Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: How did your first weekend of bow hunting go?  (Read 7557 times)

Offline GirlGuide

• Master Outdoorsman
  • (aka ~gg)
Well Bowhunters...Let's hear it...How did your weekend of bow hunting go?  Anyone?  Anyone? Let's hear some stories or even better let's see some pictures to back those stories up!!  :ROTFLMAO:  gg

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
(posted in another thread opening day)

Well Day 1 is over....for me.

I worked all day today and was able to get out for the evening hunt. I was in my stand and ready at 5:05pm. I felt pretty confident going out but that confidence faded as the evening went on. I guess there is not much to write. I didn't see a thing. The area I chose was pretty thick so it limits my view but nothing came through where I wanted them too! I will give this stand another try in the am and will hopefully share a more eventful report.

Offline Don Stenseth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Don Stenseth's Wildlife Photos
well Girlguide, this was my best opening weekend ever. I saw 6 different Bucks with this one being the biggest by far. I saw him early Sunday morning in some pretty bad light so I hope to see him again in better light. I ussually do not see Bucks like this untill late oct. early nov. so this was a nice treat for me and really got me pumped up.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Don Stenseth's Wildlife Photos

www.sitekreator.com/donstenseth

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Besides Saturday morning being about as perfect as it could be weather wise.  Nothing else much to report.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline GirlGuide

• Master Outdoorsman
  • (aka ~gg)
well Girlguide, this was my best opening weekend ever. I saw 6 different Bucks with this one being the biggest by far. I saw him early Sunday morning in some pretty bad light so I hope to see him again in better light. I ussually do not see Bucks like this untill late oct. early nov. so this was a nice treat for me and really got me pumped up.

Wow!!  Don, that is one monster buck, I do believe I would actually pee my pants if I saw something even close to that one!!   :ROTFLMAO:  It's sad I know..but sooo true!!  I'm glad to hear you had your best opener ever, that is awesome!  Do you hunt ever or just take incredible photo's all day long?  ::dancinred::  gg

Offline Don Stenseth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I used to be a hunting fanatic. Bowhunted daily after work and every weekend. I had a number of successful seasons and then 12 years ago I got serious into wildlife photography and I enjoy it so much that I have not hunted since. I have enough hunting friends that I always get a few steaks for the grill.

Offline GirlGuide

• Master Outdoorsman
  • (aka ~gg)
I used to be a hunting fanatic. Bowhunted daily after work and every weekend. I had a number of successful seasons and then 12 years ago I got serious into wildlife photography and I enjoy it so much that I have not hunted since. I have enough hunting friends that I always get a few steaks for the grill.

Don, by looking at all of the beautiful pictures that you take I'd say you definately made the right choice!!  And because of your decision we ALL get to benefit by looking at your beautiful photography!!  If you ever run out of steaks, I'd gladly give you some of mine, as long as I can keep enjoying your photo's!!  You are a very impressive photographer and I for one look forward to each and everyone of your post!
Thanks Don!! gg

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
    • The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club and Straight River Archery Club
That is one beautiful looking Buck Don! I echo GG's earlier post...you definitely made the right choice and I am glad to be one of many of your beneficiaries! Thanks for sharing your awesome pics with us here!   happy2.gif
The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club-Board Member
Straight River Archery Club-Board Member
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline Stensethfan

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Don, awesome pictures!!  You know I love them because I have sat with you when you have taken so many and I have bought my fair share as well!!  Opening weekend was a lot of fun.  I was able to get my Fiance into the woods to hang her first stand and then was able to sit on the ground with a Doe, Fawn and 6 pointer within 20 yards of us for 20 minutes.  Thank god for Scent Killer!  I am scared because the bride to be might end up a better archer than I!  Was able to get out again last night and to my dissmay shot right over the back of a nice 9 pointer.  I am happy to report that it was a clean miss and the Buck wasn't completely spooked either.  Hopefully he stays in the area.  (Closed cpationed to Don Stenseth...Buck fever got the best of me and I used the 30 yard pin instead of the 20!!!!)  I am so glad to not be imune to Buck fever or I would have to give up the sport all together!!
Don't shoot anything you do not plan on eating ~ D. S.
If the women don't find you handsome at least they will find you handy!  Red Green

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
Sten. welcome to the I missed club  ;D. Oh to count the ways or things that can make you miss with a bow. Thats what makes it so much fun and challenging. Not getting excited anymore about taking a deer is one of the things that got me serious about bow hunting and useing a handgun during rifle season.
 I haven't been out at all yet,was going to hang stands today but it has been rainin all day.

Offline regenscheid

• Minnow
Hunted all evening and saw a whole lot of nothing. then on the drive out we saw 3 nice does running out of our field so thats encouraging at least ::cheers::

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Don, awesome pictures!!  You know I love them because I have sat with you when you have taken so many and I have bought my fair share as well!!  Opening weekend was a lot of fun.  I was able to get my Fiance into the woods to hang her first stand and then was able to sit on the ground with a Doe, Fawn and 6 pointer within 20 yards of us for 20 minutes.  Thank god for Scent Killer!  I am scared because the bride to be might end up a better archer than I!  Was able to get out again last night and to my dissmay shot right over the back of a nice 9 pointer.  I am happy to report that it was a clean miss and the Buck wasn't completely spooked either.  Hopefully he stays in the area.  (Closed cpationed to Don Stenseth...Buck fever got the best of me and I used the 30 yard pin instead of the 20!!!!)  I am so glad to not be imune to Buck fever or I would have to give up the sport all together!!

Hey welcome to MNO   ::welcome:: party3.gif  Im sorry you missed but agree that its better to totally miss so you know the deer isn't wounded.  He'll be back especially with the rut coming up soon.  He wont know or care which way hes runnin.  Im also very happy for you that your fiance hunts with you. You're a lucky man.

Grute
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline Don Stenseth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Hey Luke, Good to see you here. Luke is my Nephew  and an avid Fisherman and Hunter and also one of my main sources of Venison. I hope that I do not hear that "M" word to many times.

Offline Stensethfan

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
You know that the "M" word does not come out of my mouth to often, but then again how could it, you were the who taught me how to shoot and be accurate!  I still appreciate it!  Thanks again!  I should have a delivery of Venison coming for you to!  Hopefully I can swing buy with in an hour or so of the kill with some tender lons for you this fall.
Don't shoot anything you do not plan on eating ~ D. S.
If the women don't find you handsome at least they will find you handy!  Red Green

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Welcome to MNO Luke!  ::welcome::  It's great you could come and join us.  Good luck bow hunting!
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Well I didn't make it out opening weekend but did get out the Sunday after opener.  It got up to 85 degrees and I nearly fainted from the heat as I was leaving.  I felt fine un in the stand but once I packed everything up and out, I was getting very overheated.

I kicked up 3 deer but never saw a single one.  The leaves are still very full so even though the seasson is open, Mother Nature is saying "Its too early" to me.

One of those deer was right next to the trail I was walking down and I saw a deer path very close so I stepped into the woods hopeing to get a good look or maybe a shot.  I looked and looked and looked and never saw that deer.  All I heard was 2 loud clomps of its hooves so how far could it have gone?  Do they have secret hatches to hide from us under ground?  I think Bugs Bunny and Willey Coyote had a lot of those?  :ROTFLMAO: 

I tell you what really burns my butt though is that on the way home, I see a nice buck run across the road right in front of me; nothin all day then this!  He had one hoof up to his forhead in the shape of an "L".  Whats up with that??

Well I'll get out again for sure on Oct 12 so there should be a huge change in the scenery by then.  And I pray that its cooler!!

Grute
« Last Edit: September 09/24/07, 12:24:31 PM by Grute Man »
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
Went out this morning with the intenion of hanging a couple stands by where I rifle hunt.The whole area is 8 to 10 year old slash. To my suprise the paper company that owns the land went in ad hand thined the whole area, it will take me two days to cut trails open to the stands again and to top it off I left my cell phone laying out there some place. So tomarrow I get to spend cutting trails and looking for the phone. Life is so full of treats. :ROTFLMAO:

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
bring another cell with ya trip and keep calling your
number! if your batteries are still good.

randy aka bh
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline GirlGuide

• Master Outdoorsman
  • (aka ~gg)
Went out this morning with the intenion of hanging a couple stands by where I rifle hunt.The whole area is 8 to 10 year old slash. To my suprise the paper company that owns the land went in ad hand thined the whole area, it will take me two days to cut trails open to the stands again and to top it off I left my cell phone laying out there some place. So tomarrow I get to spend cutting trails and looking for the phone. Life is so full of treats. :ROTFLMAO:

Oh Pops.....can't I ever leave you on your own for ONE day?  ::banghead:: :ROTFLMAO:
Well, if you don't have another cell phone, let me know...I will call you tomorrow when you are in the area...and keep calling and calling and calling until we find it!  Sure hope it's not getting rained on!  Geez...do I got to do everything??? ::hittingself::  gg party3.gif

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
GG, It sure did get rained on this evening, dern ting weren't much good anywho.
Tanks fer de offer to dingle the bell but dem c phones dont work much up der. Comes to tink on it i tink it be on vibe, you be able to tickle the ship out of a leaf. lol