Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Freezing Cold Sitting in a Tree......Video Added  (Read 12127 times)

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
Supposed to be in the 20's by midweek, don't put the bow away yet.
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Supposed to be in the 20's by midweek, don't put the bow away yet.

No bows are going away until I get a deer even if I have to hunt into January!  :bs: Just kidding ;D

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
I wish we could hunt in January.  I guess I have to stop at some point soze I can take my kids ice fishing a few times.   :fishing:

Well I agree though -- NO BOWS GET PUT AWAY TILL 12/31 after sundown.   ;D

I'll be getting out once next weekend.  I goofed up and thoght I had both days open.  Umm we have Christmas at my sister-in-laws house on Saturday  :cry:  BAH HUMBUG!  I wanna go hunting!

Don't give up McFly.  I know you'll get one.
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline GirlGuide

• Master Outdoorsman
  • (aka ~gg)
I wish we could hunt in January.  I guess I have to stop at some point soze I can take my kids ice fishing a few times.   :fishing:

Well I agree though -- NO BOWS GET PUT AWAY TILL 12/31 after sundown.   ;D

I'll be getting out once next weekend.  I goofed up and thoght I had both days open.  Umm we have Christmas at my sister-in-laws house on Saturday  :cry:  BAH HUMBUG!  I wanna go hunting!

Don't give up McFly.  I know you'll get one.

Remember Grute...it's never too early or too late for CHRISTMAS SPIRIT!!  I think you needed a little reminding...  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: gg

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
the beauty of muzzle loader season is that there are so few people on the prowl for deer in that bitter cold.
the ugly part is trying to sit in the deep freeze long enough to make the sit pay off.

My buddy Joe hunted in Bagely, MN to close our muzzle loader season.
we woke up saturday morning to find -12. we were out before daylight and stayed out until 9. it was -17 at that point.

I sat for 45 minutes on a high chance trail -crossing area. no dice. I made my way to the south field to sope out the edges on the north side of the field for browsing/bedded deer. they had been there and their were beds up the ying yang, but no deer.
I turned north to head cross country, hoping to catch something un-aware.

the packed snow was loud and squeaky. so I chose to stick to the deep untouched snow.
that was the ticket for quiet, but it took its toll on a body. I could navigate it alright, but it was a lot more exhausting.
I crossed a slew strip onto another piece of high ground. this was like coming in the back door to yet another bedding / browsing area.
we haven't touched it all season.
there weren't a lot of tracks, but there were enough to make it interesting. as I made my way out from the lower hardwoods area coming from the swamp, I tried to be careful not to announce my pressence to the world, but it was so cold ever twig I encountered had a nice SNAP to it.
this area I was coming into is a meadow type area, with scattered jackpines about 20-25 feet high. add in some intermitant buck brush with open areas on a rolling terrain and you get the picture.
as I made my way into the meadow area, having given up hope that I might slip up on something, I was content that I would likely kick something out past my hunting partner.
as i was climbing the first slight hill, I was absolutely shocked that thirty yards away was a doe, no two deer, the first doe was moving up the opposite side of the hill towards me!
I imediately dropped to my knees and ready my self for a certain shot.
I was turned perfectly, the hammer was back and I waited..
and waited..and waited...nothing.
I peeked up a little to see what was the hang up and I could just see her ears twitching.
ok, I thought, I've been through this before, it's a matter of waiting the deer out til they advance on their own.
while keeping tabs on her position I figured I also had better try to judga how many more there were so I knew how many sets of eyes ears and noses I need to account for when I went for the kill shot.
I could see the second deer tugging on the jack pine boughs and another deer moving brush, so that made three...but then, yet another set of legs coming from under the jack.
as it made it's way out i could see the snow covered face and the RACK!!
that big beautiful RACK!!
it too was white with snow and about an eight point!
holy smokes....naw...holy $hit!! is more like my expression.
I just could not believe that I stumbled on these deer like that and they had absolutely no clue I was sitting over the hill thirty yards away!
keeping my cool, I decided it was still my best chance to remain low and just barely peek over the knoll to keep tabs on them so they didnt come out where I did not expect them.
there must have been another deer that came in or they crossed each other or something, I could'nt quite tell, but I lost track of which one was the buck for a moment.
I thought it was the one on the right and all I could see was deer head stuck up in the boughs nibbling away. by the time I realized it was the buck once again, I could tell  now through the buck brush that it was now looking right at me!...NO!
yep sure as it was -20 degrees, he did a couple head bobs to try to make me out.
he can't possibly know I'm here??!!
the wind is going crossways and my profile is just alowing me to see the tops of their heads through the brush. after the third head bob, he instantly spun and bounded out of sight, dragging his harem with him  :banghead:
never to be seen again :cry:

I keep thinking back to something I could have done differently.
I could have taken a head shot, but I really did see that doe heading my way and I did believe I would get a good solid chance at the buck.
if I would have stood, he would have been gone before I could have gotten the gun up.
I believe I did every thing I could have outside of taking a risky shot. that's not my style.
I like a nice solid shot.
no, I just think it was yet one more way to torment me with the one trophy that has eluded me for thirty years.

I'm good with it.
it was cool to actually slip up that close to them.
I will get another crack at yet another buck and I will either get him or not.
take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Good story but frustrating as hell...I thought you had him! I even scrolled down to see the picture before finishing the story but all I saw was thay guy banging his head on the wall ;D  That answered my question right there. Good story though! :fudd: :bambi:

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
you did a good job by not taking a risky shot.  there is always next time... right

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Jiggs, you're the man.  The "thrill of the hunt" is exciting and its only really rewarding if we KNOW in our heart that we did it right.  There will always be next time.
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline Model12

• Outdoorsman
Mayfly,

it's good to see so many posts from you in the bowhunting forum. Seems in the past you were strictly in the upland forum and no doubt you have returned to bowhunting and are neck deep in it! Best of luck and post more videos.

We all have three memorable trips in our lives...the first one, the last one and the next one.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Mayfly,

it's good to see so many posts from you in the bowhunting forum. Seems in the past you were strictly in the upland forum and no doubt you have returned to bowhunting and are neck deep in it! Best of luck and post more videos.

Thanks, The year after I got my dog I dissapeared from bowhunting. To have a pheasant dog again was a dream come true. This year I was fortunate to get access to some great land right out the back door so I had to! And I am glad I did! I have been getting the video itch latelty. I think by the end of the year I will put something together. I put the player back on the front just thinking about it. I have a couple ideas........ ;)

And we still have time left! I have to head out of town for a few days to help some famliy with a tree farm but when I return my bow will be in my hand ;D and maybe my camera.....