Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: How to trap a beaver  (Read 4373 times)

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
Under ice beaver with 330s or snares

Step 1.) Chop around house to find runs. if you cant find them buy thin ice listen for the sound to change will sound more hollow. Don't for get to check for bank runs too lots a big beaver hang out there (or thats what i have found)

Step 2.) after finding run chop bout 2 feet by 2 feet as close to the house as you can.

Step 4.) feel the bottom ether with feet or stick and find hole in the house were the beaver are coming out * if bottom is hard then beaver are coming out on the bottom * if bottom is mucky the beaver are coming out higher* if coming out higher you should be able to feel the top and bottom of the hole were they enter or exit the house,

Step 5.) set blocking off stick in run like in pic assume that the white dish is the run. you want to square the run on the sides and place them bout 13 to 15 inches apart. you can do this by placing your heal on the one stick and knowing your boot length you can go off your toe for the next stick.

Step 6.) setting trap height if bottom is hard trap can sit all the way down set trap on trap stake with springs folded in like in pic 1 bellow if deep run determine were the trap should be on the stick and pull springs out like on pic 2 below.

Step 7.) place traps in run in front of blocking off sticks like in pics below pic on show es hard bottom run pic two shows mucky bottom run assume white dish is the enterer's or exit hole.

Step 8.) goes with step 7 placement of the swivel stick to prevent the trap from moving. place smaller stick in cross ways through the top conner of the traps jaws (make sure you don't cross the jaws on the inside. if this happens you will more than likely miss the beaver see pics above for swivel stick placement.

Below is placement with a snare

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
Before some one says why not just use H stands. I do not like them to much to carry and if you are dealing with trap smart beaver they will avoid them at all costs.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
So if you were to set 10 of those traps in one day how many beavers would you have the next day? Do you check it daily?

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
well if i was to set 10 i would get 10 beaver  ;D. i check daily some people check every third day. all depends. if they are smart beaver the will tend to hold up in the house and chew around your traps or put sticks in your trap that is when you bring in the snares.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
well if i was to set 10 i would get 10 beaver  ;D. i check daily some people check every third day. all depends. if they are smart beaver the will tend to hold up in the house and chew around your traps or put sticks in your trap that is when you bring in the snares.

Those are good odds! So how many beaver houses do you have access to??

Do you do most of your trapping on public land or private lands???

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
i have lots of beaver houses i could trap. most all on private land, some public. this year for some odd reason i do not have the motavation to go after them. last year i trapped around 120 beaver.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
You forgot to mention not to use fresh sticks. Use weathered sticks or the beaver will chew ur sticks up. Thats one way of makin a beaver real smart. :bonk:

How often do you use snares? I seldom use them under ice unless dealing with smart animals.

10 out of 10 maybe you should have taught me that. I thought I was doing good with 24 beaver in a week out of 6 traps.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
yeah i did forget to mention use old sticks off the house.  I use snares alot of the time. much more easyer to work with. and you usally do not educate any of the beavers.