Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Talking to Wiley  (Read 3489 times)

Offline JackpineRob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

The author - everything worked this time!

Ever since I got my first duck call, I’ve been intrigued with calling critters.  It started with a duck call, progressed to turkeys, deer, fox, coyotes and even moose.  The moose in my avatar was called in with an open-reed call, very much like a coyote howler.   In the grand scale of calling though, predators – specifically coyotes – are probably the most frustrating, and fun.  The best part of it is – coyotes are available for almost everyone.

I can guarantee you there are guys out there who are a whole lot better at the game than I am, but no one has more fun with it.  When everything goes according to plan and my shooter drops a yote, my grin is a mile wide.  When I screw up the set-up and end up with Wiley right in my lap only to watch him escape as I go nuts trying to get off a shot, its time for a good laugh, and I’ve had my share of those kind of laughs.

This is a basic primer – enough to get a guy going.  Once you get your feet wet and drop that first coyote, money starts flying out of the bank account for new equipment.  Been there, done that.  Above all though, a guy needs to remember that if you forget the basics of setting up, you might as well stay home.

GUNS

Much has been written and discussed about the proper firearm to shoot a coyote with.  Truthfully, a lot of those articles are pumped out by guys who need something to write about, and what better than discussing ballistics and foot-pounds of energy?  The arguments never cease when you ask any two or more hunters about the “best” gun for any particular job!  In the world of varmint/predator hunting, those arguments and discussions are probably some the best in terms of splitting hairs, but I’m out there to dump a coyote, salvage the fur, and get along to the next set-up.  That extra 40 feet per second or 6 foot pounds doesn’t interest me. 

If you’re in wooded country, a shotgun gets the job done.  One of my friends has shot coyotes out of an airplane for predator control out West, and he used a 12 gauge pump loaded with #2 steel.  I have used both #4 buck and #2 copper plated lead at distances under 50 yards, and the coyotes don’t know the difference – they’re dead.

If you’re in open or farm country – there are a variety of center-fire varmint calibers that will all get the job done, if you do your part.  My criteria are real simple:  300 yard capability with minimal bullet drop, and enough wallop to put the ‘yote down without tearing him in half.  One of the most popular calibers is the .223, which fits the bill nicely, and has the added benefit of widely available ammo at reasonable prices.  Other popular coyote calibers include the 22-250, .243, 220 Swift, and my personal poison – the .17 Remington.  I save the hides on my yotes, and the .17 has proven to be very fur-friendly over the years.

If you’re using a rifle, invest in some shooting sticks.  You can make them out of dowel rods, arrow shafts, or buy them pre-made.  There aren’t many guys who can hit a target reliably under field conditions without a rest.  Add in some cold and excitement, and a small target, and the odds of a clean shot diminish.

Bottom line on guns when you’re starting out – use what you have and are comfortable with, within reason.  Obviously, a .300 Win Mag is waaaaayyy more horsepower than you need, and a .22 long rifle is a bit on the light side in most hands.  Guns like the .17 rimfires and .22 mag are on the lighter end of the scale, and a guy needs to keep his own capabilities in mind when using them. 

CLOTHING

If you’ve got field gear, you’re in business.  One thing you absolutely MUST keep in mind though is quiet.  Nylon that scrapes and rustles and crinkles (like your duck hunting parka) is not the best choice.  You are a predator after predators, and their hearing is absolutely phenomenal.  Match your terrain and background for color and pattern, and then worry about how you set up.  A good set-up is far better than the best camo!  More on that later…..

CALLS

30 years ago there were about 2 predator calls made (a slight exaggeration, but you simply couldn’t find calls in the stores).  I have an old Weems Wildcall, and a Lohman’s rabbit distress.  That’s what I started with.  Both still work.

A very good place to start is the rabbit distress.  It is a hideous and shrieking sound, and will catch the attention of virtually any predator in hearing distance.  You can find recordings on the internet, as well as many instructional tapes and videos if you’ve never heard a rabbit getting nailed for real.  Once you get the basics down, have at it.  A word of caution though – if your spouse doesn’t appreciate you practicing mallard hail calls or turkey yelps in the house, you might not want to practice the dying bunny either…..

Coyote howlers have really come on strong in the last 15 years or so.  They have their place, and in some conditions are the only way to go.  Howlers are a different level of calling – you need to put some time in practicing and playing with them, and not a single one of the “simple” howlers I have tried are worth a darn.  Sorry to upset the manufacturers, but it’s a fact.  I’ve got a whole box full of “simple, easy-to-blow calls”.  They’re worthless.

The best success for me has been using open-reed howlers, such as the Sceery or Johnny Stewart models.  You are looking for the big dorky-looking calls with the megaphone end.  If you decide to play with the howlers, you need an instructional tape or CD, and enough time to get comfortable.  An open-reed predator call is a bit like learning diaphragm turkey calls – it takes some effort.

A “squeaker” call is handy.  These are high-pitched low-volume calls that you use to coax a coyote the last few yards, or to come out from behind an obstruction.  I always have one handy when calling.  I use it maybe once or twice a season, but when you want it, it had better be ready to go.  Mine is on a lanyard around my neck, with the bunny call.

Electronic calls have become increasingly popular, since MP3 and other digital media suck a lot less juice than the old cassettes.  I still shudder remembering dragging about 50 pounds worth of electronic call through the prairies about 20 years ago, only to have the batteries fail by noon….  While I have played around a bit with them, my personal preference is for mouth calls – that’s just me.  If you decide to go with an electronic caller, good for you.  Please pay close attention to the set-up info below. 

THE SET-UP

Setting up to call is the most crucial part of calling a coyote.  If there’s a way to screw up a set-up, I’ll bet I’ve done it – more than once!  Like anything, experience helps, but I have a few thoughts and tips that can put more coyotes in your crosshairs.

Coyotes hunt for a living.  We hunt on the weekends.  Advantage – coyote.  They are in tune with what’s happening around them, and will vamoose if something doesn’t look/sound/smell right.

Look, sound, smell. 

Out of all of these, smell is critical.  Smell factors into where I set up, how I set up, and even IF a set-up will happen.  The coyote wants to come in downwind of you.  He hears the call, and comes running or trotting in.  He’s heard you, but he wants to smell what caused the ruckus. 

The rabbit is screaming – but he wants to smell the rabbit and more importantly smell what’s killing it. 

You have howled like a coyote – and maybe even taunted him to come and fight – but he wants to get a sniff of his opponent before he drops the gloves and starts brawling.

Like I said, they do this stuff for a living, and they are good at it!

Typically I’ll give a set-up 30 minutes or so.  Sometimes longer, if I’ve got a good feeling about it, but seldom less than 30 minutes.

FIRST RULE OF SETTING UP – CLEAR YOUR DOWNWIND

In wooded country, I try to use a lake, beaver pond or hill to my downwind.  Make the coyote expose himself.  Lakes/ponds are great, since the coyote wants to stay under cover almost as much as he wants to get downwind.  The shoreline can become a funnel.

In open country, I want at least a half mile of clear downwind visibility.  No folds or pockets the coyote can belly-crawl in (and they will crawl!).  In unfamiliar terrain, you can get fooled quite easily – it doesn’t take much to conceal a sneaking coyote!

A partner is truly an asset when calling.  My favorite technique is to put my partner – the shooter – downwind of me with a good field of view.  If we pull this off correctly, my partner has dumped the yote before I ever see him.  The yote is trying to sneak in downwind, but the shooter intercepts him.  This basic technique is useful both in the woods and in open country.

SECOND RULE OF SETTING UP – WATCH YOUR BACKGROUND/APPROACH

Let me repeat – these critters hunt for a living.  Skyline yourself, and they will spot you and leave.  Let them spot you walking in, and they’re gone.   Sit in a snowbank with brown camo and they will see you. 

Plan your approach so you aren’t skylined or visible walking into where you’re calling from.  Use the terrain to your advantage.  Come in quiet and stealthy.

As you prepare to set up, use bushes, trees, fences, or whatever is available to break up your outline.  If you can have the sun at your back, so much the better.  Especially for the caller, care must be taken to tuck in and not be obvious.  I’ve watched coyotes come in from over 2 miles, homing in directly on me.  Its almost uncanny how they know exactly where those sounds came from!

I enjoy hunting in the snow.  To me, nothing says “calling conditions” more than a fresh blanket of snow, so I can put on the whites and blend into any old snowbank or hillside.  Toss in a clump of brush or two and you can virtually disappear – as long as you don’t skyline yourself or thrash around.  Once a calling sequence starts, keep movements slow and to a minimum.

Once I am settling in to call, I’ll get my shooting sticks positioned where I expect the coyote to show up first, and lay the rifle over them, checking to make sure I can get the rifle into play quickly.  Then my calls are out and ready.  Finally, I check my partner – if we’re both thumbs-up I start calling.

THIRD RULE OF SETTING UP – QUIET

Did I mention that coyotes hunt for a living?  Let’s say you’ve done everything else to perfection.  Your position is good, the wind is right, your calling would have brought tears to Pavarotti’s eyes, and you can knock a tick off a gopher’s butt at 400 yards with your highly tuned rifle.

Of course, the coyote, being a coyote, comes in on your right side instead of straight in front or quartering left, and you need to shift to make the shot.  Your stocking cap catches a limb on the bush you’re up against, your jacket rustles as you shift your butt over, or maybe you have to sneeze.  All of these are out of place – and will spell disaster.

As you set up, clear out limbs, grass, snow or other things that can make noise or shake around and give away your position in the heat of battle.

A happy hunter, but read on!

ON A ROLL – AND EVERYTHING WENT WRONG

We had 4 coyotes in the back of the truck.  It was a good day of calling, and we hurried to find one last set-up before dark.  I was hunting with two partners – both excellent shots, and reliably steady. 

The valley looked great – except the wind was wrong – but I decided to give it a go anyhow.  We parked, bailed out of the truck, and set up our strategy as we trotted down the fenceline to get out of sight of the truck.

We violated the first rule.  Downwind was the truck, hidden by a slight hill.  I was calling upwind, with the two shooters also looking upwind towards where we knew there would be coyotes.  All three of us were watching upwind…….

Sure enough, as I started howling we got a response, and within minutes 5 coyotes appear about a half mile away across the valley, heading right towards the shooters.  It was getting dark quickly, so I threw caution to the wind and started challenging those coyotes to come get a piece of me – “YO, I GOT YOUR BAD DAWG RIGHT HERE”.

Seeing those coyotes, I then violated the Third Rule, and plopped my shooting sticks into a clump of brush and ice, and stuck ‘em in good.  Dialed the scope up to 9 power, and layed on another challenge bark…..  My rifle was rock solid, and in about under a minute 5 coyotes were going to be caught in the crossfire of three fairly decent rifle guys…..

Life was good!

The snow crunched behind me.  My neck started prickling a bit, and the growl from behind me confirmed the screw-up.  A large male coyote was less than 10 feet behind me, and he made a weird yipping sound as my head slowly swiveled around…..  My gun was anchored the other direction…. the coyote was doing the stiff-legged walk with his ears back and his neck hairs standing straight up as came in downwind now at about 4 feet growling…..

He winds me and screams – an honest-to-gosh scream.  I try to rip the rifle around, the 5 coyotes coming in scatter – and no shots are fired.  I fall back laughing – coughing and laughing.

My partners are PO’d.  I’m laying on the ground laughing, and we just missed out on an absolute shooting gallery!   They hadn’t seen what happened with me and the 6th coyote, but the tracks told the story after I convinced them that I hadn’t totally cracked.

Like I said, some guys are better at this game, but no one has more fun

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
Jackpine I nominate this to the best post for the 2008 emmys
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn

Me too. That was a great article/story!
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO

On the front Page and in the hunting article section now!

Thanks Jackpine!

Me too. That was a great article/story!

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
great article jackpine!

randy aka bh
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Harold

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
JackpineRob - Loved the article, especially the line "you're a predator after a predator".  Must have been pretty freaky to have that 6th coyote sneak up behind you. 

Next time my wife starts gettin on me, I'll just start practicing those rabbit scream calls in the house.  For anyone who has never heard a small rabbit scream while being disabled, pecked at and then picked up by a huge Raven, it'll send chills down your spine.

You have an awesome skill of being able to talk about your adventures in a down home and humerous way.  Similar (albeit better) to another Jackpine we all knew and loved.

Great Job & Nice Pics!!
« Last Edit: January 01/08/08, 04:57:43 PM by Harold »
My initial response was to sue her for defamation of character, but then I realized that I had no character.

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
    • The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club and Straight River Archery Club

Awesome article JackpineRob, just awesome !!! I bet that was the longest minute of your life so far having that yote 4 feet away in "let's get ready to rumble" mode. Thanks for sharing that excellent adventure !!!  :happy1: :happy1:
The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club-Board Member
Straight River Archery Club-Board Member
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
That is a great story, it reminds me of when someone got run over by a fox in a corn field.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
nice article  :happy1: