Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Putting Your Best Friend Down  (Read 7134 times)

Offline UncleDave

• Master Outdoorsman
With much agony and tears, I have decided to put my beloved 16 YO girl down this Saturday.  I have struggled mightily with this decision.  Everytime she looks at me with that trusting, loving, I am the one and only look, I second guess myself.  I KNOW it's time after a few weeks of indecision.  The excessive pooing, recently worse eyesight, poor hearing, and general senility in the past couple of years.  She has lost a ton of weight since a BAD one month kenneling a year and a half ago (at a local "famous" kennel who did a poor job with her).  Either way, I am heartbroken and wonder how others have handled this situation.  This will be my first time having to make this decision and I have soooo many scenarios bad and good of my horrid Saturday morning.  I am sitting with her now and she is so good and looks fine, but there are the bad days too.  Too many.  I hate this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   
« Last Edit: January 01/08/08, 08:50:58 PM by UncleDave »

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
I feel for ya man. I have had to do this a few times. It's never easy. It will take a few weeks to get over it. They both ended up with cancer. That made it easier because of the poor quality of life they were having. You find another best buddy out there. Good luck.
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline JackpineRob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
If you know its time - its time.  Truly a tough thing to do, and I feel for you.

The pooch has looked to you for 16 years, and when the time comes, you owe it to her to be fair.

We lost our buddy last summer - way too soon.  The pain is still there, but we tell the stories of his antics, and managed not to cry when I pulled his Christmas stocking out of the box when we were decorating.  We hung the stocking out in the garage below the dummy bags with the Old Dog's stocking, and put a pheasant tail feather in each one.

Hang in there.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
If your not sure take her to your vet and get a second professional opinion. That may help you make your decision and maybe if he agrees with you then it will give you more comfort.

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
i agree with tim, i too have had to do this and
it really s$%ks. i have had pets my whole life
and it doesnt get any easier the next time...
hard to replace a buddy, someone that will
always listen to you even if you screwed up.

prayers out to your girl..

randy aka bh
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Harold

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Dave - I know how hard this is going to be for you.  Kirby has had a great life and she has spent her last 16 years with an owner who has truly cared for & loved her.  Had you not come along when you did, who knows what her life would have been like.

It is time Dave and I know you have agonized over this for a while now. If you'd like, give me a call and I'll be happy to go with to the vet with you on Saturday.

Jim
My initial response was to sue her for defamation of character, but then I realized that I had no character.

Offline Wagz

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Dave I have done this too it is really hard .. But when you know it is right thing it has to be done. I will be honest and tell you that I cried when I put my lab down. I have a couple things people sent to me after wards that I will post here for you

Offline Wagz

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
A DOGS PRAYER......Treat me kindly my beloved master...for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of mine....Do not break my spirit with a stick...for though I should lick your hand between the blows...your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do...Speak to me often...for your voice is the world's sweetest music...as you know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear...When it is cold and wet...please take me inside...for I am now a domesticated animal...no longer used to bitter elements...And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth....Though you had no home....I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land...for you are my god and I am your devoted worshipper...Keep my pan filled with fresh water ...for although I should not reproach you were it dry...I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst...Feed me clean food...that I may stay well...to romp and play and do your bidding...to walk by your side...and stay ready. willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger....And....My beloved master...should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight....do not turn me away from you....Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest....and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew...my fate was ever safest in your hands............................DOGS DON"T HAVE SOULS?...DO THEY?........I remember bringing you home...You were so small with your tiny paws and soft fur...You bounced around the room with your eyes flashing and ears flopping...Once in awhile you'd let out a little yelp just to let me know this was your territory...Making a mess of the house and chewing everything in sight became a passion....and when I scolded you...you just put your head down and looked up at me with those innocent eyes as if to say....I’m sorry...but I’ll do it again as soon as you're not watching...As you got older....you protected me by looking out the window and barking at everyone who walked by...When I had a tough day at work...you would be waiting for me with your tail wagging just to say..."Welcome home...I missed you"...You never had a bad day and I could always count on you to be there for me...When I sat down to read the paper and watch TV...you would hop on my lap looking for attention...You never asked for anything more than to have me pat your head so you could go to sleep with your head over my leg...As you got older...you moved around more slowly...Then...one day...old age finally took its toll...and you couldn't stand on those wobbly legs anymore...I knelt down and patted you lying there...trying to make you young again...You just looked up at me as if to say... you were old and tired and after all these years of not asking for anything...you had to ask me for one last favor...With tears in my eyes...I drove you one last time to the vet...One last time...you were lying next to me...For some strange reason...you were able to stand up in the animal hospital...perhaps it was your sense of pride...As the vet led you away....you stopped for an instant...turned your head...and looked at me as if to say..."Thank you for taking care of me"....I thought...."NO , Thank you for taking care of me"...........

Offline Wagz

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.... 

Author unknown...

My heart goes out to you as I know what a tough time this is.

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
great post wagz!

randy aka bh
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Big_D

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
All these posts bring back so many memories, most of them good....had to put my chessie down 7 years ago, and there still isn't a day that goes by without me thinking of him.  Now as my golden gets older, with his arthritis and thyroid problems, I know that the day with him is coming too, then I look at my pup, an 8 month old Portuguese water dog with all the energy and spirit that the old man used to have, I think to the day I put my chessie down, knowing it was the kindest, most loving thing I could have done for him.  As much as I wanted him with me, I wanted him pain free even more.

I dread the day when I have to put my next best buddy down, I will shed tears just like my last best buddy!

Nothing in this world can replace a man's dog.  Nothing!
"If it ain't freezin', it ain't fishin'"

Offline UncleDave

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for all of the kind words and advice.  Thanks Wagz for the great posts.  Harold (Jim), thanks for volunteering to go with me.  I appreciate it.  My brother already agreed to go with me.  I am going t take the next 2 days off and spend as much time with her as I can before the time comes.  The part that sucks is the vet closes at noon Saturday, so I won't have any time to spend with her on her last day.   

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey Uncledave... When I made the decision with my first english setter, Duke, I did the same, changeing my mind as he would get better, then he'd relapse....  Finally made the decision and made myself stick with it. He was in bad shape and even started breathing hard at the end... when I brought him to the vet that day, I swear he knew what was going on...he went from hardly being able to sit up, let alone walk, and now was sitting up in the passenger seat like he always used to, bright eyed and if I didnt know better, almost young again... I of course started questioning myself again and couldnt almost drive from tearing up so bad.  Went into the vets office to take care of the formalities, came back out to bring Duke in and he was sittin at attention like a soldier, and i was like, why are ya makin this so hard on me, buddy?  Well he freakin pranced in the bldg., even growled at a little lap dog that got loose and ran up to him.  Got him in his room, he made it only half way across the floor and collapsed...thought he died right then, but the doc said he wasn't but close...gave him the shot, I kissed him on the head, thanked him for all the good times we shared and said goodbye... toughest thing I ever had to do, but its what We owe them after giving us their all for their whole lives.... be strong, ye gots my prayers. -thunderpout

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
i hate doing that especially when you have kids and they dont understand why ... its hard

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
I have had to do this a few times over the years. Never gets easier. Others have explained it better then I can about what happens and even grown men in there fifty's cry when your buddy closes his eyes for the last time. I know I did. But what I can tell you to do is enjoy the time with your dog. Don't take them for granted and take lots of pictures. The older I get the more I wished that I had kept a camera with me more then I did. A camera is not just for that big fish or family pictures but as you get older the pictures will help you remember.  I make an effort to travel with a camera.  And now with the digital ones they are so easy to keep at hand. Have spent a lot of my life on the water and in the woods and I wish I had a camera to capture everything that I have seen. Pictures of my dogs grace my walls and no time is ever wasted sitting back in the chair and letting memories return from looking at them. My two boys are now going on eight and I am always looking for chance to take there pictures. On is a real ham and the other just refused to get his picture taken. Something else I will remember him by. No one will understand all the pictures but you and him..
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline CampYJewel

• Master Outdoorsman
I hope everything went OK today.  It is soooo hard when you loose someone so close to you.  When we were kids we had a springer spaniel Oreo and in her last years she was totally blind and deaf.  My mom kept making excuses as that my sister was coming home for Christmase, then for Easter when we all knew it was time.  Somehow I had to be the one to take her.  Just like Thunderpout said, when I got her in the car she just perked up and was looking all over like she could see agian.  When I got her to the vet they gave her a shot to put her to sleep, not down.  I then took her outside and walked around with her.  She pretty much fell asleep in my arms, I am starting cry just typng this!!  Then the vet came out and gave her the shot right in her heart.  I just walked away and got in the car.  They then put her in the back and I balled my eyes out the entire 30mn drive back to my parents.  Once there thankfully my dad was back and took over.  I have had the personal pain of running over my own dog but nothing compares to a dog you have had for many many years and making that decision in sound mind to send them to a better place.

Thinking about ya!!!!!

Offline UncleDave

• Master Outdoorsman
I think I'm cried out for the day (hopefully).  The hardest is coming home to an empty home.  It all seems so surreal now.  I am just sad and tired now.  Kind of in mourning/shock still.  Hard to believe Kirby is gone.     
« Last Edit: January 01/12/08, 05:02:26 PM by UncleDave »

Offline Wagz

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Dave for what it is worth you made the right choice and that is never the easy one. It will get better/easier. Be Strong !

I still see my dog (black lab) out of the corner of my eye ever once in a while in his favorite spots. A black bump on the couch where he used to lay all the time ! That is just  the good memories coming  back !

Offline Duckslayer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
For a long time after my Lil Black Dog was gone I would be sitting here in the basement office and I swear I could hear her walking around upstairs.  Still miss that Lil girl, especially everytime I don some camo.  It had been 7 months now and I still miss her a lot bit I guess it is a bit easier.  Watching her on the home videos will bring a lump to my throuat at a minimum.  All the good memores that I have will never go away.  Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Offline UncleDave

• Master Outdoorsman
I swore Saturday that I would never get another dog and go through that torment...well Sunday I made a trip to the Golden Valley Humane Society and got me a new girl.  What great therapy.  She's not a replacement for my beloved Kirby, but a tribute to her.  No dog will ever replace her love.  This dog is as a result of how great Kirby was and because she was such a great joy, not in place of her.  She is a 13 month old hound/terrier mix (hound face, terrier fur).  She's about 50 lbs and 4 times the size of my Kirby. 
« Last Edit: January 01/21/08, 08:03:13 PM by UncleDave »

Offline GirlGuide

• Master Outdoorsman
  • (aka ~gg)
Just a little somethin' to think about here...

A Dog's Purpose (from a 6-year-old)

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on.

Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.
He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?" The six-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:
When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.
Take naps.
Stretch before rising.
Run, romp, and play daily.
Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.
When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
Be loyal.
Never pretend to be something you're not.
If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.

ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF EVERY DAY!

----------------------------------------------------------------