60

• Master Outdoorsman
try and get more members involved in our functions

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
free adult beverages in chat!! :ROTFLMAO:
welcome back RC!!!

randy aka bh
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
More member giveaways!
You really don't want to give away members do you?
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline iceman

• Master Outdoorsman
free adult beverages in chat!! :ROTFLMAO:

Never seen you in there Bone Head
On a quite nite up north you can almost here the deer laughing

Offline iceman

• Master Outdoorsman
So you want to improve MNO ?

When you have a outting and you say you plan on being there you do your best on being there ..theres NO backing out at the last week or so !

as far as giving away more prizes it won't help  ::violin:;
 it's only a mater of time this will be the best mn based web site out on the net  :rock:
On a quite nite up north you can almost here the deer laughing

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
how about a little public service thing like posting a list of people that want a donated deer this season. Lets eliminate the middle man and the $70.00 per deer given to the processors.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
I think the site is doing fine for it's newness and I really don't know how you could improve it. Maybe a chat, that ppl don't get booted from so often. I have noticed over time that forums are a lot like clubs or volunteer org., You may have a large no. of members but only certain ones particebate all the time. The rest will only jump in when something of real intrest to them is going on. Some people never take part but only join to have another site to surf.

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
There is something definitely wrong with the server. I have a hard time just looking around on the site. It comes up with a white screen and says done. Then I have to go back and try it again. Any body else have this problem?
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
There is something definitely wrong with the server. I have a hard time just looking around on the site. It comes up with a white screen and says done. Then I have to go back and try it again. Any body else have this problem?
:;hijacked::
yes hunter... our provider is having issues that they don't know about because everytime they check, it's fine.
we are working on moving off.

back to the subject at hand...
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline icebanger

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
bfg why do you think the thread was hijacked its a serious problem...i think hunter is right on subject  ::cheers::
« Last Edit: September 09/05/07, 12:57:23 AM by icebanger »

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
Icebanger, that's exactly what this thread is for, for our members to communicate to us what they would like to see happen on MNO to make it better...being able to sign on and navigate around the site sounds like a pretty good and necessary way to improve it to me....it's not a hijacking by any means!   ;D

Things are in the works to resolve this issue, it may seem like it is taking longer than it should (believe me, I feel the same way you do), but please know that changes are in the works.    ;)    ::rockon::   

Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline rchaze60

• Master Outdoorsman
ok i have to say something......... How long does it take to get a different server? not long at all... a new server can or could of been put in place in a matter of hours...... now you all can get mad at me or whatever but that is the way it is not trying to be negative or anything just voicing my right as  a member here who cares about our site and I dont want us to lose members because of this lets..... get of the log and get it taken care of and make this site the best it has ever been ..... ROCK ON MNO !!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
ok i have to say something......... How long does it take to get a different server? not long at all... a new server can or could of been put in place in a matter of hours...... now you all can get mad at me or whatever but that is the way it is not trying to be negative or anything just voicing my right as  a member here who cares about our site and I dont want us to lose members because of this lets..... get of the log and get it taken care of and make this site the best it has ever been ..... ROCK ON MNO !!!!!!!!!!!!

No one should get mad at you for voicing your opinion on this Randy. It is definitely a frustrating situation for all of us! I am having the same issues as everyone else and I am very frustrated as well! I wish more members would post their thoughts and let us know how we can make things better for them.
 ::cheers::

Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline GirlGuide

• Master Outdoorsman
  • (aka ~gg)
Okay,...I was going to stay out of this one..BUT...after at least 3 weeks of trying to go from page to page on here..I am still having the same issues, and it sounds like ALOT of other people are too.  It has gotten VERY frustrating..I have stopped posting mostly because everytime I try to get to another page, it continues to error out on me..and I just don't have time for this anymore.  We do have a WebMaster here right..Hedrocks...is anything being done about this problem?  And if so, when will it be fixed?  I love this site so much, but like I said I do not have the time for this anymore. So to our webmaster "Hedrocks" I do hope these server issues are resolved a.s.a.p. like MNO has said it would be.  And I do hope they are back better than ever VERY SOON..but when is VERY SOON? 

And John(BFG)...I have to say I think you were WAY out of line in telling Hunter that he hijacked this thread....The "subject on hand" is how to improve MNO.  People here are posting their opinions in how the site could be better..not being able to navigate throughout the site I would say is a HUGE problem.  I KNOW that YOU personally have been working on this and I thank you for that, but other people might not know this..So I can see how this would be frustrating to you.  But I think you should just let them voice their own opinions/frustrations.  The question in this thread is "how do you think we can help improve mno"...so if people are posting the problems they are currently having with mno..I think you just need to deal with their frustrations.  FIXING the current problem would defiantly help improve mno wouldn't you think?  Also maybe getting Hedrocks more on top of the reoccurring problem that a lot of us our having would help a lot.  Isn't that what WEBMASTER'S are for?  Again, John..I don't mean to go off on YOU about this, I know and have heard that you personally have been working on this. 

Okay ...said my peace.

gg

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
This thread is for anyone to post idea's for improvements.  It is okay to mention the improving the hosting server as an idea.  I am sure BFG was not trying to offend anyone.  He was trying to lighten things up on a difficult and frustrating subject. We know that we are dealing with technical problems (server issues).  Please also understand that John (BFG) and the rest of our admin team has been taking a lot of heat on this subject (so they are just as frustrated as the rest of us).  It is encouraged to post idea's and thoughts to improve MNO in this thread.  Please continue to do so.  I also asked to keep things positive in this thread.  Let's keep our chin up and stay positive.  We can get through this together.
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
And John(BFG)...I have to say I think you were WAY out of line in telling Hunter that he hijacked this thread....The "subject on hand" is how to improve MNO. 
hold everyone... I am sorry... I didn't imply anyone hijacked the thread... I put that there cause I , ME, I was hijacking the thread with my post.  I wasn't reading this all correctly I guess until GG posted this.  I hope that clears things up? ;D
« Last Edit: September 09/05/07, 04:06:36 PM by JohnWester...big_fish_guy »

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Okay,...I was going to stay out of this one..BUT...after at least 3 weeks of trying to go from page to page on here..I am still having the same issues, and it sounds like ALOT of other people are too.  It has gotten VERY frustrating..I have stopped posting mostly because everytime I try to get to another page, it continues to error out on me..and I just don't have time for this anymore.  We do have a WebMaster here right..Hedrocks...is anything being done about this problem?  And if so, when will it be fixed?  I love this site so much, but like I said I do not have the time for this anymore. So to our webmaster "Hedrocks" I do hope these server issues are resolved a.s.a.p. like MNO has said it would be.  And I do hope they are back better than ever VERY SOON..but when is VERY SOON? 

Blah blah blah blah (I added this part GG)  :ROTFLMAO:
Okay ...said my peace.

gg

I'm with you 110%-I've stayed out of this mainly because it's not in my hands to control it.  I do know that Hedrocks, BFG and others have been working diligently on our end to make sure the problem isn't the site.  How soon is soon?  Who knows.  But I know that no one is happy how things are in the current state.  With this being said I have something to offer everyone who is frustrated.

I did a lil investigating on my own, and this is what I came up with on our host & server problems.  I hope this will help bring some closure until the problem is resolved!

This is Bob.  Bob is the server tech./ host guru assigned to the MNO case.  Bob's parents knew early on that he'd need all the help he could get.  Therefore they named him BOB-this way he could spell it backwards and still have a pretty good chance of getting it right!   :ROTFLMAO:

And this is the crack investigative team assisting Bob with the problems.

Thanks for your time!   ;D
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline Pete

• Outdoorsman
I know I only have a few posts on here, but being that I visit a number of forums on a regular basis, I thought I would chime in.

One big thing that I don't care for on this site is the number of ads. I realize that to keep the site free to the public and whatever else that sponsors are necessary. It just seems very cluttered for lack of a better word.

On one forum that I'm on, each sponsor has their own forum section. The members can actually post questions and directly contact the sponsors. This really cuts down on the amount of ads too. There are still banner ads and everything, but it's just one at the top and the rest is kept pretty clean.

That's just my two cents.

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
I agree with Hunter, GG, Outdoors Realtree...and all.  Lately my surfing time has been limited and when I log on just to get the old microsoft "cant  be displayed" page.  I end up logging off if I can even do that.  Its pretty frustrating when I came here to have some fun.  I have thought the guys working on the server problem probably have other jobs and are having a tough time getting it done.  So Im not complaining but its a bugger for sure.

Things I like that could be enhanced to make MNO better are the Question of the Day, JOTD, Member profiles could include a little brief description of the person and show a buddy list.  Thats just what I came up with for now.  If I think of something else I'll post that too.

Cheers to all.   ::cheers:: ::dancinred::
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
I know I only have a few posts on here, but being that I visit a number of forums on a regular basis, I thought I would chime in.

One big thing that I don't care for on this site is the number of ads. I realize that to keep the site free to the public and whatever else that sponsors are necessary. It just seems very cluttered for lack of a better word.

On one forum that I'm on, each sponsor has their own forum section. The members can actually post questions and directly contact the sponsors. This really cuts down on the amount of ads too. There are still banner ads and everything, but it's just one at the top and the rest is kept pretty clean.

Hey, thanks for that input pete... that's good to know.

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline Pete

• Outdoorsman

Hey, thanks for that input pete... that's good to know.

I didn't mean for that to sound bad, and hopefully no one interprets it that way.

All in all, I think this is a good site. I try to get on at least once a day and browse around. The personalities on here are superb. Some other sites host a lot of bickering, but this place has a lot of good, friendly people around.

Edit: I've only used it a couple of times, but I like the chat feature on here. That's really cool.
« Last Edit: September 09/05/07, 09:45:17 PM by Pete »

Offline Russ-Judy

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
One thing Iv noticed over the past years is that there are less get togethers in different towns- where the site starters are becoming less involved in such as- why isnt there a place to meet in St Cloud, Garrison, Brainerd, Southern Minnesota, Northern Minnesota, etc--say every 3 or 4 months where the promoters and owners of the site, sponcers can just get together for a time, have a few, meet the other members of those areas, shoot the breeze and just enjoy, bring a friend along to get them interested in the site and start talking on the site with there input instead of just being viewers

I must come from the "Old School Way" where we could just sit and bs without packing for a fishing trip, hunting trip, packing for a 2 day stay, etc--just hop in the car, stop in visit and be able to go home the same night knowing you met knew people and enjoyed it a spent a small amount of money and time to do it

Russ&Judy

Offline WoodChuck

• Master Outdoorsman
  • " Minnesota Outdoorsman supporter"
 8) very good point ,russ and judy we need more people to share their ideas and input with us . hopefully we can be more apperciative to our many friends and members that will come and visit our get togeathers and share time and conversation for all .

woodchuck ::welcome::
"i am not the KING FISHER , nor the fisher of men , but i am a fisherman "    membership n. 141

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
One thing Iv noticed over the past years is that there are less get togethers in different towns- where the site starters are becoming less involved in such as- why isnt there a place to meet in St Cloud, Garrison, Brainerd, Southern Minnesota, Northern Minnesota, etc--say every 3 or 4 months where the promoters and owners of the site, sponcers can just get together for a time, have a few, meet the other members of those areas, shoot the breeze and just enjoy, bring a friend along to get them interested in the site and start talking on the site with there input instead of just being viewers

I must come from the "Old School Way" where we could just sit and bs without packing for a fishing trip, hunting trip, packing for a 2 day stay, etc--just hop in the car, stop in visit and be able to go home the same night knowing you met knew people and enjoyed it a spent a small amount of money and time to do it

Russ&Judy

exactly russ... keep it simple!  I love it.  e should just do a friday evening thing in the cities... and then one up in say grand rapids for those people, rochester... or bemidji...  thanks russ!

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
This has been a very good read. Thanks to all who have chimed in! Keep'em coming ;)

Offline rchaze60

• Master Outdoorsman
yes it has been ....... a few people have voiced their concerns with our website which is really cool to see.... thats what makes this a good site to be a member of  :rock: :rock:

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128

Russ&Judy

Excellent suggestion, I would love to see that put together for the great folks of MNO! Thanks for the great ideas!  ;)
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman