Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Looking for a gun smith  (Read 3181 times)

Offline Mnbuckhunter

Where can I take my Remington 700 bdl, 7 mm mag to get it accurized?  I would like a good gun smith who can do trigger and bedding work. An suggestions? It's a stock rife that shoots, well but I would like it to a tack driver.

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Ahlman's....they do great work, they even have a catalogue of their services and prices...a bit out of the way, but worth the drive.  They're down 35w on the way to cabelas... they have a website, dont know the adress off hand.   -thunderpout

Offline huntr42

• Outdoorsman
for a first rate gunsmith see pat laib in spicer

Offline Hank

• Outdoorsman
ditto

Offline snmann

• Outdoorsman
Ahlman's.  There work is first rate plus you have to see their shop.  A "Gun Nuts" paradise.

http://www.ahlmans.com/

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman

DITTO
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
O.K., I got a question, This is a TRUE story.

I have a Model 29 Savage pump with an ocktagon shaped barrel.
I traded it for some fish house windows, anyway, I took it to Gander Mountain for repair cause when you fill the mag tube with 22 longs they would all pile up in the chamber when you pulled the pump back. So, I had this gun there for a week, I called, then 2 weeks, I called, then 3 weeks, I called, anyway 3 months went by with them having this gun. I finally got ahold of the gun smith, he told me he couldn't fix it, he said that I had the front 1/2 of a model 29 and the back 1/2 of a model 29A. He said to put it above my mantel and not use it and he charged me 100 bucks anyway.

The question I have is, Who in their right mind would take 2 guns and swap parts to make both guns non-functioning? Or is this guy pulling the wool over my eyes cause he didn't want to fix it, or didn't know how?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline huntingmaxima

• Outdoorsman

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
mnbuck, accurizing is great but some times the trouble with a gun not shooting to satisfaction is in the ammo. maybe changing brand ammo, bullet weight, bullet shape, balistic tip, boattail, flat base, all these things can affect the acurrcey of  a gun.i haven't bought shells for years, i load my own, but when i was even getting 2 boxes of shells with different lot # could make a difference in accurcey. One thing about accurizing your gun should be set up to performe at it's best and the rest is up to you find the rite ammo to use in it.

Offline huntr42

• Outdoorsman
pat laib in spicer,he just may be the best in the five state area,Ducks as other fav smiths throw things

Offline JackpineRob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Playing with rifles is just plain fun.

Sometimes annoying, sometimes heartbreaking, but when things work out, a shooter's heart sings and all is right with the world.

Lots of Rem 700's out there.  Most of them are shooters right out of the box. 

Nothing wrong with a custom trigger - an easy job, a simple thing - and can take a good rifle and make it better....... in the right hands.

Nothing wrong with a bedding - an easy job, a simple thing - and can take a good rifle and make it better....... in the right hands.

Funny thing about rifles.  As Trip mentioned, many times a simple ammo test can take a good rifle and make it better..... in the right hands.

Before you start accurizing, analyze what YOU think the gun needs, and proceed cautiously.  If the trigger has some creep, or you simply don't like the feel of the break, by all means take a good look at a trigger job or a drop-in like the Timney. 

If you detect some wandering in heat or cold, maybe a bedding job is called for.

By and large though, most of the reasonable bolts such as the Rem 700 need little more than to be fed the right ammo.

If you want an epic story of man against gun, including tears, destroyed scopes, rat-tail files and outright aggravation, Benny can attest that I have been there and done that.  He graciously got me on his home range when my frustration was at fever pitch, and range options were limited.  The gun in question was a Browning BAR, and after the dust settled and the tears dried, turned in groups that even a rifle geek like myself finds acceptable.