Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Bow Hunting beginners  (Read 5736 times)

Offline Robbo17

• Outdoorsman
? to anyone---- I am thinking of starting bow hunting next year- My daughter wants to start with me. I will be a left handed shooter and I think she will be a right handed shooter. I don't have much money to get started in this, but don't want to deprive here of the chance. Do I teach her to shoot left handed or do I buy a bow for each of use. If I have to buy a bow for each of us I would be willing to work for a trade. I would be willing to do some sheetrocking for trade. 17 years exp of sheetrocking And take pride in my work.

Robbo :help:

Offline ice_bandit

• Outdoorsman
You would be better off buying a bow for each of you.  No two shooters are going to shoot the same, so you would always be resighting the bow in.  Also if shes right eye dominant and your left eye dominant you should be shooting the bow that corresponds to that.  talk with Barry or Matt from minnesota archery they can help you out with questions and may be even able to get you into a pretty nice beginner bow setup at a fair price.  there number is 320-693-2061 or just pm them on this forum.

Offline MnArch

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Minnesota Archery
I would agree with ice bandit on getting two separate bows.  Especially if you both have different eye dominance.  There are many options you can choose from when it comes to getting started in the sport and staying within your budget.  Just let me know if you need any help. 
Matt @ Minnesota Archery Inc.
You're welcome at
Minnesota Archery
Litchfield,MN
(320) 693-2061

Offline Robbo17

• Outdoorsman
Matt,
Need all the help I can get, Where are you located in Litch. May have to make a run down there sometime.

Robbo

Offline psebow

• Outdoorsman
This is my first year bow hunting and let me tell you...it is an addicting sport.  I have a 1 year daughter and I dream of her wanting to spend time (someday) with me in the woods, so....it might cost you a few bucks up front but it's money well spent.  From my (limited) expereince...taking up bow hunting has been a lot of time, a lot of practice, a lot of reading and some $$ (land, bow, arrows, release, stand(s), camo...etc..etc).

good luck and go for it!  You won't regret it.   :happy1:

oh-yeah...and ask a lot of questions on this board.  I have received a ton of good advice!

Offline Pegg

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
You are going to need two different bows. You can train muscles to shoot but you can not train the eye too. You can buy a few different bows to get you started with out spending a lot of money. A lot of shops should have last years bows on sale now. I know Cabelas does and a few other ones do as well. Any ? let me know. I work in an archery dept. I only work there part time. I only do it as a hobby, but it is fun and between a few of uson here we can help you go in the way you need to go. :dancinred:
If today was perfect. There would be no need for tomorrow.

Offline Robbo17

• Outdoorsman
I thank everybody for all the good info, I never thought about the eye dominance thing.
Ok-- talking about the Eye dominance thing, How do I find out which eye his her dominant eye. I feel like these are stupid questions but, heck, I would rather feel stupid here for a short time than feeling stupid for a long time in the woods. I was looking at bows today, A couple of them said 70 lb pull strength(I think).  What would be recommended for me and her, She will be going on 14.

Again thanks everybody, and you will be getting alot of ? from me, because I have no knowledge of bows.

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Have her hold her hands straight out from her body (like making a gun with her two hands held together).  Then have her keep both eyes open and aim at something on the wall.  Next have her close one eye at a time.  When she does this, which eye is still aiming at the target and which eye is off a little to one side?  The eye that is still aiming right at the target is the dominate eye.
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline MulletvilleSprtsmn

• Outdoorsman
  • A day hunting,with my boys and gunner = paradise
I have a older browning Lh bow sitting here collecting dust 50.00 obo.  Bow and quiver. It's a Browning magnum II.
Hunt and Fish FIRST,    there's always time to WORK.....

Offline Robbo17

• Outdoorsman
Where are you located at

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
I MAY HAVE SOME SPARE ACCS THAT YOU CAN HAVE , ILL GET BACK TO YOU AFTER THE HOLIDAY ... MAYBE ENOUGH TO OUTFIT A BOW .... :happy1:

Offline Model12

• Outdoorsman
Way to step up fellas and get two more shooters into the sport. When you start off, you always have to start somewhere and figure out from there what equipment you want/need. The offers here are great ones and hope you take them up on it. As you use your first setup, you'll learn a ton about the game and have fun doing so w/your daughter. Hopefully your newfound enjoyment will be passed along to someone else. Have fun.
We all have three memorable trips in our lives...the first one, the last one and the next one.

Offline CentralFishingClub

• Outdoorsman
 At joes sporting goods in st. paul you can get two for under 500 without extas, that might seem like a lot but it is a very good price. good, quality bows too.
NEVER GIVE UP!