Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Trapline Pix  (Read 3470 times)

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
here is some pix of my trapping adventures.

there is a coon in the bottom left

Offline LLtaxidermy

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Thanks for the pics minkman. Never trapped before it looks like a lot of fun!!
Lee Ledford
Leland Ledford Taxidermy
507-990-5882

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
its a rush you get to be up close and personal with many animals that some  people have never seen. it can be very frustrating at times when you have that smart animal that digs your trap. moves it outa the way, or what beavers do best stick sticks in them. But when you end up out smarting them your frustrations are gone and its time for a victory dance..  :party1:

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
here is a high class mink.. Got him outa a very speny resturants garbage shed lol..

Offline rchaze60

• Master Outdoorsman
cool pics

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
High Minkman,
    I saw the trapline pics and I have a question.  In the picture were the coon has its paw in the little tube (trap).  What is that trap called?  What is it baited with? Where do you get them?  What do they cost?  We trap coons buy a 2 acre sweet corn field using big live traps and marshmallows.  We can't use leg hold or conibars because we will kill all of the farmers cats.  Last year we trapped over 40 coons in 2 weeks using only 3 traps.  The coons still ate over half of the corn. Any help would be appreciated
DaKids
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
dakids

The coon you see in the photo were taken with a trap called the lil'griz trap. It is a trap that is species specific depending on what you use for bait. If you want to stay away from cats use a fruit type bait. If you buy your bait be sure it has no catnip in it.

I have some experience with these traps. They are a great trap to use in the situation you described. I've caught coon, skunk and cats with them. I don't believe anything else could possible get caught in them. There are a number of traps that opperate on the same principles as these do and none of them are cheap compared to a leghold or conibear but by far cheaper than live traps. You will prolly have to look for them at a local trapping supplier as I haven't seen them in any hardware or fleet stores.

Any more ?'s feel free to ask.
« Last Edit: December 12/26/07, 01:42:17 PM by GRIZ »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
High Minkman,
    I saw the trapline pics and I have a question.  In the picture were the coon has its paw in the little tube (trap).  What is that trap called?  What is it baited with? Where do you get them?  What do they cost?  We trap coons buy a 2 acre sweet corn field using big live traps and marshmallows.  We can't use leg hold or conibars because we will kill all of the farmers cats.  Last year we trapped over 40 coons in 2 weeks using only 3 traps.  The coons still ate over half of the corn. Any help would be appreciated
DaKids

What griz said is true, but what he forgot to tell you was that i have a coon bait that i make and sell. I have never got one skunk or cat using this bait. I can also get you some of the lil griz traps, they run about $20 bones a trap though. But if you look at it this way, You buy 12 or 24 of them they will pay for them selfs in one or two nights. I have  yet to come to one the is sprung and not have a coon it it. There is no chewing or foot damage at all. Traps are very fast to set. I pre bait all of my, so all i have to do is set and stake. I would say i take most of my coon with the lil griz traps.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
  Last year we trapped over 40 coons in 2 weeks using only 3 traps.  The coons still ate over half of the corn. Any help would be appreciated
DaKids

With a catch percentage like that, it means you only had 2 traps empty in an entire 2 weeks. I would say you definitly need to set more traps at that place. The way it sounds I myself might set a dozen there.

About minks bait, he wanted me to try it out but I never got it until to late for coon. So all I could do is nose test it. I'm lookin forward to trying it next yr. It has a nice sweet smell that should work real well.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
We have found that the marshmellows work great, cheap and if you get hungry just eat a couple.   Where do you guys live? I am in the western metro.  We also got a blind coon that would not leave the side of a coon that was in the trap. Great 2 for 1. 
 Thanks for the help.
DaKids
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
I live in the Bush  :rotflmao:  I am in dertoit lakes...  and yes marshmellows work great i have tried them a couple times. But with no strong smell you will not pull a coon in from a long distance. i have never seen a blind animal that i know of..