Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Dec 23rd Ice and Fishing Report  (Read 1279 times)

Offline WestWindResort

• Outdoorsman
  • West Wind Resort on Upper Red Lake
    • West Wind Resort
Update on the ice conditions first. We now have around 12 to 14 inches of ice in most of the areas we have checked. Our average in the houses we have set up is 13.5" and I have seen 19" in one spot. The ice really has varied in thickness this year because of the blown and drifted snow. The drifted snow is very hard and is tough to drive through, so use caution when getting off the roads. Also getting off the road is VERY important to us. Drilling a hole too close to the road will cause flooding and then a bad spot for us to have to plow around. So please try and get at least 100ft from the road before you set up your house. I have also plowed several paths to the north side of the road and marked them with two stakes making an X. The paths are for anyone to use to get off the main roads. The road goes out about 3 miles now, and I have also made another smaller road that follows a possible pressure ridge to the NW another 1/2 mile. The water depth where we are is 12.5 feet deep.

Now the fishing report!!! The walleye bite has been excellent the past 2 days. Guys are picking them up mostly in the morning from around 8-10 am and in the evening from 6-9 pm. The crappies are still hard to find but a few are being caught. The pike are still out there wherever you find walleyes. Last week I watched an angler pull up a 43" northern on a tip up he has set. He was one proud fisherman!! Hope this helps,and have a great holiday!!!
West Wind Resort
54719 Hwy 72 NE
Waskish, MN 56685
218-647-8998
www.westwindwaskish.com