Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Squirrel Hunting  (Read 4215 times)

Offline DontShootMe

• Outdoorsman
Anybody like to go squirrel hunting?:taz:

Edited by Spinach.
« Last Edit: November 11/20/07, 10:29:05 PM by Spinach »

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I have a buddy who does some squirrel hunting. Why do you ask? Actually I had a squirrel problem and I invited him over to clean the place up.  :happy1:

« Last Edit: November 11/23/07, 09:56:46 AM by Outdoors_junkie »

Offline DontShootMe

• Outdoorsman
I have a buddy who does some squirrel hunting. Why do you ask? Actually I had a squirrel problem and I invited him over to clean the place up.  :happy1:

Have you eaten squirrel?  I tried it once at a celebration.  I cannot remember if I liked it or not. 

I heard squirrel hunters like to shoot running squirrels in trees, and wanted to find out if this was true, or just a malicious rumor on the part of a bow hunter. :oops1:  I also heard the guy who got shot in the face recently with a shotgun was shot by a squirrel hunter, not sure.   I have killed a rabbit, and although it stinks when you're cleaning it, it doesn't taste too bad.  :fudd:

« Last Edit: November 11/23/07, 09:56:20 AM by Outdoors_junkie »

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I do not eat squirrel but my friend does. Running squirrels? No, he uses a 22 with a scope or a 410. Moves through the woods very quietly and stays in one spot mostly sitting in the ground waiting and then snipes them.

And as far as what your buddy the bow hunter says? Who knows? There are a lot of wild people out there doing stupid things. 
« Last Edit: November 11/23/07, 09:55:08 AM by Outdoors_junkie »

Offline DontShootMe

• Outdoorsman
There are a lot of wild people out there doing stupid things. 

Nah, I think squirrel hunting might have something to do with dietary preference and desire to hunt them. Political correctness shouldn't prevent the truth from being spoken.

Also, bow hunters like to be steathy which can make for some dangerous situations.   :fudd:

Not assigning blame, I think visual confirmation of target should be required on the part of small game hunters.

And I think bow hunters who sit quietly in full camo while somebody with a gun is walking nearby is asking for trouble.  Better if they say something like "Hey, I am in full camo over here, please keep your distance."

Of course, these are preliminary opinions, willing to consider other viewpoints.

Does blaze orange camo work?
« Last Edit: November 11/23/07, 09:55:30 AM by Outdoors_junkie »

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
i will eat a squirrel or a rabbit.  I used to go alot, but not so much lately.  they are very easy to clean.  and you cook them in a crock pot with potatos and carrots... the meat falls right off the bones.  very good indeed.

and yes, the preferred way to hunt them is a 22 w/scope and snipe them.  shoot them in the head, save the meat.
« Last Edit: November 11/23/07, 09:55:50 AM by Outdoors_junkie »
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I like to eat squirrel my prefered way is to put them in a crock pot for a bit for tenderness then pan fry in breading.

On a side note an older fellow from town here (originally from texas) will take all the squirrels I can get him. He likes them pan fried also but leaves the head on. He says the best part is the fried squirrel brains. Well I don't know but I have an open mind when it comes to grub so I told him on day I'll stop by to try it. Never know til ya try it.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Unless ya come down with a case of "mad squirrel disease"! :rotflmao: :bonk:     -thunderpout :happy1:

Offline Faceman

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I eat squirrel as well. I like the grays not the reds. I most definately love rabbits.
I even got tricked into eating porcupine stew. I had a neighbor that called me up one day and said he had rabbit stew on the stove and wanted to know if I wanted some. I was there before he hung up the phone. I had a bowl full and asked him what it was, I knew it wasnt rabbit. He insisted it was rabbit and I called hime a liar. He finally admitted it was porcupine and I had a second bowl. Then I asked him how do you clean a porcupine? He answered "very carefully". I havent had any since but it was good.
Vegetarian: Old indian word for bad hunter.