Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: wind and time question  (Read 5467 times)

Offline psebow

• Outdoorsman
People talk about "watching" or "understanding" the wind.  Could you dumb it down for a beginner.  I know I need to be down wind, but if the wind changes what am I to do?  I am in my stand...is getting out and moving an option?  Do I put scents up to disguise my smell?

Also, any advice on when to get into my stand?  Let's say shooting time is at 6:45 am...do you recommend being in at 6:15, 6:00, 5:45?  Any advice would be helpful. 

How come I feel like I have so many questions?  How does everyone know (and keep straight) all this stuff??

Thanks, Craig

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
This morning legal shoot was at 7:18 and I was in my stand by 6:45. I wanted to be there a bit earlier but a half hour will do. Gives it time to settle down and hopefuly any deer in the area will resume their normal routine if I happened to spook them. It also depends where I am hunting. One time I had a stand that I had to walk through field where I knew they would be feeding. I was sure to get to my stand at leat an hour ealry for that one giving them plenty of time to hopefully forget about me. Trial and error my friend and the earlier the better, it can't hurt.

If I am hunting a stand with the perfect wind and it happens to change I sit. I am already committed. I don't have enough stands to make it work everyday but I do my best. So I really focus on taking good care of my clothes and keeping them as scent free as possible. I keep all my clothes outside after being washed in scent killer soap. I walked out my front door today in my boxers and my socks. I had everything from my long johns to my outer wear hanging out last night. It was a bit damp ;D but it dryed right away and it was warm this morning ;D

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
In the mourning I like to be in the stand 45 min early and at night 2 1/2 hours before quiting time.
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
I've noticed the wind never blows in just one direction.  There will be gusts in nearly every direction.  Don't try switching stands all day even if you have that many.  You'll just scare every deer in the area away over and over.  Like Mayfly said, I try to keep my clothes smelling like the outdoors.  When I do wash them, I use scent killer.  Then I let the stuff from the outdoors get all over them and then store them in plastic bags.

I shoot for an hour before leagal shooting time but with kids and such, Im usually pushing it very close.

Don't ever be shy about asking about this stuff.  We all ask because we're all interested.  Folks who don't ask either think they already know it all or they just aren't as excited.

Have fun, shoot straight, and BE SAFE!!!
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline psebow

• Outdoorsman
I like the idea of using planks across the creek, it just seems unaturual and might be something too new to the deer that walk near the creek?  I think that is a good "off-season" job for me (not to mention it's my parents land)

I think I am going to spray down my waders real good...make them (almost) scent free and then place them discreatly next to a tree (50 yards away from my stand) to make sure  they don't cause me any issues. I am unable to bring them in the stand and wearing them is not an option.

I have my stand set-up about 20 yrds from the creek (in the woods in Hinckey)....I love the view but it might not be the best spot.  Any insight on deer and creeks/water?  I assume they drink (duh!)...but do they walk through it..do they like water?  Or did I put my stand in a bad spot?  I am hoping they walk by the creek...good tall grass...and lots of tracks...I just don't know how they act in/near water.  Thanks

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
OH no that sounds like a bad spot.  you better let me come take a look and lets move you somewheres else.  :whistling:  Seriously, get there early, be quiet and stay late.  If that's a major drinking spot for them, they will be there.

Good luck.
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
Deer cross  creeks all the time, and it desn't bother the a bit to be in water. I once help track a buck in the Prinicton area. He took us across the Rum river 3 times. Your set up sounds good. If you walk the creek bank you will probly find a spot that the dee like to use to cross it.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
You will really learn your deer the more time that you spend out there. There are many trails and many different directions the deer travel. You will have to spend some time in this stand to see if and when that area is active. I have spots that you will never see a deer in the evening and then if your there in the am you will see a ton of deer. Trial and error just like everything else. I assume you put your stand there becasue there is some good deer sign correct? Tell us about the land? How many acres? Find out where the deer are moving to in the evening to feed, that can be a huge piece to your puzzle. As far as a creek? That will not stop the deer. Depending on the width and depth they will either walk through it or they will jump it.

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
Somthing else you may want to do is start keeping a log each time you go out. Date ,wind direction, direction  deer were traveling , if you see any, time of day, stand location. doing this will help because you can look back and is if there is a pattern to their movement.

Offline iowabowhunter

• Outdoorsman
  • 2006 Buck
Somthing else you may want to do is start keeping a log each time you go out. Date ,wind direction, direction  deer were traveling , if you see any, time of day, stand location. doing this will help because you can look back and is if there is a pattern to their movement.
A very good idea.  I'm going to try this!  Thanks man.

I think you should sit just OFF a main trail (15-20yds) with multiple shooting lanes for that trail but still be able to take the longer shot at anything on the other side of the creek.

-a deer will usually jump completely over a creek unless it's really shallow.  I've seen deer wade across wider creeks but only when shot and fleeing.