Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: learning to shoot  (Read 2726 times)

Offline drifter295

I've been an avid waterfowler for some time, yet have never quite mastered the art of swinging when I shoot, whats the secret?  Is there anyone willing to teach me or direct me to a palce I can learn from someone who can advance my fundamentals?

Offline Faceman

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
It takes alot of practice. If you have access to get to a gun club that has trap or skeet, try them out. Skeet is really good to practice swinging. The come out fast and you got to shoot fast but you have to swing to catch them and you have to follow through. If you do try skeet it is a little intimidating at first, at least it was for me. It is hard but it helped my swing and after a few rounds I was hitting way more birds and loved it. I have since quit my gun club and do miss it. I was shooting trap league for about six years and skeet league for a year before quitting. I found it very enjoyable and great practice. Also met alot of avid sportsmen and women there.

My first skeet round I think I got 8 out of 25. After about 3 or 4 rounds I was then averaging 22 out of 25 with getting one perfect 25. The other guys I shot that league with were mad at me because they shot that league for 4 years and never got a 25. They had lots of 23's and 24's but no 25's.

Whatever you do good luck and have fun.
Vegetarian: Old indian word for bad hunter.

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
One analogy I heard somewhere years ago that I think about from time to time is: (stick with me on this)  Your sprinklin your lawn with a hose in your yard, a smart arse kid rides by on a bike and flips ya the bird and laughs, now he's flying by at a good clip...to squirt him with the garden hose, if you aimed it straight at him and swung it at the same speed he was movin, the stream of water would be 5-6ft behind him right? The solution would be to get the front of the hose out in front of him a certain needed distance and follow or speed up to his speed, and then soak the little bugger...picture the curve of that stream of water looping back and hitting the kid as you're swinging.  Thats exactly what your shot pattern/stream is doing on the way to your moving bird/target...You'll hear all kinds of methods as what kind of a swing or technique to use, like percieved lead, follow thru, etc. ...but to me, most people miss targets because they either stopped swinging their gun when the pulled their trigger or they didnt match the speed of their barrel to the targets speed...to be consistant with your swing, it should be a natural thing ya dont really think about when you shoot, which will only, like faceman said, come with practice.  When hunting, it is an instinctive thing,(or luck) When shooting clays, its recognizing what the target is doing, & where its going to be when your shot pattern intercepts it.  The Skeet range is a great place to practice the swing...and remember...dont stop the barrel when ya shoot, alot of people do it without realizing it! another thing to do without blowin alot of shell $$ is practice in your house!  Put a small mag type flashlite in the muzzle of your (unloaded) shotgun and swing it along the ceiling where it meets a wall and follow that line with the light beam.....Hope some of this will help, but practice will make perfect, uless ya practice the wrong things! ;)       -thunderpout happy2.gif

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Well Im as green as St Patric's Day compared to Faceman and Thunderpout but here's what a friend taught me once.

Always move both hands together when lifting the gun and aiming.  many people try to just aim with the left and shoot with the right (for right handed shooters).  You need to move it all together.  What this will do is actually have you move you entire shoulder girdle around to constantly be facing off to the target.  AND followthrough!!!!

Like they said, it takes lots of practice (which I have neglected hence my shade.)
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Yer right on with the mount grute, thats another animal, and in addition to the swing, its somthing you cant over- practice.  But one very important thing...the only time ya should "aim" a shotgun is at a turkey, or launching slugs at a deer.  Flying targets require your eyes to be focused on the target, your hands bring the gun to your cheek, almost like your anchor point when you draw back yer bow...and the torso, in combo with your arms and your gun move to the target.  A good way to practice the mount is look at an object on a wall, and mount your gun and its supposed to go to the object without adjustment...if it aint happening,  you've got an inconsistant mount, and/or gun fit issues..... fudd.gif     -thunderpout happy2.gif

Offline Hank

• Outdoorsman
Hey guys,one more thing to add about Thunderpout's gun mount technique.If you look at a spot on the wall with your gun down then shut your eyes without moving your head,thenn mount the gun you will be able to see a little easier what the problems are with your gun mount.Otherwise with your eyes open the whole time you might not mount the same every time because it's easier to lose focus of the gun mount. If you haven't tried this,give it a shot.(I must be getting better at typing , this only took me 17minutes!)

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
I like the closing the eyes part...it'd make you more "honest" about not adjusting your mount.  Adding to the mag light training deal,  I also have seen laser boresighters for 12g's that would also work well for swing practicing indoors...   -thunderpout happy2.gif

Offline drifter295

Thanks to all who have responded and given me some excellent advice, not only do I appreciate it, but I believe my lab won't look at me anymore as if saying  "well what's your excuse on that shot"  I am putting your advice to good practice, and hope it will cure my latest ailment over time.  Good luck to all of you, be safe

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Drifter...I hate ta tell you this, but...In all humbleness (if thatz a word) Im a pretty darn good shot, and my setter still gives me that "look" all the time... :ROTFLMAO:   Ya just TRY to get em to give it to ya as often.......      -thunderpout 8)

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
 oops2.gif I meant to say, try to get em to give it to ya LESS often!   (geez!)      -thunderpout ::hittingself::