Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Lake Iwanttobethere  (Read 318897 times)

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Well halfway through the Winter Carnival and the support crew is gather in the Lodge for a round of Hamms and some much needed down time. No sooner did Hank and Frank get  Main street cleared of snow from the snow thrower races and start putting down water to make ice for the seed races then it started to snow. I mean that winter wonderland kind of snow. Great for down at the access. Bon fires were lit and people stood around and chatted. The beer tent was doing good business and the mini-donuts and soft pretzels, well they could not make them fast enough. If you stood still long enough snow would start to pile up on your shoulders and the brim of your cap. Little kids started to make snow angels and a few adults joined in. We had to close down the luge run because the snow was so heavy we could no longer track riders as they went down.

The ice town had to turn on there lights early so people could make there out and back and not get lost. A few did get turned around and we sent the sleigh out to Root Beer island to bring them back in. We did get some ice made before the snow so we will have to wait and see what happens come morning. The evening seed races were postpone. The dog draft contest was held and that was a no brainer as Grace won that going away. All Dan had to do was toss an ice cube in front of her and away she went.

So we are all sitting around the fire in the Lodge warming our feet with the heat from the fire. When a slender guy comes walking in dressed in a black cape that was pulled up and around his head. He came in through the back door and down past the washrooms. He came up to the bar and asked for me by name. Walking over in my wool socks and Hamms in hand I asked what I could do for him. He pulled back his cape to show me his face. Slender he was but I quickly noticed that he had blue hair. Being polite I looked away. " So you run this place" he said. " Yes, I am the manager, what can I do for you." "Do you know me?" He asked. " No, I can't say that I do" I replied. " You are being watched" He whispered. I turn to look behind me and all I saw was the crew at the fire and a couple of guys playing cribbage. I turned back just in time to see the end of his cape disappear down the hall and heard a moment later the back door open and close. Well that was different I said out loud to no one. I reached over the bar top and grabbed a bottle of Wild Turkey and returned to the fire. Adding a splash to everyone's glasses I told them of the man and his blue hair. Elmer after sipping his Turkey said " I think that was Bertha's husband from that hair place." Skinny nodded in agreement. We all sat and looked into the fire. Hank said
 " Watching us eh?" I nodded.. "I have felt like something  or someone was watching me when I took a whiz off the front deck" Elmer said. We all groaned and went back to our drinks and watching the embers in the fire. With cigar in hand I went out later to stand on the deck and look out over the lake, the snow was still falling but nothing like before. As I came around to the front of the wrap around deck by the front doors I got a little chill down my back. Just like that time when I was in the deer stand and the owl landed on the branch behind me. I could feel him there but could not turn around to face him. Hmmmmm I return to the Lodge leaving the thought behind me. Tomorrow is another day From Lake Iwanttobethere (303)
« Last Edit: January 01/12/08, 11:56:06 PM by Bobby Bass »
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Making ice today, only 15 out and the sun is shinning. Roofs of shanties down in the ice down reflecting the sunshine back skyward. North end of the lake receive almost two feet of snow over the weekend. This end got just enough to let the snow thrower races go on and then enough to make a mess out of the track for Sunday's seed races. They did go on but the beer can jumping contest had to wait till dark and a lot of people had already left town to return home. Hank the local favorite won again so we will keep the winning cobs here at the Lodge fireplace over the mantle for another season. Ice sculptures are looking good down in the park. They are not missing any arms this years since we now know that DT's dog Grace was the culprit last year. Grace was kept on a leash this year so she could not break the arms off and drag them away.

The snowfall was welcomed as it sure did make the town look clean again for the carnival. Cleanup is still going on down in the park as Hank and Skinny are taking the beer tent down and the fire grates all need to be cleaned out. Vicki at the Masterbaiters shop busy restocking shelf's and is already starting to change things around some looking forward to Spring. Fishing contest was as always a big part of the ice carnival days and crappies were the winners for all three days. Some walleyes were taken but everyone was looking to top the Nytelyters big walleye. When the weather cleared the luge was active and we are already talking about how we can improve the run next year.

Reed the Realtor has been in the town hall most of the morning going over old records. He is trying to find the owner of the Old Grain Mill which someone is ready to make an offer on. As far as we can tell it has gone back to the town for taxes so the town may have a windfall of new cash if a deal can be stuck. The town fathers were sitting at a Lodge table last night and ideas were already being tossed around. The ice was removed from the steps on the main Lodge doors so we don't have to use the side door anymore. A few member have reported there wife's have been asking questions about there comings and going the past few days. Another topic for discussion at the Lodge tables. Of course this time of the year there is a lot of talk done around town and not much doing. With just the weekly fishing contests going on we are kind of quiet around here for the next month or so. Winter clay trap league will be starting up soon and we do have movie night. Cribbage night and we are going to ask Nytelyter to be the head of our poker night. Lodge membership drive is under way and locals are bring in and introducing guys around. Some talk of maybe letting ladies in but not to much interest in that.

Time of the year to start looking through catalogs arriving in the mail. Seed and fishing catalogs are showing up and Mark complains that the mail is the heaviest this time of the year. Not in numbers but in real weight. Guns need to be cleaned and oiled for storage, Rods and reels given there mid winter cleaning. Tackle boxes inventoried. Good time for me to find a replacement rod for the one that Mr. Big shattered last year. With today's wind most of the snow that fell is already blown off the roofs. I can put a check next to the honey do list for that as being completed. Another picture frame appeared and that has to be put up in the living room. Thought I had done them all but the wife keeps finding something else that just has to be up on the wall.  Tmie to start thinking about doing some work on the Puddle Humper to. I should start looking for some new seats or maybe stuffing some more padding in the ones I have. Either the seats or me have lost some of there cush over the last few years. Well nothing getting done and I am sure the wife will be checking in to see if I have started the list. Till later from the Lake Iwanttobethere. (347)
Bobby Bass

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
  • NorthernGal --Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Burtha called a shoppe meeting this morning. I have never been to one before, so this was all new to me.. All 6 of us ladies were there. Burtha in her loud flowered top and pants, and the same old blue make up and all that blush. I shiver, but i won't be the one to tell her that she wears to much makeup.. And the hair as well.. i do think bee hives went out once the 70's were over.
Burtha called me first to speak on why the trail cam wasn't working. I reported what i found. It looks as if maybe a squirrel made a nest right in front of the cam so thats why we didn't get a picture. This morning after i late last night made by way back to the lodge and clear away all the branches. That squirrel wasn't to happy , it was making such a fuss finally i chased him off. Hopefully he wont come back. I even took a pine branch and brushed it over my tracks so no one would see my foot prints in the snow.. what a give away that would be..

Tess was the next one to talk.. She said  that she thought she saw Burtha husband creeping around that back of the lodge the other day.. Tess is one of the few ones to remember what Barney.. not the dog..... looked like. And only by mistake did she find this out. After baking some cookies before the holidays, Tess thought it was nice to bring Burtha some of her baking goods. So she walked over there and knocked on the door, thinking she heard someone say
"come in" she entered, to find Barney .. not the dog..standing there still with blue hair and wearing nothing but his boots and boxers. Well i tell you i heard the scream all the way to Burtha's shoppe.. I couldn't figured out what was going on till i saw Tess running for her life all the way back to her house still screaming holding her eyes.. Thats when i knew something happened at Burtha's House.. Well the next time i saw Tess, she told me what she saw.. It was horrible she said.. i bet it was..

Now Burtha couldnt believe what she heard from Tess about seeing Barney.. not the dog.. at the lodge after all he doesn't go out, would you with blue hair?
Burtha went on and on how it was a mistake and that maybe Tess saw someone with a blue hat.. but Tess held her ground saying it was Barney .. not the dog...
Well this got Burtha so mad, that we all thought it would be better if she all made excuses to leave before she really lost it.. So one by one they all left, and here i was standing there looking around still not knowing whats going on with the lodge and the trail cam...

So i went back to work, opening up the shoppe not asking anymore questions, would do? seeing how mad Burtha was...

Stay safe and warm
put another log on the fire
from me to you from Lake Iwanttobethere
« Last Edit: January 01/14/08, 07:03:53 PM by Northerngal »
the hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Best place for Bait.....Babes Bait... Babe's is locally known as “the best little bait shop in Ely”. Tackle and Fresh Bait

Offline Duckslayer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Ahhhh, what a relaxing weekend at the lake!  It was good to get out and meet and greet folks at the winter carnival.  I wish that I had been able to catch more fish and entered in the contest but alas, being a newbie to the lake I will have to find the honey hole on my own.  What a fun time of the year it is up here in the winter.  It just got to be a lot more fun now that we have our own place, though I do admit I got some strange looks as I was pulling the duck boat up behind me to put in the pole barn.  I might not be the very brightest bulb in the tree but I am certainly smarter than what some of those people seemed to be thinking.  Oh well, always a welcome here at the lake and that is all that matters to me!  I got some schooling and did some schooling at the card table over the weekend!  I tell ya what; Bobby is one of the luckiest folks that I know at cribbage, but of course to hear him tell it is pure skill involved and not luck.  I guess there may be some skill there as everyone I talked to seemed to say the same thing.

I see there has been some one snooping around the old mill.  I have never gotten the time to go exploring down there but I think that it would be fun.  It would be a good place to take young women to, much like cemetery’s were back in the day…  Opps, kind of dating myself there huh!  Nothing like a bottle of cheap wine and a date in a car sitting somewhere.  Boons Farm strawberry hill was always a favorite.

In between the carnival, ice fishing, and hanging at the lodge I did get the number of rooms at the cabin that need paint reduced by one this weekend!  Started out with the smallest bedroom, I figured that way if I ran into any issues they would be small ones.  I guess the only issue there was would be that I should be able to get more than one room done in a weekend.  I don’t think that the Lil Mrs understands all the planning and preparation that goes into painting a room.  All she had to do was pick the colour, I had to do ALL the rest of the work.  Takes a while to get all that trim taped off so that when you are done painting no one can tell that you painted.  Now that made a lot of sense didn’t it?!

Well I suppose that I had better get back to the grind stone.  My boss does not seem as happy that I bought a cabin as I am.  Something about I still have to get my job done during the week.  Man, if I did not have to eat and pay for my cabin I could quit my dang job.  I will keep trying to win the lottery, that would solve a lot of issues!  Some day my ship will come in, but with my luck I will be at the airport.  Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo
« Last Edit: January 01/14/08, 12:15:35 PM by Duckslayer »

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Ice fishing on Lake Iwanttobethere, just kind of rolls of your lips and says it all. This time of year the mere mention of ice fishing can turn heads at the water cooler. Make a yelling boss stop in mid sentence and ask "How was the fishing" Well maybe not the water cooler as it seems everyone now carry's their water in their own little plastic bottle. Now if you want to talk you have to find an out of the way cubical that is off the beaten path. Or down by the loading dock out of the wind where the guys gather to check over orders and talk about the last time they were on the lake. Fishing.. Yup there's that word, Fishing.. Has a different meaning in winter then it does in the summer. Smelting is not to be confused with Fishing just like shopping and buying are two completely different things. Most men go buying, where as most women go shopping. But fishing, that is not confused with anything. You just have to say what kind of fishing. Ice fishing, Trout fishing, Bass fishing, Pig fishing. Trolling... Something different again. Fishermen troll, young guys in bars also troll sometimes with the same results. A tap, a pickup a good line the set and reeling them in. A fishermen talks of a release a troller talks of being yanked overboard and almost drowning. Losing everything  and waking up some place they have never been before. Fishermen and trollers can both nod, been there, done that.

So back to ice fishing, I spend my evenings ice fishing. Why? I have no real answer. I am a bass fishermen at heart. I like to be on the move, Sitting and watching a bobber is just against my nature. But here I am in the shanty watching a bobber, or two. Of course ice fishing allows you to multitask. Something that ice fishermen invented long before computer geeks took over the word. In my shack on any given evening I can tend to my little wood fire, listen to the radio, watch two bobbers in two separate holes using my mirrors that are placed against the walls, also watch my partners two bobbers in his two holes. Make supper, drink a cold beer, keep track of traffic on the lake, monitor the CB and play cribbage. Did I mention avoiding the wife and not answering the cell phone?  Might as well add solving the worlds problems but I forget to write those answers down. From time to time I catch a fish, admire it and put it head first back down the hole to get caught in the summer many times bigger.

When fishing alone I make up stories for telling at the Lodge with little or no proof to backup my claims. But all stories are the truth when spoken inside the walls of the Lodge. The days are slowly growing longer and we have a little more light to spend taking our time to get to the shack. Sometimes we are early and put a five gallon pail out on the ice and sit with the door open so we can watch our holes and speak with a passer by on the way to there houses. Polite waves are exchanged and maybe little white lies. At sundown the doors close and the ice is quiet. Not until it gets dark and then when someone opens a door a  sliver of light from the house escapes to light the night. Ice fishing, nothing better  right now... From Lake Iwanttobethere (368)
Bobby Bass

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I live on a small farm in a clearing in the woods up the road a piece from Lake Iwanttobethere. Back in the old days, the farm supplied the loggers with meat, milk and produce. It also supplied them with some of the 'shine that Bobby has referred to. Dad was a bootlegger and reputedly buried his money in cream cans on the farm. Along with my border collies (both active Lodge members) I've dug up most of it and still can't seem to locate them. Nowadays, the farm still supplies the area with fresh homegrown produce which I deliver to the lake community in my aqua-colored, 4x4 stakebed '58 A-120 International pickup. It's a little like a more modern day version of Mr. Haney's truck. She's a gem and really moves. Got it up to 55 mph once when I was going down a hill with a full load and a strong tailwind. Dad's been gone over 20 years now and I keep an eye on Mom. She and the Mrs. tend to things while I'm away at the market, hawking my wares.

I'm not one who likes to spend an inordinate amount of time in public though. Too busy getting vegetables ready for the local Farmer's Market. The snow peas are looking mighty fine and the frozen string beans are impressive this winter. Oddly enough, they don't seem to grow much. The tomatoes are the finest I've ever raised but I've warned those who plan on throwing them at political gatherings to let 'em thaw first so as not to injure anyone.

I fish and hunt to fill in around the edges and add a little variety to our normal cuisine. Fresh red squirrel stew tastes just like the gin that comes out of our still. Mmmm Mmmm good! Rare just a few years ago but becoming more common with this reputed global warming thing, possum jerky and sausage has become more common table fare. Pickled hammer handle northerns are a treat this time of year and the rubbery Y bones can be made into neat table decorations just like on Martha Stewart. Ma's homemade turkey gizzards are the talk of the town and the pickled eggs we can spare grace the shelves of the bars, gas stations, and other fine local eating establishments.

I noticed the other day on one of my trips to town someone dressed like a floral print couch (about the same size) with a B-52's hair-do. Think someone said her name was Burtha. Best stay on her good side methinks. Aside from looking like she's got ugly she hasn't even used, bet she can pack away a lot of vittles. Bet she can also drink a fair amount of that homemade gin we strain through my socks and age in one of my overshoes behind the barn, too. Gotta keep an eye out for them revenuers. One can never be too careful.
« Last Edit: January 01/14/08, 09:04:12 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Sunshine Ray says it is going to be cold for the rest of the week, Really cold. Well we have been waiting for most of the winter to go into the deep freeze so I guess now is as good a time as any. Of course cold is a relative thing. Here it being the middle of January a 20 degree day is not bad at all. 30 is balmy and 40 well that there is tee shirt and shorts weather. I think I might have to light the propane heater in the shack. Don't know if my little wood stove burning scraps will be enough to keep the drafts out. Will have to go out in the wood shop and clear out the rafters of some hardwood that has just been sitting there. I spend a fair amount of time in the wood shop during the winter. Mostly making stuff for Christmas presents and fixing things. Chairs mostly, they don't make them like they used to, held together with screws and stained with a sprayer. Furniture made out of particle board. That stuff don't even burn good let alone make a lasting piece of furniture.

I started off making birdhouses then it was feeders. After I got so busy making them for others and selling them it got almost like a business with dates to meet. As soon as that starts I switch and make something else. Not suppose to be a job suppose to be something for relaxing and killing time while the water is hard. Last winter it was pizza boards. Could not find a decent pizza board / cutting board so I made a few for gifts. Maple and Oak with a Walnut handle. The first one hangs in my kitchen the rest were given away as presents. Then people saw them and wanted me to make some for sale. Well we did that and then we were back in the rut again and I said no more. I still have some left over scraps in the rafters and they will go into the burn box and be taken out to the shack. That Walnut is a spendy fire but sure burns nice. Better then that Go- fer- wood. Like poplar.( as soon as you put it in the fire you go for more)

Sat down at the Lodge last night and played a few hands of cribbage with Dotch. We were hankering over the price of greens for the Lodge's kitchen for next season. Dotch is our local produce guy and we have to bargain with him from time to time. We are still working on a deal but he let me win a few hands of cribbage. I think he is letting me win. I still ended up paying for the Wild Turkey.  Dotch is also a writer, far better then me and my jottings about the lake. Kind of like gossip for men just missing all the extra's. When guys gossip we just get right to the story and remarks are kept to a simple grunt or two and perhaps a question to narrow down the type of car or truck involved in the story. Like Burtha, rumor has it she is a cousin to Big Earl which would explain her buying stuff by the case and leaving by the back door. Of course in a little town like this everyone is related to someone.

Well I hope you find reading about our town interesting, lots going on under our sleepy ice fishing appearance. As we say there is a story in every ice house. From Lake Iwanttobethere (415)
Bobby Bass

Offline McGurk

• Outdoorsman
I don't know how I could have missed this Burtha character.  From the sounds of her she's at least as big as the place she operates.  Could be that I just dismiss her as one of those robotic gorillas that you see waving you in to buy a used car or vacuum cleaner.  I don't tend to give them much eye time, especially since there's much better scenery about.  More about that later.

Apparently my carb settings worked out well for me on the snowthrower race.  If you weren't there you missed a pretty good time.  My yellow screamer was whipping that white stuff further than I could have ever imagined.  I took it down to the ice to do a little tending to the lakefront property in front of the ice house, and decided to help "bank" the Johnson Bros van.  Afterwards there was a little glass showing, about 2-3 inches around the whole thing.  I don't think they minded; they were waving and jumping around while I did it, mouthing something the whole time.  I just figured they were cold and would appreciate the extra insulation.  I couldn't hear what they were saying since I put that straight pipe on the snowblower; who needs a muffler anyways?  After I was done, it was hard to tell which end was the front and which side was the back.  It's hard to tell on those VW vans as it is unless they're moving.

I thought as long as I had it warmed up, I'd do a little banking on some of the other fishhouses out there, being we had planty of good snow and all.  I hit up D.T.'s house and made a path for Gracie to do her "business" away from the house.  On to Duckslayer's; I really packed him in due to his whipping me at cribbage lately.  He had it comin'.  Nytelyter's house was pretty well banked, as he is living out there and has time to tend it all week long.  I left it be, but gave him a good spot to park his transportation. 

On to Bobby's.  If you haven't seen his house, it is hard to describe.  You remember the Luner landing module?  Keep that close to the front of your brain while I explain.  There's more sheet metal than a pole barn, more trusses and flying buttresses than a gothic-era church in Germany, and more solar panels than a solar farm in Arizona.  I tried to bank his house up, but the sun has got the exterior so warm that the snow would melt as soon as it was within 2 feet of it.  I may have to think this through a little more...
« Last Edit: January 01/15/08, 01:58:41 PM by McGurk »
Good Luck! McGurk

"I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!"

Offline D.T.

• Outdoorsman
Thanks McGurk. From the looks of it some other shacks could use a trail to do their business.

Dotch! Ya that's right. Glad you could bring your writings from the fencelines to the lodge! Glad to see ya!

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
Big Burtha stands outside her Beauty Shoppe, feet apart do to her large sized thighs, arms crossed over her super dopers looking up and down the road. She once again stands out, wearing an all pink pantsuit with big white flower print and to top that off a huge white flower in her bee hive. Her lips are as pink as her eyeshadow making her look like a huge bubble of bubblegum.  People notice that her jaws are moving most of the time, they are not sure if shes chewing tobacco and many think shes chewing her cud.. To this day no one has seen her spit and have no clue as to what is in her mouth.

Big Burtha has been keeping an eye out for this new stranger in town. This is something she has always done, to find out as much as she can about who they are, where they come from and why did they move to the lake. Just as she was figuring things out in her head, her head turns as she sees the stranger walk towards her. She uncrosses her arms and waits for him . Her large around dark eyes never leaving him as he trys to hide by his collar, Burtha almost hisses as he walks by but doesn't say anything.. at lease just not yet.

Burtha talks to herself as she walks down to her house, her stomach is growling loudly. The pink and white ball coming the road is a sight to see and that huge white flower almost fits the bill like a white cherry on top of a pink Sunday.
After shes rests a few times Burtha walks in to her house, but she notices that Barney.. not the dog...isn't there. Now this makes Burtha wonder where he is... So she calls her cousin Big Earl to see if he has seen him.. As she dialing she notices a piece of paper on the table and picks it up to read it.
Note reads: Things to do... Add more branches to the fake squirrel nest.
Burtha finds this odd and hangs up the phone , right up on Big Earl, and heads out to find
Ng to see if she knows anything about this. Once again making her way back to her shoppe.

Best place for Bait.....Babes Bait... Babe's is locally known as “the best little bait shop in Ely”. Tackle and Fresh Bait

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
McGurk you can't be bad mouthing my Shanty!! I suppose since I have the shanty complete I should tell people about it. If you have been out on the lake and have seen it then you would rememnber it. It comes in several sections and when they are all screwed together it is quite the shanty. The best way to describe it is it in the shape of  a cross. The top of the cross was the section flung in this years ice fling. It is the command center of the shack. Here is where you find the barbershop fighting chair bolted securely to the ice and facing the 20" main hole. On the long leg of the cross you will find the two lane bowling alley. The lower arm of the cross contains the kitchen with the BBQ that is attached to the outside of the shack but can be cranked inside to check the meat and then returned outside for cooking. On the other side the upper arm is the cold room where the Hamms beer and train trolley is located. The entire house is served by the trolley which allows cold Hamms beer to be delivered anywhere in the house. Half of the fun is delivering beer. Also the wine racks which have been converted to Wild Turkey bottle holders are here.

The center of the shack has several hammocks that are lowered as needed. This is also the power center for the shack as we are heavy into solar power. The clear dome that rises over the center gives us light from any direction. Along the roof over the bowling alley an array of solar panels provide energy for the shack and one wall alongside lane 2 holds batteries. Should be noted that the Hamms is kept at proper drinking temperature by running the beer outside through a hose to chill before returning to the tap. A ten million candlelight spot graces the roof and acts as a beacon when the rescue team needs to be sent out on fishermen recover missions. On the North side a shooting deck is located, I have a waiver for shooting clay pigeons here on Sunday afternoons.

The shack takes most of the first half of ice fishing to put in place and by  mid Feb. I will have to start taking it all back in to shore again, piece by piece. If the sun is not shining it can burn a little bit of wood in the potbelly stove located in the center section. So lets hear about your shack? From Lake Iwanttobethere (443)
Bobby Bass

Offline McGurk

• Outdoorsman
Hey Bobby, I haven't heard you talk about the basement at the fishhouse yet...
Good Luck! McGurk

"I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!"

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Come on McGurk no one is suppose to know that since I can't afford one of them underwater cameras that I had my cousin at sea world set me up with a shark cage. I got some of that left over greenhouse plastic and wrapped the cage in it then sink it under my center section of the ice house. You can then climb down the ladder and sit on a stool and watch who ever is fishing the main hole in the front of the shack. Using our old radio shack two ways we can then tell when to set the hook or not. It does get a mite chilly down there but that is why we pump the Wild Turkey in the wet suit that you wear. Someday I to will have one of them cameras. I know Elmer is getting sick of being held upside down by his ankles with his head underwater when we fish soft water. Lake Iwantobethere
Bobby Bass

Offline D.T.

• Outdoorsman
Good read Hunter.

I got a short story from the lake. Monday I took a friend with out to the remote area of Lakeiwanttobethere. If you haven't heard of it before it's because that it's so remote. Out near where the railroad tracks used to be. The boggy marsh. This time of year when it's really cold a guy can get lucky and walk across the crust on the bog. But you can't stop and stand still or you'll break through into the depths of that marsh. Tales of people who never came back haunted us but we made it.

The old overgrown goat trail that leads down the hillside switches back and forth just to get down. Well, my ice fishing tow barge is mounted on downhill skies. I figured I could just get on the back of the barge and stand on the skies and just try to ride it down. Bad mistake. The path was so icey that stopping or even sterering was out of the question. So the first switchback down the goat trail ended up with a mess. Minnow spilled. auger bent, heater broke, and I ended up with new aches and pains. Grace wasn't along this time. It coulda been worse.
From a bumped and bruised Lakeiwanttobethere, have a great day!

Offline McGurk

• Outdoorsman
Recently, I made my way out to the shack, and kept my eyes down like I always do looking for signs of others checking out my house placement. Sure enough, there were tracks, but none like I've ever seen before.  They were from a size 22 boot if they were anything, but they had a weird shape.  The front looked right, but the back was more like a single hole about the size of a quarter.  A high-heeled pac-boot???  I looked up as they led right to my shack's door, only to see that the handle had some glaze on it; cloudy like hand lotion or something.  While digging the key out, I saw that the jamb was cracked.  I think someone had really wrenched on that doorknob trying to get in.  I looked to see where the tracks came from, and noticed that they led to one of my windows, too.  There was some smudging there, too, and it looked like a greasy face print on the top of the pane, but with red smudging around the eyes, cheeks, and mouth.  What it going on out here?  Sasquatch's mate looking for warmth?  The tracks came from D.T.'s house, and then led straight to shore as the crow flies, cutting it's own path through the drifts.  Who knows...

Anyone want in on pullin a little prank on Nytelyter?  I was able to drill couple of holes outside of his house while he was in at the lodge getting "supplies."  I covered them with styrofoam and some snow so they'll stay open for some time.  There's also a couple long lengths of stout wire that I've bent in such a way that we could get both of his rattle reels popping at the same time, if I had a partner in crime.  Anyone that's been on the top of the leader board that long has got a pretty big target on his back.

What's with this amputee walking around saluting people on the street?  The poor guy has marks all over his forehead from the point on that hook.  Elmer was telling me that he can open a 6 bottles of beer in one swipe, though, and that's something I'd like to see.
Good Luck! McGurk

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Went to Dug's garage this morning looking to get a little welding done when I ran into Tim. Tim is the county deputy sheriff who has been transferred to our end of the county. Tim used to be the sheriff but retired after it got to political and he could no longer do his job any more. A big husky guy he played football in his college days at the main u and still looks like the linebacker he was. Still has that look in his eyes when trouble happens. I came around the garage and heard the roaring sounds of Dug working on the carbs of Tim's cruiser. An old Dodge challenger painted a bright yellow complete with roll cage and hood scoop. The hemi roared as Dug adjusted the linkage, the two of them, Tim and Dug both had smiles on their faces. Tim turned the engine off and they stood looking at the car and listening to the tick tick of the cooling engine. After Tim retired the new sheriff, who was a good hunting friend of Tim's  talked him in to returning as a deputy. In exchange Tim got his old sheriff's car back and a pretty open work schedule. Tim picked Lake Iwanttobethere because he does have a fishing habit.

After shaking hands and some small talk of the yellow beast and a quick fishing report he asked if I had heard anything of a big woman in a colorful moo moo that had been scarring the hell out of  fishermen. I said someone had come in the Lodge last night but I think that his cousin Earl might know more. Tim said he was going to visit him and Reed as he was looking to rent a cabin on this end of the lake. He was going to be spending some time in the area and he would be away from his cabin on the north end. Besides the county was going to foot the bill. With a promise that he would stop by the Lodge he headed off towards the General Store. I left Dug with instructions on some brackets I needed for a new solar panel for the shack and headed over to Reed's office. I found him buried in papers at his desk. I mentioned Tim was coming to see him and he said he had already talked to him on the phone, They were going to do lunch at the Lodge later, Tim was buying. Reed told me he had a firm offer on the Grain mill and was still looking for tittle and a deed. I said I would check in with Shannon at the town hall and see what we can do there. With a wave I was out the door and on my way back to Dug's to pick up my truck.

Driving pass the hair place I see a lot of activity as there are some ladies out on the sidewalk waving there hands in the air and pointing in different directions. Brought a smile to my face as they all had towels and curlers on there heads and a lady was there with plastic gloves up to her shoulders. Kind of reminded me of them gloves the dairy farmers use on their cows. Driving by I tried to see what they were pointing at but missed what ever it was. I waved at Big Earl as he and Tim were standing outside of the General store talking on the sidewalk. Time for lunch, from Lake Iwanttobethere (507)
Bobby Bass

Offline nytelyter

• Outdoorsman
well it was very sweet the nice parking spot that appeared in front of my shack. i did leave the windows open a bit while i was in town, freshing up a bit as it was starting to get a bit gamey in the shack.  i put the jimmy in park and stepped out of the door.  and found my self plunging into the icy depths of very cold water. ending up thigh deep with my left leg. i must tell ya, when you get a leg as large as mine. wedged that far into a hole. it was quite a chore to get myself back to my feet ontop of the ice. and i dont want to even try to repeat some of the cursing from my lips.  :taz: as i howled at the culpret that was fishing that close to my house inorder to beat me off the top of the leader board. i have been eating walleye and onion sandwiches for the better part of a week now for dinner and have summer sausage and onion sammies for lunch, hence the gamey smell in the shack.  welll now refreshed again from my sudden plunge. i move around the jimmy to reteieve my newly bought bait and supplies from vicky's  and as my left trouser leg is rapidly turning hard from the onset of this great cold snap we are haveing currently. i am once again finding myself plungeing thight deep into another hole. but with my left pant leg frozen solid. i am sitting like a gi joe doll with one leg down and one straight in front of me. fortunatly for me, grace heard me yelling and when she came to investigate. she helped me pull myself out of the second hole i had found. well i grabbed the minnow bucket and now my right leg is freezing solid and i am walking like frankenstien trying to get to the warmth of the intierior of my residence.

welll once inside and with the heat starting to thaw my pants off i could not help but notice that one of my windows was opened almost all the way up. not the way i had left it and upon looking out of that window i see foot prints leading up to and away from said window.  as i gazed around my shack i was sure that every thing that was there when i left, was still there.  hmmm i thought to myself. why would someone climb into my shack and not take anything. welll i got my minnows stored into the minnow locker and stored the bag of onions and bread away and set to tideying up the place a bit. i look at the clock on the wall and see it is time to get my two lines in and start fishing. i hook a nice redtail creek chub onto my secretly colored gamagatsu hook and proceed to drop it into the hole and all four of my rattle reels start to unwind spilling line all over the floor and to the four winds of the shack. now this exxplains why nothing was missing. some one has gone thru some extremes to "punk" me and now i am starting to look for cameras. didnt see any but i could not help but feel i was being filmed. :rotflmao:

well now i am on a mission. welll  not really a mission but more a destiny. i will in my own special way find out "whoorwhomdunnit" and in my own special (pyro) way have quite a surprize for them, on their next excursion to their shack.  as i have a few extra powerful  silver salutes for them awaiting the next pull on their lines. 

that being said, beware to you, if it was you. and if it wasnt you, dont worry about it. i did set into a nice school of crappies after  finally ending up cutting all of the tangled lines off and retieing all of them back up. i really had been planning on putting on new line and was very happy i had picked it up at vicky's, while i was there. and was even more happy when i felt a tug that was not a regular sized lakeiwanttobethere crappie. no this was not the usual 14-16 inch crappie. after a short battle, and as i got it out of the hole and put it on the tape. it measured out at 19 3/4 inches and scaled out at 4.25 lbs on my digi scale. i hit the self timer on my camera and snapped of a few shots. and released it back to the hole. i can assure you that i have sighted this spot in six ways to sunday and know that this is where i will spend every ice season at.  so for now i can say that i will not be launched next year at the fishhouse fling. but will wait and drag back to here again.

welll time for a sandwich before i grab the portable and head out for a few sunnies so i can have some fish and chips tonight for dinner. my pants are dry now so i will take them down. put them on and hit the ice. i have been asked to be the game director for the newly formed poker night at the lodge. and will school the boys, on some thoughts and tips on some hold'em poker. they seem to think this is a new game so i am sure to have a bit of extra minnow money the next couple of weeks. plenty of tables open and it will be a tournement type game. no rebuys and the prizes will be such as gift certificates from the local business's. and a bar tab for the week. within limits. i encourage all the lodge members to join in and will see you there. i will even see about the lodge buying a round during the game. see you there. ... paul
« Last Edit: January 01/17/08, 10:49:05 AM by nytelyter »
Born to fish Forced to work

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
The girls at the Beauty Shoppe slowly starting to come into the shoppe after they lost sight of Burtha making her way from shack to shack, banging on the doors yelling out her husbands name. A few of the girls thought it might be good to make another appointment and come back when Burtha isn't on the war path. Most know it won't be a pretty when Burtha finds Barney.. not the dog...
I of course just pull up my hood over my head and shove my hands into my pockets, its getting cold here but this to me seems like a soap opera and i got to watch the out come..
I turn hearing yelling and a few choice words i cant say, maybe someone broke through the ice? i thought.. Then nothing so i went back looking for Burtha.
A few minutes later i see her huffing and puffing, covered in snow, then she was gone once again.. Where did she go? I walk over to the hill as my eyes caught this pink blob moving fast down the hill, all that came to my mind was.. look at her go....tumbling end for end, losing that huge white flower along the way. She slides right out to the ice as her huge body swirls in circles she finally comes to a stop.. Then i hear a sound i have never heard before. It was like thunder but in a females voice.. I  swear it shook the ground, i turned in a pantic and run for the shoppe, out of breath as i pushed the doors open and ran inside, everyone turned to look at me, seeing my face they knew something was wrong, i tried to tell them but i was trying to breathe, then i finally got out the words..
Burtha is coming and man is she mad, i would run for your lives...

The shoppe cleaned out fast, women running down the road, forgetting their jackets, hair still in curlers and towels, one with half blond hair and half brown, i just blink standing there almost froose to the floor.
Then i got my thoughts together and ran for the keys, flipping through them to find the right one, i turned off the lights and locked the door behind me and took off to the lodge... I knew she already been there so she wont go back, i think i am safe there.
I run to the door and stop, straightening out my jacket, and calming myself down, i walk in slowly and take a seat at the bar.. Trying to look as if nothing has happened..
A coke please, i say to the bar keep..
Taking in a deep breath, i finally relax and drink my pop.

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Weather, it seems that no matter where you live or hang your hat for awhile a good bet in starting a conversation is to refer to the weather. If you are writing and got nothing, just write about the weather. But having said that it is hard not to live on Lake Iwanttobethere and not talk about the weather. This morning I had to drive into the big city to the bookstore there and pick up some high priced text books for my daughter in college. I don't come into the city much, everything I need I can get back in town. So when I do come to the city I see things that I guess the city folk take for granted. First it's dirty, no white snow here. Just hard snow banks with sand and gravel flung across the top. Garbage cans and recycle bins scatter along the curbs. Can't complain about the Christmas lights as we have folks back at the lake that turn them on for the 4th  I drove by the high school and I know it is not more then zero out but there are kids in shirt sleeves smoking cigarettes behind a fence hiding them from the high school windows. Funny thing is there is a janitor smoking with them. A little farther down a young gal dressed up in some costume like the statue of liberty is hawking outside of a tax prep business. I don't know if she was waving at me or just shivering in the cold.

Back at town as I come around the road I can see the town before me. A slight breeze does nothing to move the low cloud of smoke hanging over the ice town. Like an old dog on a lease it just sits there and does nothing. I had a few stops in town to make so I took out my folded list that the wife left me this morning and stared to check off things. Outside of Ma and Pa's I ran into Scott, we chatted for awhile and petted Jack between the ears. Molly and Shannon were inside. Going through the door the bells jingled and Ma looked up from her counter and her people magazine and greeted me with a smile. Making my way back to Pop's meat counter I passed Shannon with her rib eye steaks heading the other way. " Reed has the paperwork" she told me. " Good I said. Some more small talk and she was over to Ma's to pay. Pa slapped my order of steaks and chops wrapped in the white butcher paper on the top of his counter and we chatted, about the weather mostly for awhile.

Getting back in the Dodge Sheriff Tim drove by and gave me  a wave. I return the wave and was about to yell something at him but thought better of it. Heading to the Lodge I see that Reed is in his office and I park at the meters. Putting a nickel in I go in and chat with Reed. He told me he has the paper work for the Old Mill and we just need Mayor Tom to sign off on it and it is good to go. The new guy in town should be happy with the price. 7,547.23 for back taxes and another 150.94 for this years and the place is his. I left Reed to his work and was back in the Dodge  a little while later I was at the Lodge. I slipped in behind the bar and looked over my pile of pink telephone messages. A the end of the bar some of the locals were talking about doings out on the ice. Seems Nytelyter got  a little wet and a few shacks were reporting to Sheriff Tim about vandals. Tim has been in town most of yesterday shaking hands and visiting business folks. He was in the Lodge last night and bought a round.  Elmer came in with Bud and Barney, the dog. He headed for the wicker couch with a bowl of popcorn and settled in to watch his soap. Bud flopped down in front of the fireplace and Barney the dog headed for my office and couch. To cold out for even Barney the dog  to go fishing today. Well I grabbed an apron and got ready to help out with the lunch crowd, from Lake Iwanttobethere (545)
« Last Edit: January 01/17/08, 12:06:49 PM by Bobby Bass »
Bobby Bass

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
(rumbling along back to the farm) Whew! I thought I was never gonna get out of Bobby's alive. He plays a mean board. I mean, every time I thought I was gonna beat him he pegged out and always seemed to have nobs. Well, every time I didn't anyway. Drives a hard bargain too. Now I owe him some rutabagas to pay off my gambling debts. Fortunately, with the log chain in the back, I should be able to back up to 'em with the Binder, hook on and yank 'em right out! Maybe I'll find one of them cream cans Dad buried while I'm at it. (truck coughs then dies and comes to a stop) Rats! Out of gas (looking at long since stuck/defunct fuel gauge) Wait a minute...(looks under the seat to find a couple bottles of homemade gin) Wow! These must be some Dad left in here before he died. Oughta do the trick. (opens gas cap and pours in the magic elixir) glug! glug! glug! glug! glug! Hmmm...probably could use a little schnort for myself before the Binder gets it all...glug! glug! glug! (sputters and pounds chest) Ahhhh! Smooooootttthhh! Tastes just like the last batch I made. Gotta be those LaCrosse 5 buckles. (fires up the truck and it purrs like a kitten) Man, it's never run this good! Should probably check in with McGurk next time we're in town delivering pickled eggs and gizzards to The Lodge. Bet this stuff would help solve his carburetor ills. Maybe even make him as good lookin' as me if he drinks it!  ;) Hafta stop in at the new folks too, the Duckalayser's. Take them some of that fresh picked frozen sweet corn as a house warming present. (starts to itch) Damn snow fleas...

(an aside) Thank you Bobby for inviting me to Lake Iwanttobethere. Don't kid yourself, you write every bit as well as I do although I think your imagination is far superior. I've spent too many years writing about exciting topics such as extended diapause, hypoxia and soybean aphids I'm afraid. Hopefully I'll get the hang of it. Like I've said before, we went to different schools together. Dotch
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Duckslayer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Whatta day.   I was working at the cabin trying to get things done off “The List” before the Lil Mrs gets back.  Seems like when it rains it pours!  The folks that lived here last did not install the right faucets in the kitchen sink, or so says the Lil Mrs.  Well, I thought, that should be simple enough to fix before she gets back from work.  Little did I know that there were no shut off’s for them under the sink so off to town I go to pick some of them up.  Got them and all the adapters and assorted contraptions that I needed to get them put into the line and headed back to the house.  Went to the basement to shut the water off and that is when the problems really started.  The valve was a bit stiff as I suppose it had been a while since it had been turned.  I put a bit too much umph into it apparently and danged if the valve did not come clean apart!  Great, now I have water flowing at a pretty good clip into the basement!  Good thing that it has not been finished out yet.  I hustled back into town to borrow Skinny’s metal detector.  Once I got that I went back out and started a search pattern in the front yard for the outdoor shut off.  I finally found it and then realized that I did not have the long square key needed to turn the water off.  Soooo, back into town and over the Dugs and sure enough he has one.  I borrow it and head back to the house.  Has anyone ever noticed that sometimes this lake can be real big?  Finally got the water turned off and sweated in all of the stuff that needed to be put in and then got the water all back on.  Then I had to mop up the water that formed puddles in the basement instead of going down the drain.  Seems that the floor in the basement is not exactly level!  Start early in the morning and finish later in the afternoon a job that should have only been an hour or so.  At least the new faucet is in and mama will be happy that we now have the correct faucet in the kitchen. 

Went back to town and returned the borrowed tools to Dug and Skinny and thought that I would sneak over to the lodge and see how Bobby was doing.  He was sure enough in a happy mood.  It seems that he had schooled Dotch in the art of cribbage.  Poor Dotch, you would have thought that he would know better.  While I was there I signed up for the big poker games that are up and coming here at the lodge.  It was then that I noticed a purdy lil lady sitting at the bar and being the friendly type that I am I asked if I could buy her a beer.  She looked up from her soda and said no thanks.  She had a warm and friendly smile but her eyes told another story.  Looked like she had seen a ghost or something!  Fear loomed in her eyes but she went back to her soda and did not appear to want company at that moment. 

I hear tell that there is some one that wants to buy the old mill.  Hope that he can get it for a good price as it would need a lot if fixin up from what I hear.  Might have to stroll down there one of these days and see for myself why it had been avoided for all these years. 

Well I suppose I had better get back to the cabin and fix up some supper, the Lil Mrs will be home soon.  Ya all take care now././Jimbo

Offline McGurk

• Outdoorsman
With this talk of getting a Poker table together, I guess I'll have to throw my hat in the ring.  If there's an 8 person table, I have heard of a few vocal-locals expressing interest but I don't know if we have 8 yet.  I think we can count on Bobby, Dotch, Nytelyter, D.T., Duckslayer, possibly NorthernGal, and myself, but that leaves a couple of seats open.  I wonder if that claw-guy can deal without shredding cards?

Hey Dotch, I got that stained bottle you left at the lodge for me.  I don't know if I should use it as carb cleaner or an engine degreaser.  It smells gawd-awful, but there must be something you wanted me to do with it.  Bobby wouldn't tell me, so I went and talked to Dug about it.  He said he had seen it before, but didn't think it had any automotive purpose.  Elmer seemed to shy away from it and durn-near retched when I pulled the top off of it. I think he has a history with it, too, but stayed tight-lipped about it. 

I will say this about it: it cleaned the film off of the windows and doorknob at the shack left by that intruder.  Seems that this yeti is making the rounds as there Hank was out looking at the other houses in the area, and bidding out some repairs.  Nytelyter has added a log chain and the biggest MasterLock I 've ever seen draped across the front of his shack.  I was kind enough to keep any snow out of it by putting my gum on the keyhole for him.  He'll thank me later.

So, Duckslayer, when's the housewarming party?  With the weather coming in this weekend, you might need all the house warming you can get.  If you are in the cabin I'm thinking of, Reed said the furnace was a little undersized relative to the cabin size.  I can bring some firewood over if you need to feed the potbelly in the kitchen.

Oh yeah, has anyone seen Barney, not the dog?  Skinny asked me if I had seen him and told me to pass on that there is a 8 foot tall silverback gorilla in a dress looking for him.
Good Luck! McGurk

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
A little strange here at the lake last night. Not that there has not been a lot of strange going on around the lake in the past few days. I was out in the shack and I came out to start up the Jeep. I left the cozy warmth of the shack just as the ten PM freight was making it's way along the tracks on the far side of the lake. With no leaves on the trees and the cold to carry the noise you could hear  the clicky clack of the wheels on the tracks. The big light on the engine flashes through the trees and onto the frozen waters of the lake as the train weaves it's way  up and down the grade. As the train pulls even with the ice town our friend Freddie lets out a long)))))))))))))))))))))))) then short)))))) then one long)))))))))))))))))))))))))))) blast from the freight's horn. Lights from the ice town wink back at him, nothing strange there. But as the freight made it way out of sight and the clickly clank disappear in the night another sound replaced it.

I stood under the bright light of the half moon washing across the ice town with my ear cocked to one side. Elmer came out of his shack and stopped in mid stride looking at me. I pressed my fingers to my lips and then pointed to the West  Lifting the ear flap from his fur bomber hat he turned his good ear in that direction.. We listened...... The noise from the freight train as it disappeared farther and farther away was being replaced by a sweet drawn out melody. With the clear sky overhead and nothing but bright points of light flung out from stars we could hear a violin.

Someone was playing a violin out on the ice, other doors to shanties were opening and people were heading to start their trucks and they were captured in mid stride by the straining voice of the violin playing in the night. Searching with our ears both Elmer and I turned out heads trying to locate the source of the music. With nothing but clouds of our own breath rising from us we listened. Then it was gone, just the last note held until the lake claimed it. We stood for awhile waiting to see if it would return, but it did not. Someone started there truck and soon others did. The moment was lost as the exodus from the ice back to shore and warmth of cabins started. Elmer just looked at me and shrugged his shoulders, I did the same in return. Yes sir, a lot of strange things going on around here lately. From Lake Iwanttobethere  (589)
Bobby Bass

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
As i sit at the bar of the lodge, knowing its a man lodge but women are allowed to stop in now and then. I got to thinking,  what am i scared of?.. i mean she isn't after me, and i do not know where Barney.. not the dog.. is, and i feel sorry for the one who does. I smiled back over to DuckSlayer, making sure he didn't think i was rude or turning him down for a beer. Around these parts turning down a beer might be taken as being rude. So i finish my coke and nodded to the bar tender and slipped from the bar stool, now that i have some courage to go out there, into the wild, with a women on the war path , like a fright train knocking anything over on its way through.
As i was walking by the guys at the bar, i over heard talk of a poker game.. Now this caught my attention, always wanted to play poker.
I tapped DuckSlayer on the shoulder, and he turn to me with a smile, i got my guts up and asked if i could join in the poker game.. he smiled and said sure, we spoke of the time and what to bring with me, i thanked him and left out of the lodge.

Walking over to the trail and looking up into the tree that holds the cam, noticing more branches are once again blocking the cams view to the front doors of the lodge.. I take in a deep breath and i left the branches there and make my way back to the shoppe.

To my surprise the shoppe lights are on and Burtha is inside. I open the door and i stop in my tracks, seeing her almost made me run. Her hair was all over her head, make up has ran down her cheeks, her red lipstick is smeared across her chin, clothes ripped and wet, i almost laughed thinking she looked like a melted pink Sunday.
I really didn't want to say anything, knowing Burtha went down that hill a few times on her back, and i am sure thats how she came to look like this, but somewhere it came out... a small voice..asking...

Are you ok Burtha?..

Nothing but a few grunts and a growl and maybe even a hiss, i turned quickly and started to grab the lose towels that were scattered all over the floor and chairs, not wanting to say anything more.. Maybe due to fear or maybe there was nothing else to say.

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
Nothing going rite today, I was headed for the lodge when I met some guy on the street mumbling somthen about the mill being bought, Man I just got new tubing put on the st--,thinging hid in the corner. Guess I 'll have to look for a new place to keep things, wonder if the kids still use that hide away in the shcool. Maybe the basment of the lodge and just run a tap to the bar.What happen to Burtha, looked like she fell off the back of the train when she came out of Northerngals shop. I started to say hi but got such a hisss that I went to the other side of the street. Things weren't bad enough but I got to the lodge and Northerngal must of moved the branches from in front of the camera again. Why is it we guy's get things fixed just rite and the gals think it is out of place and move it? I just know gal is trying to catch me on film so she can blackmail some venny sausage out of me by threatening to show my little lady I'm lounging at the lodge well she is working. Now if one of you fellers will go out and put the branches back inplace I'll stop in. Last time I went over that high fence to get to the back door I about tore things lose.

Offline Duckslayer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Trip, the coast is now clear.  I took some of that one way morror stuff and put it on the camera lense.  When you look at it from the outside it looks like a normal cameral lens.  However, all the camera will see is a shiny silver colour.  That ought to take them a while to figure out! ;D

Some how the Hamms just tastes so much better today! eh eh eh  Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
I found Elmer in his basement work shop. An old record spinning away on the RCA. He yelled at me to bring  a beer down with me when I come. I grabbed two from the old fridgadare and head down the well worn wood steps to the work shop.  Soft sounds from a record that was pressed before I was born fill in the background noise. At the bottom of the stairs lies Lucy II. All fifteen feet nine inches of her. Elmer standing at her side in well worn blue bibs with a yellow shirt, sleeves rolled up past the elbows. In his hand a sanding block, fine sawdust covers the apron that hangs down from his neck. His other hand is lovely wiping away dust from the upturned hull of Lucy II  Standing at the bottom of the stairs I admire the clean lines of the little boat. Sitting keel upwards on several saw horses she looks quick just sitting there. I walk to Elmer, beers in hand. My other hand drags across the hull. I hand Elmer his beer and looking at my hand I see the fine white powered from the sanding on my finger tips. Wiping them on my pants I leave a trace like war paint on my leg.

Elmer takes a long pull from his beer and I take a sip. Leaning back against the workbench we both say nothing but just stand and admire Lucy. " How long has it been" I ask Elmer,  he takes a short sip of his beer this time and replies "Twenty-one years" shaking my head and walking towards Lucy's stern. " Are you ever going to finish her" I ask. "Someday" Elmer replies than takes another sip of his beer. " Well I just came by to see if you need a lift to the Lodge?"
 " Nope" Elmer replies, "Going to work on Lucy tonight, to cold to be out and about" I nod back and setting my beer down on the work bench pick up a sanding block and wrapping some 180 grit paper around it I join Elmer sanding and hand rubbing the boat. Time goes by and the beer is drained. Looking at  the clock I tell Elmer I should  be on my way. Elmer nods and continues to sand. Slow, even strokes out and back, out and back. Then a bare hand across the surface to wipe the dust away the hand then wipes the dust on to his apron. Walking to the bottom of the stairs I climb two steps before turning back to face Elmer. " How are you ever going to get Lucy out of the basement Elmer? " Elmer pauses and just smiles. " Will let the next guy worry about that".. From Lake Iwanttobethere (636)
Bobby Bass

Offline D.T.

• Outdoorsman
While you guys were sanding on Lucy I took a look under the plaid table cloth. Look what I found!

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
While you guys were sanding on Lucy I took a look under the plaid table cloth. Look what I found!

Just more proof that just like the lake, "If you search you will find it"
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Deputy sheriff Tim rolled over on to his back, the old springs in the bed creaking beneath his weight. Laying on his back he looked up at the faded off white ceiling and the fan slowly turning overhead. Rubbing the stubble on his chin he rolled out of the bed to walk the short distance to the frosted window of the hotel room he was staying in. Putting his big hand up against the glass he watched as it melted the frost from beneath. With a now chilled hand he looked out at the Town of Lake Iwanttobethere. His window faced Main Street and it was quiet and it looked very cold. A few people made there way down the sidewalk but were so bundled in coats and scarfs he could not tell who they were let alone male or female. Would be a while before he got a glimpse of a naked ankle here.

Being careful not to touch the old cast iron radiator he checked his clothes that he had placed on the back of  a chair to dry the night before. Already going over his day in his head he headed for the old claw tub in the bathroom. Not being in a rush he decide on a good soaking instead of a shower. With hot water pounding the bottom of the tub he quickly shaved. Slipping into the tub of hot water he relaxed and went over yesterday. Did a lot of handshaking and touching base with a lot of the business along Main Street. Met some old friends and even got a few good tips on a few fishing spots out on the ice. Having been born on the lake he already has an idea of where he would spend some time fishing if given the chance. The old squad was running like a charm since he had Dug give it a tune up for the weather up here. Tim had known Dug ever since he was a young lad going by the nickname "Scooter" always on the move. Trouble was that Scooter learn to ride go-carts and lawn tractors and motor bikes fast and it was several years before he was legal to ride on the county roads. Tim also had a passion for going fast and Scooter and him came to an understanding about driving with out a license. That was years ago and Scooter known as Dug when he got older is the best in the county with anything that has a gas engine. Tim similes to himself remembering how the old sheriff tried to chase Scooter when he had his air boat. Right down the center of town they went, Scooter out over the bank onto the waters of the lake and the sheriff into the water.

Adding more hot water to the tub by adjusting the taps with his feet  Tim sank deeper into the relaxing waters. The Lodge has not changed at all, except for them pillows on the wicker couch. The Wild Turkey with  the Hamms chaser sure hit the spot. Spent some time there with Bobby and Gus. Elmer, well Elmer is Elmer. Signed up for poker night, won't be able to make it every week but will try and get some hands in. Borrowed a camera from Bobby, have to take some pictures of shanties out in the ice town and some weird shaped boot prints on the ice. Cousin Burtha said she was trying to find her husband Barney, not the dog and asked if I would keep an eye open. After talking to cousin Earl I think I have a leg up on the things going on out on the ice. Adding a little more hot water Tim closes his eyes and smiles. Lake Iwanttobethere (669)
Bobby Bass