Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Lake Trout opener is great!  (Read 3540 times)

Offline Halversons on Crow Lake

• Outdoorsman
    • www.halversonsoncrowlake.com
Happy New Year!

The 2008 trout season has started out great!

What can be better than walking out your front door and landing 4 trout bang, bang, bang,  Yep & we didn't even have to get out of bed early.  Caught on 'laker takers', does not seem to matter what color, in 40' of water it was sure easier than travelling across the lake. We have one guest who likes to fish with a large hole so he can watch them swim around.  He saw 14 fish in around 14' of water most of them lookers but he landed a 4.8 lber, on a white tube jig of course.  The trout are finding some shiners to eat but they still are hungry.  Others in the area have been catchin' them like crazy.  The gold cleo is working, the trout seem to be striking them more aggressively then the tube jig just a straight cleo no bait.  Fishing in 40' of water some are watching the bait fish move through suspended at 20' with the trout behind.

The ice conditions are also good.  The slush has frozen up nicely there is still some in narrow areas or where the snow has built up by shore but sled travel is good especially with the recent dusting of snow.  There is a good 8 - 12".

With a couple of cooler days Lake of the Woods has also frozen up well.  Still not recommended for truck travel a sled is getting around good.  Most areas have 8" but be aware travel only in areas you know since there has been some reports of thin ice in spots.
The fishing for crappies is still awesome. Schools of crappies were constantly on our vexlar and they were biting steady. We were fishing in forty-four feet of water and the fish were suspended from thirty six to thirty eight feet. We limited out in short order. We suggest keeping any size for your limit because at this depth most of the fish die and the average size is excellent right now. Glow in the dark jigs tipped with half a minnow seemed to produce the most aggressive bites. A good friend of ours who has been out a few times says he is consistently catching them at just a little past Cherry Island. At wood pecker or party corner the bite is good, only a 10 minute sled ride from us, hit or miss by Hay Island.  Some are catching them in Stevens Bay there is 8 - 10" of ice out there with some frozen slush on top, a bit of slush by the shore to but the going is good.  They are fishing just off bottom with a tiny brass swedish pimple and minnow head.

With the weather warming up over the next few days it will be interesting to see how it affects the bite, happy fishing.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Halverson's located on Crow Lake & Lake of the Woods, Nestor Falls, Ontario, Canada.  Open year round with light housekeeping cabins & guide service.  Check out our website:  www.halversonsoncrowlake.com

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
Lake Trout   were to do i sighn up??????

• Outdoorsman
Check us out www.halversonsoncrowlake.com. Our trout season has just begun & they are biting on almost everything right now & if your interested in some crappie action it's been good too.
Halverson's located on Crow Lake & Lake of the Woods, Nestor Falls, Ontario, Canada.  Open year round with light housekeeping cabins & guide service.  Check out our website:  www.halversonsoncrowlake.com

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I've always wanted to ice a laker. Never even tried ice YET but they are fun in open water, prolly more fun on ice though.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
id like to ice one too i heard they fight like crazy

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
do you have houses to rent??? 

• Outdoorsman
Sorry no ice huts to rent.  Right now the weather is so awesome your not about to freeze.

Trout are fun to catch thru the ice they are still deep which means you need to reel a lot before they surface & when they do you need to get a good size of fish up a small hole & they do not want to see the light.  I have played them when they take off a few times, making your reel squeel, before you actually see them in the hole then you have to get them on the ice ...

You really need to pick a good spot when you ice fish for trout moving around its not so easy as in a boat.

by the way these trout are awesome eaters ...

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I was looking on your site at cost and I did not see a price or the option for a guide on the ice?

Do you offer an ice guide trip?

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
i was wondering the same as Tim.. i am not a big fisherman but. i do fish alot of trout if that makes sense.....

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
i was wondering the same as Tim.. i am not a big fisherman but. i do fish alot of trout if that makes sense.....

I'm not a big ice fisherman but Trout through the ice is something that has always intersted me! From what I have heard you fish them deep and its a hell of a fight! And great eating!!!

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I was also wondering.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
maybe we should all go.... ill bring the

• Outdoorsman
Finally a reply to the guides for ice fishing.  Yes we can set you up.  We have now added a page to our website to included what we had missed, thanks for pointing that out.  Here is the info in a nut shell

Guide only:
$150.00 per day up to four guests

Guests are required to supply mode of transportation for guide

Guide with own transportation:
$200.00 per day up to four guests

Please bring:
·   Your truck, sled, fourwheeler or whatever you will use to travel
·   Portable ice hut if you require one
·   Fishing Gear
·   Valid Ontario fishing licence
·   Auger if you like but not necessary as your guide comes with one.

Sorry this took so long, Dave & the Halverson crew

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
What does a person have to do to get a non resident Ontario fishing lic. Can they be purchased over the counter or do they need to be bought in advance? Not that it matters but what do they cost?
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
That is kinda compilcated Griz,
You can get a seasonal licence or an eight day. You can get either with a full limit or a conservation license. The sizes and limits vary from lake to lake. Conservation licenses allow only about one half a limit. Last years eight day conservation was $25. I think a season is around $40. Trout don't catch and live well after released. So I would suggest keeping what you bring up.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects