Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What type of portable do you use?  (Read 9722 times)

Offline Ice Hunter

I use a Clam 2000, it's a good little fish house.

Offline Hank

• Outdoorsman
Me and the old man have a permanent up on Mille Lacs,otherwise I use his suitcase style house.

Offline thrasher

• Outdoorsman
Still got me an older Fish Trap III. Clam was clearing out canvas, so I just replaced the tent for $75. Nice size for 2. Can use it with 3 but gets cramped and thats alot of holes. I had an 8x8 suitcase but want to be more portable on the ice.

Offline Moneymaker

I have a Eskimo Pro 2 man suitcase style which sets up fast and is lite. However I am looking to sell it and get either a Yukon or X2.

Offline ThunderCAT

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Well, I ended up getting a Yokon last weekend!  :happy1: Got a great deal on one from a private party - $420 for a brand new in the box unit!  :rocker;  Took me and a buddy only a couple of hours to put it together, and we went straight to the ice. I fished Sat and Sun out of it, and I gotta tell ya, I love it!  :dancinred:  Very comfortable for two to fish out of, and a breeze to move around from spot to spot with. Still need to accesorize a little: rod holders, sled cover, etc. But I did just get my center console today, and should be getting my license holder any day.

All in all I am very excited about the purchase and can't wait to fish out of it again this weekend!  :party1:

Thanks to everyone for their reviews and opinions!  :toast:

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
Sounds like I need a Yukon :dancinred:
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline ThunderCAT

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Well, I don't have experience in any other trap style house, but can tell you I am loving my Yukon so far...nothing wroing with it as far as I can see. I can even load it on my own when it's full of gear...and when solo it doesn't pull bad at all (by hand). Very happy with the purchase...

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
Well, I ended up getting a Yokon last weekend!  :happy1: Got a great deal on one from a private party - $420 for a brand new in the box unit!  :rocker;  Took me and a buddy only a couple of hours to put it together, and we went straight to the ice. I fished Sat and Sun out of it, and I gotta tell ya, I love it!  :dancinred:  Very comfortable for two to fish out of, and a breeze to move around from spot to spot with. Still need to accesorize a little: rod holders, sled cover, etc. But I did just get my center console today, and should be getting my license holder any day.

All in all I am very excited about the purchase and can't wait to fish out of it again this weekend!  :party1:

Thanks to everyone for their reviews and opinions!  :toast:

Congrats on the new Yukon.
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
make sure you get the traplink  :happy1:

Offline ThunderCAT

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
nobody I go with has a linkable house...

Offline Cousin Kyle

• Outdoorsman
I have a Sportsman Suitcase style 4 x 8.  Its light and sets up really quick!

Forum maintenance
Pass the Worms, Pass the Beer

Offline McGurk

• Outdoorsman
I fish out of an Otter Pro Cabin that was put together from a craigslist steal ($55.00 for an Otter med sled, towbar, and installed hyfax runners) and going directly to Otter in Maple Lake.  I emailed ahead and ended up purchasing the canvas and poles together for $150.00 as a factory second.  The poles were brand new, and the canvas was setup in a store as a display, and just had a little dust on it.  I modded it, and have been very happy fishing both by myself and with one other person.
Good Luck! McGurk

"I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!"

Offline thrasher

• Outdoorsman
PS - You don't need a shelter liscence anymore unless your house is unoccupied over night.

Offline sunk1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • member #536
I have a clam5600 and 6800. wishing I had an Otter.  Easier to move with the fish.

Offline Duckslayer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
 I have a Yukon as well.  i like it a lot!  It' got enough room for two and not that hard to heat.  I have the link pieces but like was said before I dont know any one else that has one.  Maybe I will have to get one for my son as a wedding presant!  Yeah, that's the ticket!  Then we could fish together and each have our own house!  Hmmm, now I gotta get that one by the Lil Mrs.  Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Offline DaveI

• Outdoorsman
Otter Lodge and an Otter Ultra Wide Cottage for me.

Offline FordF-150

Fish trap guide, Easy storage, easily used with 1 person, and big enough for 2 people.

Curtis

Offline rtk343

• Outdoorsman
YUKON  YUKON  YUKON 

Yukon not go wrong with a Yukon. It fishes two men extremely well. I bought one two years ago and my only complaint is that I waited too longto get one.I had an older suitcase style before. I do wish there was a window in the back (because I'm nosey) but otherwise it has been great. Fished Winnie last year when it was -20 without windchill and was in my shirt sleeves in minutes. I have a MR. Heater style heater and had it on low, when I had it on. You can store almost too much gear in the sled and it fits easily into my full size short box truck. I can load it by myself and it pulls nicely. I did put the steel runners on the sled though because even after one year of pulling across gravel, tar and cement on ocassion, there was visible wear on the bottom. Right now I have the hitch on it too and it pulls with ease behind the 4 wheeler.Which is a 1986 Polaris 250. So you know it pulls easily. ;)
FYI be sure to have a 12 pack of beverages and a friend to help you put it together.
I'd rather be sittin' on the ice.

Offline vanheelt

Moved up fron the original Fish Trap II last year to the Yukon and just love it. 106 lbs is light enough for one to get it in and out.  One problem was it would not fit under soft topper on 01 ford super crew, problem was easily solved after i found used topper. I love it for 1 man but it is real comfortable for 2, I just put out a tipup. Just spent the weekend at the 29th Annual Eel Pout Fest, Walker, MN. Had a great time but only caught 1 small walleye. 20 below and I stayed warm and even got in a nap. This house has been used atleast 2 days a week since hard water. Bought cover and tow bar for behind snowmobile, tows real nice.

Offline Chet

• Minnow
Nice thread goin but I haven't read many replys on the pros or cons of an insulated house. I was in gander a wile back and seen a new Farbill R2. Sweet unit but spendy, what you guys think. Tax returns (and the wife) both say ok on a new ice house but need help in making my decision-insulated or no? Brand over another? I have a super old canvas suitcase that strains a few of my aging muscles so it'll be a good day when that's replaced.

Offline bemidjiman

• Outdoorsman
Nice thread goin but I haven't read many replys on the pros or cons of an insulated house. I was in gander a wile back and seen a new Farbill R2. Sweet unit but spendy, what you guys think. Tax returns (and the wife) both say ok on a new ice house but need help in making my decision-insulated or no? Brand over another? I have a super old canvas suitcase that strains a few of my aging muscles so it'll be a good day when that's replaced.

I would have to say go with the insulated. Some of them may be a bit more bulky and a little more weight to them but that only matters depending on how you transport. I am never without my sled so weight isn't that much of an issue with me. You can really feel the difference in warmth and when the wind is howlin and it is 10 degress outside you will have a more comfortable sturdy house. If you have the money go for it! You will be happy. Hell, go to Gander and get a pakshak to go with it and haul em both out. Base camp warm and insulated housle and if you want to hop and stay out of the wind pak on the mini shak.