Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Sporting Clays  (Read 2296 times)

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Well I got invited to a sporting clays outing yesterday with my co workers an what a great time.  I've never shot sporting clays before nor an over under so it was all new and fun.  There were 2 different courses and shot 100 targets all together.  I got 35 but hey, Im a greeny so I feel that's not too bad.

My company started doing this because they would hunt pheasant together but not do so well.  Now that they started shooting clays together, they limit out every day they go pheasant hunting.  That's the next thing I need to get invited to.   ;D

If anyone is thinking about it, don't think any longer.  Get to a gun range that has sporting clays with 3 or 4 friends and go for it.

Grute
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
My son inlaw was invited by some of his co-workers. He said sure but he had never done it before. He ended up out shooting them all and they strated giving him a bad time about saying he had never done it. He had never shot the sporting clays before but he is a avaid quail and pheasent hunter.

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Watch it guys... sporting clays is very addicting!  It started the same way for me, outing with guys from work, next thing youll be selling your boat and giving up golf...but its all good!    -thunderpout 8)

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Golf?  What's that?   :ROTFLMAO:  I hear you there Thunderpout.  I was admiring those over unders but the prices are too steep for me right now.  They said the "rental" we used sells for $1900. 

Hey Trip, I hope they didn't give him too much grief.  Good shooters like to shoot together so they should feel lucky that they met him.  They just met someone like themselves; people of a kindred spirit.  If he was turned off by that, tell him there is an endless line of folks who would like to shoot with him.

Now anyone who has never shot before, you could be just as good as Trip's son in law and you don't know it yet.  GET OUT THERE AND SHOOT!!!  fudd.gif
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
I finally went for the 1st time yesterday at Prior Lake Horse and Hunt Club courtesy of Scherer Bros. Lumber. What a great time.
Tell me though what does a round cost? Or league for that matter. I have been debating sport shooting but I think it is time I start.
« Last Edit: September 09/22/07, 11:53:32 AM by kenhuntin »
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Its usually 18-25 bucks for a round of 50 clays depending where ya go, and not are all the same...some courses have one trap and a trapper follows you around the course, station to station, others are automated somtimes having two electric throwers so you have two different targets and you pull your own targets!  You"ll get better quicker at that type of place but they're all fun!  Leagues are the best deal,  The one I shoot on in the summer, is 100 rds a month, April thru August, and if ya get a sponser to fork over the sponser feeits pretty cheap, the shells are where your $$ goes.  At Wild Marsh up by Big Lake they have 5 man leagues and Buddy leagues for two people.  look up the MSC (MN sporting clays) website to find all the good courses closest to you and for prices....

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Yo Grute Man,  Dont think ya need a expensive, fancy target gun to shoot sporting clays... When I started shootin league ten years ago, my buddy shot an old S&W 12g pump, and used it for five years before gettin a Berreta 391.  I used a little 20g o/u grouse gun w/24" barrels and the first year we took 2nd place in the two man buddy league, only got beat by the range's owner and son who was a trapper there!  When and if ya start gettin a little more serious, and try a few tourneys you can get somthing nicer!  I've bought/sold /traded half a dozen nice clay guns since, trying to find the perfect gun that will bust every clay I see... :ROTFLMAO: So far I havent quite found it... :whistling:        -Thunderpout 8)