Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Lake Iwanttobethere  (Read 319862 times)

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
HiYa, from the Lake. A balmy 17 here today and going higher.. Dogs actually spend some time outside this morning. Bud made his rounds of the lot and Barney headed to the ice to check out his reflections. Pepper running across the crusted snow made a beeline to Elmers back door and was let in as soon as she scratched. I am sure she is eating her milkbones that she missed during this cold snap. Still and sunny out. I got the toboggan out and hauled a few loads of fire wood from the main wood pile down to the cabin. Rack outside the door and the wood box inside are now stocked full again. These past few weeks of cold weather has made a dent in the pile. Had to work at getting some of the packed snow removed from around the greenhouse door but did get it cleared so I could get in and check things out. The heavy frost that is coating the walls and roof are losing there grip in the sunshine.  With the door slamming behind me I was hit with the falling frost. Lucky I had my hat on but some went down the back of my neck, If I wasn't awake before I sure was then.

Calling Bud I headed into town, Barney was already off across the lake heading for the shanty town. If he does not find anyone catching fish he will be at the Lodge before Bud and I can get there. Been almost a month since we have had any real snowfall here at the lake. We did get that little dusting of  a few inches just in time for the carnival but that hardly counts. Banks are hard, I hit one yesterday. No damage to the Dodge, just kind of cleaned the bumper off some. Passed Frank the plow driver on my way into town. Pushing back banks he was out by the golf course. Mark the mailman was coming the other way and we stooped and chatted for awhile. Mark is the eyes of the lake as he travels and keeps an eye out on cabins while he is on his route. Pretty easy right now with no leaves on the trees and snow covering everything. You can look right from the road to the lake. Few months from now it,  the view will be covered with green grass and leaves. Can't wait for that to happen. All you see now is mounds of snow covering docks up on the land and the blue of tarps covered pontoons up on the shorelines. Of course we do have the shanty's out on the ice and everyone can see the bright bluebird shack that is Tess's with Hanks shack hiding behind it. The land is pretty quiet, no birds, deer are hiding out back in the cedar swamps I think and everyone else is sleeping. No bears or skunks. Mice are busy as are the moles but they have there own little world under the snow.

Someone must be catching fish as Bud and I made it to the Lodge and no Barney. I walk behind the bar and get on the CB and put a shout out for him. Chuck calls back and tells me that Barney is with him. Everyone on the CB now knows that Chuck is catching fish as Barney only stays with someone who is catching. Sure enough I go over to the deck window and using the spotter scope I can see a few portables heading in the direction of Chucks shanty. Just then Elmer enters with Pepper at his feet, the two of them head for the wicker couch and the TV goes on with the afternoon soap. I see on the chalk board Nytelyter has some more information in regards to poker night. Two tables will be playing now. Smart move on part  getting Nytelyter to be the director, takes him off the tables. I look out over the lake while I take a quarter out and let it weave back and forth through the fingers of my right hand. I forget I am even doing it, Hard habit to break when you have poker chips in your hand. Have to stop that, might give me away.

Well I head back to my office, paper work to take care of and I have to talk to Stan at the bank about the recent deposit we made on the sale of the old mill. A sudden windfall for the town and we will have to have a town meeting to see what if anything we want to do with the money  7,698.17 that brings our balance to just a tad over 7700.00  With that we can close the books on the Old Mill and Hunter McQuaid.  Well late lunch crowd is here and several people are out on the deck watching some kind of activity down on the ice in the direction of Chuck's shanty. From Lake Iwanttobethere, in a county that no one can pronounce.. (933)
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
HiYa from the Lodge. Some what quiet here last night as with the heat wave that has swept in most people were out in there shanties. Even early this morning you could see smoke drifting up from stove pipes and a few portables were being dragged out from the access towards Root Beer Island. Just a little dusting of snow over night, just enough to let you see where the bunnies have been. With the warmer weather both Bud and Barney were out of the cabin and making rounds. Barney on the ice made a bee line to Chuck's shanty. From what I have heard a bunch of jumbo perch were committing suicide by attacking wax worms yesterday afternoon. By dusk all the portables were set up in a circle around Chuck's shanty. I think Nytelyter finally is able to walk out his shack door now with out tripping on someone's else's auger. We did have to post an unsafe ice sign off the island from all the holes that were drilled around the nigh lighters shack. Hank and Skinny this morning put a chain to the Johnson brothers vw bug shanty and pulled it out of the snow bank that it has been buried in. Some of the kids with there snowmobiles had been using it as a jump. It now sits back on top of the snow and acts as a marker for visitors fishing. I did talk to Hank when he drove the plow truck back up off the ice about the old mill job. He told me that he called the number back and he got Reed. The call had been placed from the towns pay phone and Reed just happen to be going into his office when the phone rang.

Today is poker day at the Lodge and we have a few tables filled up and would not surprise me at all if another will be filled with late comers. It took me a while but I did find my wide brim poker cap and the mirror sunglasses that go with it.. I have my traveling cigar case and lighter ready and I will have to see how I can do on the first day. I already know I am going to have to watch out for Duckslayer and Dotch and McGurk talks a good game but I think he will be easy picking once the Turkey starts flowing. NorthernGal and her accent might be another one to watch. My money is on Elmer, if he gets started on one of his yarns everyone will be distracted.

There is  a suggestion box on the bar top for what we think the town should do with the money from the sale of the Mill. I have seen some of then since I have the key to the box. Save it for a rainy day, a yellow flashing street light hanging in the center of town,  it could be used as a night light. A new fishing pier, a shower house at the access. A fourth hole at the golf course. An even bigger Welcome to Lake Iwanttobethere sign.  A tax rebate. Skirting for the Town Hall. A replacement ladder for the missing ladder on the fire truck. Brakes would be nice to. Upgrading the toilet paper in the public access outhouses.  A raise for mayor Tom ( I saw him put that one in there) some flowers for the base of the water tower and more park benches. Those were just from last night. I am sure they will be more ideas to come.

Sheriff Tim and I shared a table at the Dew Drop this morning. Over a truckers special of eggs, ham and American fries we caught up some. His first week in town had been busy. A few calls to follow up on and he was going to go fishing with the local C O later in the day. Maybe even sit in at one of the poker tables.  Mike from the junkyard reported that some of his copper tubing is missing, he had left the shed where he stores the good stuff unlocked and several lengths are now gone. He has since put a padlock on the door. Burtha wanted to turn in a missing person report on Barney, not the dog. But Tim talked her out of it. Especially since he knows that Barny, not the dog has a cot in the basement of the Lodge. Smart move by Barney, not the dog is that all he had to do is pay his membership  fee for the year and he can bunk down there anytime. As a Lodge member we have the "In trouble and need a place to sleep away from your wife bylaw" A few more reports about the mystery violin player on the lake. No one really complaining just want to know who in town can play like that. O I forgot to mention that the violin player did play again. Just the other right in the middle of the night under the full moon the sound of a violin could be heard all across the lake. A lot of people heard it as there was a pretty good crowd of fishermen out on the ice. It went on for several minutes.

Tomorrow the Lodge will be busy. Our annual Take a kid Ice Fishing day will be held. An event that the Lodge sponsors for not only local kids but kids from the big city. We expect a good turn out and with the Luge we will make quick work of sending them out onto the ice. Hammering Hank is this years main man along with his wife Tess. If you would like to help out the event starts at 10 am and we expect a good turn out from Lodge members. So from a balmy 28 above here at the lake. From lake Iwanttobethere in a county that no one can pronounce have  good day! (954)
Bobby Bass

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
  • NorthernGal --Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Burtha was busy around the shoppe today, busier then normal. I keeped a eye on her while i was fixing the Trail cam. I walked into the back room and saw a very large size bright pink coat with bright yellow fur around the bottom, the sleeves and hood, a yellow cap with bright pink flowers all over it, along with bright pink gloves and boots to match. I just stood there eyes fixed on Burtha's clothing, wondering why they were there. Was she going to take a trip? Just then Burtha came walking in, asking me how i liked her new winter gear, then she picked up a bright pink tackle box and a pink pole... omg Shes going fishing? was the first thought to enter my now over whelmed mind.
I'm going ice fishing she said...

I almost fall backwards when i seen Flo enter that back room, wearing a yellow cowboy hat, a black long fringed coat and cowboy boots, even under that hat i knew her hair was all up in a bee hive. Bright purple eye makeup and very red lips, earrings hanging down to her shoulders..

I blinked and in comes a Butt sister.. I didn't think it could get any worst then it was, but Burt was dressed in the same outdoor gear as Burtha... I found it hard to breathe , and sit down in a chair, speechless.

Then i turn hearing a soft sweet voice.. Brandi
Y'all all ready for this fishing thing? she said
Do we really have to go out on the ice?

I looked her all up and down, wearing over the knee 5 inch heel boots,  a very short checkered skirt and a white button down blouse, under a full length red fur coat...

Who are those people was all i could think of.

Burtha gathered her gear and out the door they all went just like the clowns at the circus.. one by one..

Everyone in the shop stopped what they were doing and watched the parade waddle out the front door.
We all got up.. mouths open and watch them make their way down to the lake..

Betty ..who is a widow and has been for over 20 years now spoke up

You know.. i noticed a huge shanty that was bright pink out on the ice, you don't think that was Burthas do ya?

All i could say was, god help all the fisher people out there when they get on that ice..

Well i think i just seen it all...

Guess i better get this trail cam back up by the lodge.. and to check out why Barney...not the dog... was doing with that case of bottles and sneaking around the back of the lodge...

While i am there i need to make some of the guys feel intimidated maybe they will think i am a great card player that way, and no one will know i never played before. I really cant wait for tonight and the poker game..
the hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Best place for Bait.....Babes Bait... Babe's is locally known as “the best little bait shop in Ely”. Tackle and Fresh Bait

Offline Duckslayer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
HiYa... did you guys see what I saw this morning?  What the heck was that heading out onto the ice and where the heck did the flourescent pink fish house come from?  WOW  I am guessing if that thing glows in the dark there will be no need for lights out on the lake when one is heading to/from the ice house. 

Went into the attic this morning and dug out and old frilly shirt with them oversized collars on it.  Then I found my old bug eye glasses and my Panna Jack hat.  If I am gonna play cards I may as well look like a card player.  That is the kind of thing that they have on the TV all the time anyway.  Back in the day when playing penny ante poker I was never much good at it.  I always donated all my pennies to some one at the game.  I hope that I have better luck with this Texas holdem stuff.  If nothing else it will be fun to get out of the house and sit around and BS with the rest of the folk there.  I hear tell that Purdy Lil thing that came in the other night, the one that works at Berthas not the one related to her, likes to hunt, fish and camp so maybe we can sit and swap lies... er I mean stories  ;D  I'll have to be careful though as I hear that she can make a Lab lay down in the submissive posture when she gets her dander up!

Maybe get to meet and talk to hook tonight as well.  Be interesting to see if he found any treasures in the mill as he was cleaning it up.  Al long as the thing looks like it has been empty though I would imagine that if there were any there to begin with they would be long gone by now.  Will be interesting to see how that place turns out.  It looks pretty bad but the structure seemed to be fairly sturdy.

Well I got all the old carpet out of the Lil Mrs MG today.  Whatta mess!  All different kinds of things in there that they were using to hold it down.  I think that I will have to buy about a gallon of contact cement and go to work on it.  Found a wire coming off the battery that went up to the radio and then to the speaker wires.  I do not know why a speaker would need battery so I cut all of that out.  Dang radio and speakers are shot any how.  I think that before I put the new carpet in I will run some speaker wire to the back of the car so that it will be well hidden from view.  Don't know what kind of radio we will put in there, I am keeping an eye out for one of those old 5 button push button radions.  Well it is a '74 and that is what we had back then!  More often than not I am sure she will be listening to that IPOD thing anyway.

Well I suppose I better go and hit the shower.  Have a going away party to get to yet this afternoon before the poker starts.  Keli, Kevins daughter, is leaving for Iraq next week so I better go get my hug.  She sives nice hugs!

Well we'll CYa at the Lodge tonight.  Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
Well everyones gone from the shoppe, and i better get out of here and lock up now that the cleaning is all done. I guess the mob down at the lake might be catching something, since i haven't heard anything from them.

I found out that Barney.. not the dog... is going in and out of the back door at the lodge, i saw him carrying in cooper tubing and more wooden crates.. Maybe during the game i will get some fresh air and have a look down stairs to see why Barney .. not the dog.. is staying there..

I wonder who is all going to be there, i sure hope i get a change to meet again that DS guy, he was very nice the first time i met him. Also the guy with the hook, whom we nicked named Hookie.. i wonder if his bark is worst then his bite?

I am going to bring Hunter with, hes always good luck.. Hes a good lab too..And they let dogs in there as well, so why not.. Now that i think of it , i will go a bit early and get the trail cam up and going as well..

Time to head home and eat something them shower, to be ready for the card game tonight. Maybe if i put on something low cut maybe their attention will be on me and not the cards?.. I have just the thing too.. laughs out loud.. as she locks the door and heads home ...smiling....
Best place for Bait.....Babes Bait... Babe's is locally known as “the best little bait shop in Ely”. Tackle and Fresh Bait

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Kids are out on the ice and the luge was sending them down the hill about every ten seconds. Earlier in the morning we sent Barney  the dog. Over in the direction of McGurks shack and as soon as Barney, the dog was seen there the portable picked up and moved in that direction. This left Chuck's shanty clear and the kids were sent down to fish in that area. We already know that the perch are there and it looks from here at the Lodge that they are catching fish. Temps in the 30's so could not ask for a better day to go ice fishing.

Sitting here on the wicker couch with the sun shinning in I remember one of my favorite days of fishing..............     I woke up to the sound of distant rolling thunder as a storm is moving by here at Lake Iwanttobethere. An over cast sky and a very light drizzle is falling. Since it is warm out the light drizzle is hardy even a nuisance. Looking out over the lake I see the occasional flash of lightning then hear the rolling of thunder through the heavy sky. Barney is already at the edge of the dock looking back at me, tail wagging. Ah what the heck I take a quick peak over my shoulder to make sure the misses don't see me and I slip into the old wood row boat and shove off. Barney jumps in behind me and heads for his place in the bow.  I check the cooler and see I still have a few crawlers in there from yesterday when the son was using the boat fishing with the grandson. Very unusual to find bait left over. Checking to make sure the boat tackle box is in place I settle in to the center seat and put the oars out into the still water. With a practiced tug I lean into the oars and start to glide across the water. A long gentle vee appears at the bow and spreads out behind me as I cruise across the water. I am in rhythm now and as I row I see a flash in the distant and then in my mind I count off one Mississippi two Mississippi three Mississippi four Mississippi and then hear the rumble. Still far away not to be a problem not a good idea to be out in the rain but sometimes it's the best time. Looking down at my feet I see the handle of the boat umbrella so I am good in case it starts to come down. Almost at the point a ease up and slide around it to enter another small bay. With a few short easy strokes I coast to a stop within casting distant of a rock pile that I know of.

Even though I have the bass boat tied up back at the dock sometimes like today it's best for the stealthy approach, Fishing like I was a ten year old it's good to return to the past. With that I reach under the seat and pull out my old fiberglass rod. It's already got a red and white bobber and a small split shot. At the end dangles a Eagle Claw #6 hook. My catch everything size hook. With this set up and my rock pile I will be able to catch or at least try to almost anything. With some effort I manage to thread a crawler on to the hook and with a soft cast a I drop the bobber, sinker and worm right where I know the rock pile starts. A few gentle rings roll out from the bobber to grow bigger and smaller at the same time. The bobber settles down and I settle in, Setting the rod down I call for Barney. He climbs off his perch and I reward him with an ear scratch and a pat on the rump as he turns to return to his seat. Nothing happening with the bobber, it's just sitting there. A few larger drops fall from time to time hitting the surface and making rings of their own. Barney is intend on a single reed poking it's way out of the water. So I sit here watching him watching it. Barney is on point, eyes locked in on that reed, his hindquarters twitch a little. O well I have fished with Barney before and I have learned to watch him.

I reel in and with a soft underhand toss I drop the crawler and bobber about a foot past the reed, with a turn of the handle I pull the bobber right up to the reed and then let it settle back. The spreading rings go past the reed to disappear. I sit back and wait, not watching the bobber but watching Barney. He just sits and looks at the bobber. A flash of lightning makes me look up and I start counting again in my head, little closer this time. Might have to think about going in soon here. Looking back at Barney I see he is up on all fours looking intently at the bobber, then I see his hindquarters start to quiver. Looking at the bobber I see it bounce ever so slightly. Then again, Bluegill I'm thinking. Then it moves to the right and then back again to the left, now I'm thinking Perch.... Then it just does a slow decent into the waters of Lake Iwanttobethere and I point the rod and stand up. I set the hook and am rewarded with a BASS she breaks water and flings her head from side to side. The trusty Eagle Claw secure in the side of her mouth, Barney starts barking and wagging his tail, looking back at me I can almost read his eyes at he looks at me and then back at the tail walking bass as she turns trying to get away from me. It takes a few minutes but I get her along side the boat, Reach down and lip her and with long practice I tug the hook from her mouth, Holding her up for Barney to inspect we agree that she is all of four pounds more likely closer to five when I tell the story at the Lodge tonight. I slip her back into the water and she slaps the surface flicking water back at Barney and me. Just then the rain starts to pick up the rings on the surface are getting bigger and closer together. Time to head back, but there is another flash and this one is much closer. I put out the oars and pull for shore, don't want to be on open water right now. The old bow of the rowboat hits the shoreline and me and Barney settle in to wait out the storm. I reach under the seat to grab the umbrella handle and that is all that comes out, no umbrella. So there I sit, in the pouring rain with my dog and no umbrella, I feel like I'm ten again, sometimes not a bad thing at all....

I wake up to the static of the CB and Hanks voice calling for lunch to be sent down. He does not expect me to answer it being silent Sunday and all. Along with Gus we haul the cooler with chili and Coney's, pop and chips to the luge. Secured with a bungee we give it a push and down the hill it goes. It is met out on the lake like one of them first aid drops. Kids tear into the cooler and retrieve the cans of pop and chips and with Coney an chili in hand they  then fan out again heading back to their fishing holes. Barney the dog has made his way back to Chuck's and from here it looks like they are catching fish.. From Lake Iwanttobethere (970)
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
HiYa.. With the last of the kids on the bus and pulling out  from  the lake access lodge members started to find there way back to the Lodge. A few Hamms were drawn from the tapper and the sound of tired bodies hitting the chairs of the Lodge could be heard. Some feeble attempts at conversation were made but it just seemed that all of the young kids had just plain worn out the members. Skinny had hauled the now empty coolers back to the Lodge and they were emptied of torn chip bags and crushed pop cans. The containers holding chili were sent back to the kitchen to be cleaned and one lonely bun was left in a plastic bag. Fishing  had been good. Everyone caught at least something and a few went home with small storage bags of cleaned fish. Instruction on how to prepare the fish were sent along to. The local kids headed back to there cabins or some of them just headed out to there parents shanties and continued  to fish. While giving rides on a  sled Hank had bumped Chucks shanty and was still back down on the ice making repairs. The CB crackled in the corner and I could hear Hank looking for Skinny. Seems he had dropped his hammer down one of Chuck's fishing holes and needed Skinny to run him down another hammer. Skinny came up from the basement with a hammer in hand and went out the door. A minute later he reappeared in the Lodge heading for the popcorn machine. Elmer looking up from his spot on the wicker couch said " I thought you were bring Hank a hammer?" With a basket of popcorn in his hand Skinny replied  "  Barney, the dog is taking care of it" and pointed out the Lodge deck window. There was Barney heading down the Luge delivering the hammer.

We watched from the window as Barney rode a toboggan down the luge and right out to where Chuck's shanty was. Hank took the hammer and then snapped the rope from the toboggan on to Barney collar and Barny headed back up the hill to the Lodge. A few minutes later Barney the dog was at the Lodge. Skinny went out and took the rope off his collar, giving Barney a dog bone and a pat on the rum. Then they both went back inside the Lodge. Standing out on the Lodge deck I watched all of this and just shook my head. It being silent Sunday I could not say anything. It was about that time with the sun setting that I thought in the distance I could hear a harmonica playing. Just for  a moment I could hear it and then it was gone. From Lake Iwanttobethere
Bobby Bass

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman

HiYa
The colorful parade made their way back to the shoppe. Once they entered all i could make out, after having a headache from lasts night poker game, was them going on and on about Barney ...the dog, going down the hill.. Burtha walked over and sat down taking off her outdoor gear as she picked up the mic of the cb radio and keyed the mic..

Ok you all out there, this is Burtha, and i am putting out a reward to who ever brings Barney  .. not the dog... alive.. or dead... well better be alive so i can kill him myself... If anyone has any info on his where abouts let me know, there might be something in it for ya too..

She unclicked the mic and toss it down near the coba base station.. and flipped the squelch dial so the static will go away...

Turning to me, as my heart started to pump harder

You can go home early, NG , see you tomorrow

I nodded and hurried to the back room to get my things and get to get out of there as fast as i could.. I could use a beer for sure..

Brandi walked in the back where i was and ask me if i wanted to go for a few drinks and maybe stir the lodge up some... Hey why not was all i could say... and off we went to have some fun at the lodge..

see you at the lodge
from me to you from Lake Iwanttobethere
« Last Edit: January 01/27/08, 09:15:58 PM by Northerngal »

Offline Duckslayer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
HiYa one and all!  WOW, I can not remember the last time that I slept till one in the afternoon!  Did it today and the way that my head feelt I should have slept longer!  What A night playing cards!  That Night Lighter guy deserves a hand!  Those were some awesome hot wings there buddy!  I have not anything that hot in my mouth since I chomped on that napalm ball thing over in Korea!  I suppose that the lodge is pretty tickled with all the drinks that they sold trying to put out those fires that you lit in folk’s mouths!  I suppose later today I will suffer the final consequences of eating those things!

I thought that I might have a bit better luck at the hold’em game but that does not seem to be the case!  I came home with less money than I left with so I guess I did not come out the winner.  Last I saw Bobby had a pretty big grin on his face though!  Does not matter though, I will be back again nest week.  Had a great time there and will do that again!  I did get to sit next to that purdy lil lady known as NG.  What a refreshing treat that turned out to be!  We seem to have a lot of the same interests in life and it was a very pleasant evening!  Lots of small talk and BS’ing going on at the table!  I tell ya what that Lil lady can put away a shot or three as well!  We did a few over the course of the evening!  All it all it was a great night!  It seems that there were a lot of folks there that dug out the old card clothes from days gone by!  Guys there with garters on their arms and lots of them little visor caps as well.  Any way after the games ended we sat round and have a few more and then before ya know it the night was over.  I do not even remember who actually won the first night of cards!  I might not have won but I know that I did not come in last place either!

Anyway when the bell was rang and it was time to go I stood up to leave and discovered that I may have had an equilibrium problem…  It seemed that gravity was trying to take a full effect on me.  I noticed that NG was having the equal but opposite problem and we figured out that if we went arm in arm out the door we could navigate fairly well.  Any way I walked to her to her cabin and bid her goodnight!  What a good kid she seems to be, though not very tight lipped.  Seems like I will have to go and do some more camera work here in the very near future.  I was able to stagger most of the way home.  I was almost in the home bay when Hookie came buy and asked if I wanted to go fishing.  Well, far be it from me to turn down a fishing invite so off we went!  We made a bee line for Chucks fish house as that is where Barney, the dog, has been hanging out so there must be fish there!  Sure nuff we caught some nice ones!   Brought them back over to my cabin and cooked them up for a nice early, real early,  morning breakfast.  Then as the sun was still an hour away Hookie bid good night and headed back to the old mill.  He seems like a nice enough fella!  I cleaned up the kitchen and snuck into bed snuggling with the Lil Mrs.  She told me that I should roll over to my own side of the bed and pray that my breath does not catch the pillow case on fire.  WOW, them wings must have been hot! 

Had young son and his fiancée out for supper tonight to review plans for the wedding and how much money I need to save up!  I cooked up a couple of mallards and a couple of wood ducks for supper.  He and I ate them and the rest of the family that does not appreciate the finer tastes in life had Cornish game hen!  Mmmmmmmmm a finer meal can not be had!  It is time now to relax in the recliner and figure out exactly how that 12 pack of Spotted Cow disappeared this afternoon!  Hope that you all have a wonderful weekend!  Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
HiYa.  44 out here on the deck of the Lodge. A lot going on in town as people are out all over. A lot are taking advantage of this what we here at the lake would call a heat spell! If it hits fifty I am going to go to my locker in the basement and get out a pair of shorts and a golf shirt. Taking advantage of the weather, shop owners are busy cleaning windows and sweeping off their sidewalks. The car wash has had a steady parade of trucks and cars and even a few trailers with sleds go through. The doors over at Dug's are standing wide open and you can see him working through the blue haze of exhaust. Even here at the Lodge we have the windows cracked open and just one fireplace going. Taking a break here from the morning hunt. Our 2nd annual Scare the pigeons from the roof shoot out is going on behind the Lodge. We did this last year but this year since we are doing it again it now becomes an annual event. Don't need much of a reason to have any kind of shooting event here at the Lodge.

Since this is now an event we needed to have some rules. So teams were picked and a lottery held for times to be out in the blind. Only Daisy lever action BB guns are allowed and since the Lodge has three of them everyone will share them. In teams of two we started at eight this morning. In a blind constructed of snow blocks and evergreen branches the contestants have one hour to take out as many pigeons as they can from the roof of the Lodge. There are of course some rules. No shooting pigeons on the ground, no baiting,  no shooting at visitors or tourists,. No shooting in the direction of the lake, no shooting Lodge garbage cans or the Lodge itself. Shooting birds from the roof is OK and encouraged. Winners will be determined by the number of pigeons killed or scared to flight. So far no one has killed a bird but Skinny and Hank are at the top of the leader board with 32 scares in there hour slot time. There is some thought involved as most people think that going later in the day will be better as the birds will be tired and fly less. Giving someone a chance to poke one.

Elmer and I did not do to well. Not my fault. Elmer was intent on taking a bird out and had his good eye on a gray one that always seems to find his truck's windshield in the Lodge's parking lot. Elmer would not let me shoot but I could only keep his Daisy's at the ready. He spent most of our hour trying to bounce a bb off the Lodge's chimney and get his bird with a ricochet. We scored but 17 scares. Shooting goes till sundown so it will be  awhile before we have a winner. Sheriff Tim came by and heard that we were out shooting out back. He came out just as Big Earl was taking a shot at wing shooting the flock. Tim saw him and pulling his revolver dropped two from the flock before they were behind the big Pines. The Lodge emptied at the sound of the shots. The contest rules were explained to Tim he then removed his badge and joined Big Earl and Junior behind the blind. They had but 15 scares, the two dead birds did not count. The birds did not return for almost thirty minutes but as pigeons do they did return. Of course they had made a pass over Sheriff Tim's car. Last time I saw him he was in line at the car wash.

Hank and Skinny are down on the ice, Clearing an oval for this upcoming weeks go-cart and Lawn Tractor races. Before the Lodges Super Bowl Party we will have races down on the ice. Always good for some entertainment. Takes so long to finally get to the game that we started the races so we would have a reason to be at the Lodge all day. I am ready. I still have the tires for the MTD that I screwed in those 1000 screws last winter to make studs. As far as going in a circle I just let the air out of the front tire on the left side. Goes to the left pretty good then. I don't think the speeds will be that fast this year as there is no soft snow. All pretty crusty   and that is no fun hitting. We were going to do it in the hockey rink but them boards are really hard on the decks as some guys use there tractor to mow in the summer with. Well from a Monday here at the Lodge have a good day on the ice. From Lake Iwanttobethere (1025)
« Last Edit: January 01/28/08, 10:59:57 PM by Bobby Bass »
Bobby Bass

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
A dark figure can be seen from the shadows coming from the light inside the old mill. He sneaks around checking all the windows, looking for a way to get in out of the cold. In one hand he has a wooden violin..Softly then louder he hears a harmonica and he lifts hsi violin to his chin and starts to play with the man inside the mill..

Offline Duckslayer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
HiYA, WOW!  Whatta difference a day makes!  -13 out there right now with a wind chill of -32!  When I got home from work this morning, I worked overnight last night, I made me a couple of Spamiches.  For you in the youngish sector that is a where with great skill and cunning you get the entire contents of a can of  :spam: to fall out in one piece onto the cutting board.  Then ya slice off a couple of slabs and put them into the hot frying pan.  While they are cooking you dig out the buns.  The very best bread to use for these are those little dinner rolls that are real nice and moist.  You slice them in half, three in an unbroken row is just enough, and you wait patiently for the Spam to get done frying.  I like to take some Mayo and some horseradish and mix it up and smear that on the dinner rolls.  Then when the Spam is done you lay it on the bread and kind of smush the two halves together!  Mmmmm, makes for one good sammich!  So good in fact, that I had a couple more!  I don’t make them very often but they sure hit the spot every now and again.  I think that next time I might try to fry some onions and when they are about half done throw the Spam right on top of them.

I went out to the fish house for a bit this afternoon to see if I could catch anything during that “sundown bite”.  I am glad that the fish shanty is not to far from the house as I almost froze my butt off on the way back in!  Had a bit of luck with the bite and I had some great fresh Walleye for supper.  What more can a person ask for? 

With the strong wind blowing out of the north it is a bit brisk here on the south end.  While I was walking in from the shanty, I thought that I could here the sound of a harmonica floating in the wind.  I thought nah, can’t be.  Then I heard that lonesome violin again, almost as if it were accompanying the harmonica.  Seemed strange though but the violin seemed to be much louder and clearer than the harmonica.  Can’t quite place the music but I know that I have heard it before. 

I suppose that I should get going.  The honey-do list will not take care of itself!  Then again, I might just have to go to the Lodge and see what is happening there.  It’s to cold to work any way.  Besides, if I play my cards right I might get to be on candid camera.  Maybe I can find McGurk or Hookie and get into a nice game if cribbage.  Heck if they are both there I am sure that we can talk Bobby into palying a quick game of Eucher with us at the end of the bar.  Take care and N Joy the Hunt.  CYa././Jimbo
« Last Edit: January 01/30/08, 02:37:42 PM by Duckslayer »

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
HiYa, so cold here last night that I had to put my hands down the fishing hole to warm them up! Must have been Spam night because I had a some pan fried Spam and a few eggs last night for  a late snack. No matter what anyone tells you that stuff does expire. Spam has been a life saver a few times for me. We always pack a few cans when going on fishing trips. There have been a few nights where if it was not for the Spam and some tatters we would be climbing in to the sleeping bag hungry. One of those meats that belong in it's own separate food group. Throw it in your  pack and it's there when you need it. Next week, next year. Been around since 1937 if I remember right. In high school I even wrote a paper about Spam. Will have to remember to stop in at Ma and Pa's and buy another can to replace the one I just used.

Must have been a slow news day as the town down from us had a TV crew going through on the way back from a barn fire and they somehow found out about our Pigeon shoot off. Came into the Lodge and stuck a camera in my face and I had to tell them something. Told them old man Peters won the event. (he has been dead for quite some time but they don't know that).  Thought it would be a good idea for Peters to get his 15 minutes of fame even if it came a little late. Larry was in the Lodge this morning and said that his wife who works at the towns switchboard was getting calls looking for Peters  and also for the Lodge from some place calling themselves PETA Since the Lodge has an unlisted number in keeping with our policy of having Lodge members be left alone while at the Lodge we have not received any calls yet. There was some small talk about having an indoor shoot at the Old Mill as the new owner has a bird problem. Might be some concern in regards to safety. Lodge members inside  a building with bb guns? Already Skinny was trying to get a hold of his brother Shifty to see if he had any full face shields for his cycle helmets. Skinny was thinking he could rent them out. Skinny, Hammering Hank and Big Earl are not ones to see an opportunity in making money get away. Even thinking body armor. Earl has a supply of heavy cardboard that he was willing to let go, at the right price.

About six last night the town was about as quiet as you will ever see it. With the temperature falling as you watched the thermometer and  smoke coming at right angles off the chimneys it was cold and getting colder. Pigeons were still around, huddled around the chimney of the Lodge trying to stay warm. Nothing else was moving. A few fishermen on the ice but they were in their shanties. Just a glimpse of light from someone peeking out a window from time to time. That was the only way you knew anyone was on the ice. Some of them houses out there are better built then there cabins, and in this weather probably a warmer place to be. Dogs here were all up on the couches, floor was to cold for them I am going to guess. Glad I had took the time when we had the warm day to bring wood down to the cabin and stock the racks.  Keeping a good fire going to keep the cabin toastie. Just a few days of this and then Sunshine Ray says it will be back in the twenties and good fishing weather again. The ice harvest is back on the calendar for next week. Glad we waited as we have some real good ice now and where we harvest it is better then 24 inches thick. Also better temps for the ice racing, wont's have to wear so many clothes and might get another mph out of the MTD  No snow in the forecast so it looks like we can get a few practice runs in if we want to try.

Barney not the dog is still using the cot in the Lodge's basement. He says he will return home here soon. Just a misunderstanding between him and the misses. The pink shanty has been a real eye opener sitting close to shore there like it is. Someone made  a comment the other night that with the pink one and Tess's blue one it looks like Easter has come early to the ice. That pretty young thing that  Is new to the town has been sitting at the Lodge's bar the past  few nights. Well we think she is young as I don't recall anyone saying what her face looks like. I should make a point of having Gus card her next time she comes in. I do know the bar stools never felt better since she came in. I think she is just visiting Burtha. Gus told me that his boys, Barley and Hopps will be done with college this spring and are planning on returning to the lake and  following  their dream of having their own brewery. With the clear cold water of the lake and some grant money, not to mention tapping into there student loans. They figure after the serious four years of beer tasting and micro beer making they have come up with a marketable beer tailored for the Lake. They just need to come up with a name.

Well sun is shinning and I am sure there is work to be done. All I need to do is go over to the table and check out the wife's Honey do list. Might just spend time in the wood shop and fiddle with some lures. With the sun shinning in there I might be comfortable for a few hours before it starts to cool off. Another cold one for tonight then some relief. With luck this will be the last of the bad weather for this winter. Dare I say cabin fever . Maybe just a twinge here. From Lake Iwanttobethere (1081)
Bobby Bass

Offline Duckslayer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
HiYa!  Well sometimes it is good to live out of the way!  At -5 out there I suppose anyone driving by the cabin tonight would think that I am off my rocker!  I fired up the Weber and made burgers on the grill!  Oh man, standing out there with the coals going and having a beer was great!  Some how it did not seem that cold out there either!  They sure were good!  It’s been way too long since I have done that!  I thought that it would have taken longer with the temp where it was but everything worked out well!  The Lil Mrs thought that they were pretty good as well.

Did notice this past weekend that there was a lot less demand for the “special” coffee that we were serving at the end of the luge run.  Seems that the folks that brought the kids out for the take a kid fishing event were more interested in the kids having a good time than they themselves having a good time.  I feel remiss that I did not mention this before because it goes to show the quality of folks that we have here at LakeIwannabethere.   I just thought that I should throw that out.  Lots of great folks here at the lake and more moving in all the time.

I sure hope that there will be another “pigeon shoot” here at the lake.  I think that the scores may have been higher with a pellet gun.  We could have had a squab supper!  It was fun sitting up there with McGurk and braggin ourselves up.  Truth be know neither one of us were that good of a shot with the Daisy Red Rider.  However, we decided that it was the guns fault though!  After all when you can watch the BB’s flight and see that it is not straight, well how you can expect it to be accurate?  It brought back fond memories of when I was a young lad trying to score my first kill with my own Red Rider.  Lots of blackbirds lived because of the trajectory of the BB leaving the Red Rider.  I guess that we were still stage 1 hunters then!  The shooting was the only reason that we were out there.  I have become a stage 5 hunter now.  I go because I love the outdoors, I respect the quarry, N Joy the company that I have there, I can talk to my dad/son/dog/the big guy upstairs or some one out there that I happen to meet.  Should I bring home some game that day well, that is just a bonus!  For those of you that are not familiar with it here are the five stages:

FIVE STAGES OF A HUNTER

Hunters change through the years. Factors used to determine "successful hunting" change as well for each hunter. A hunter's age, role models, and his years of hunting experience affect his ideas of "success."

Many hunters may fit into one of the following five groups. In 1975-1980, groups of over 1,000 hunters in Wisconsin were studied, surveyed, and written about by Professors Robert Jackson and Robert Norton, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. The results of their studies form a widely accepted theory of hunter behavior and development. Where are you now? Where would you like to be?

SHOOTER STAGE

The hunter talks about satisfaction with hunting being closely tied to being able to "get shooting." Often the beginning duck hunter will relate he had an excellent day if he got in a lot of shooting. The beginning deer hunter will talk about the number of shooting opportunities. Missing game means little to hunters in this phase. A beginning hunter wants to pull the trigger and test the capability of his firearm. A hunter in this stage may be a dangerous hunting partner.

LIMITING OUT STAGE

A hunter still talks about satisfaction gained from shooting. But what seems more important is measuring success through the killing of game and the number of birds or animals shot. Limiting out, or filling a tag, is the absolute measure. Do not let your desire to limit out be stronger than the need for safe behavior at all times.

TROPHY STAGE

Satisfaction is described in terms of selectivity of game. A duck hunter might take only greenheads. A deer hunter looks for one special deer. A hunter might travel far to find a real trophy animal. Shooting opportunity and skills become less important.

METHOD STAGE

This hunter has all the special equipment. Hunting has become one of the most important things in his life. Satisfaction comes from the method that enables the hunter to take game. Taking game is important, but second to how it is taken. This hunter will study long and hard how best to pick a blind site, lay out decoys, and call in waterfowl. A deer hunter will go one on one with a white-tailed deer, studying sign, tracking, and the life habits of the deer. Often, the hunter will handicap himself by hunting only with black powder firearms or bow and arrow. Bagging game, or limiting, still is understood as being a necessary part of the hunt during this phase.

SPORTSMAN STAGE

As a hunter ages and after many years of hunting, he "mellows out."  Satisfaction now can be found in the total hunting experience. Being in the field, enjoying the company of friends and family, and seeing nature outweigh the need for taking game.

Not all hunters go through all the stages, or go through them in that particular order. It is also possible for hunters who pursue several species of game to be in different stages with regard to each species. Some hunters feel that role models of good sportsmen, training, or reading books or magazines helped them pass more quickly through some stages.

Well, I suppose that I better get some work done.  Hope that you all are keeping safe and warm.  If you have to go out be careful out there… this cold can kill people.  Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Offline nytelyter

• Outdoorsman
welll i am gonna try to get you all up to date on the saturday game at the lodge. i will try to be more prompt in the future but i have been terribly busy at my job and have been spending every minute away from work in my fishhouse. work has had me filling alot of propane bottlesof late with the cold snap some for fishhouses and some for home heating. i am glad to have a shack closer to home but i really cant wait for my oppertunities to get back to lakeiwanttobethere. i am hopeing that with all of the cold that those monster sized holes have refrozen around my parking spot at the fishouse. and from the size of the holes and knowing the power that needed to carve thru that much ice. has to be made by some one with a distinct knowledge of the small engine and proper carburator tuning. so i have my culprits narrowed down to about two people. and all i have to say is "gentlemen, when you least expect it. expect it" retaliation will be sweet, and i will have the last laugh.

ok welll before the poker report one more question. whats up with the classical music of late at the lake. the violin i hear sounds kinda like one of those that was in the strings section during the recording of metallica's s&m album you know. the one they did with that orcestra from california.  one of my favorite listens i have blown more than one set of speakers listening to that one.

ok wel started out with three tables of eight on saturday and the cards were cut and delt first hands at 12:31. first off i want to thank all of those who showed up to play. we had a great time. there were a few players knocked out very early playing hands that should have been mucked but thats what aggressive play will get ya. personally i like to be more of an observber, until i get thru the first two blind raises. then i will start to employ my play technigue. it was about ninety munites into the game when we had our table of eight. and what a table of it was. hank, bobby, mcgurk,duck slayer,northern gal, elmer, the hottie that arrived with burtha, and by surprize tess. now when you get a husband and wife at the final table you need to be on your toes. so i did mind them carefully.

i sit down in the dealers seat and we draw for start. elmer gets the deal chip and we are off. the first final table in the lakeiwanttobethere holdem tourney. one by one players get eliminated. the first to out were ng and ds, i think they had food or some kind of poisening from turkey as i did hear them muttering something about turkey as they were tossing back shots. next out was hank followed by skinny. and then soon after elmer was gone. the hottie, tess, and bobby.  tess was next out and now we are at two. therer were a few more hands play and then it happens. the play goes like this. i dealt the first two cards. and bobby is first to act. the expression on his face is that of stone you could not buy a "tell" from him and he puts out a stack of 5000 chips. and resumes his pose. well the hottie has this "cat that just got the bird" look on her face. and she reraises the bet to 15,000 and with out any bobby instantly calls the bet like has caught her in his trap. time for the flop.  it comes ace of hearts, and jack ten of spades. i thought i almost thought i saw the corner of bobby's mouth turn up for an instant of a second. but i may have been mistaken. now he moves out a stack that matched at 23,000.  and hottie again reraised o 40.k and bobby calls againthe turn brings a 9 of spades, and i thought hottie was gonna come out of her chair. this worries bobby a bit and he checks to hottie. and she follows suit and checks also to the river. the river card comes an ace of spades, bobby sees a flush possibuility hit the board but gives a feel good bet of 25k. and hottie says "all in"  and with gusto bobby calls her. bobby rolls over the two remaining aces for quad aces. and hottie just smiles at him as she reveals her two down cards the king and queen of spades for a royal flush in spades. the crowd went wild as she pulls all of the chips to her side and reaches at bobby with open hand as she says nice game to bobby. wow what a finish to poker day. i dont ever think we will se that again. but i do look forward to this saturday again as we get another game going. i need to go rumble thru some old pyro boxes i think i remember haveing a some speciality product left over from a mega shoot we did a few years back. they were quite harmless unless you used them in the wrong way. and i seem to remember what the wrong way was. heheheheeh. ... paul
Born to fish Forced to work

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
HiYa from the lake !  A bright spot in the cloud cover over head and the thermometer is actually showing double digits  above zero for the first time in a few days. Wind has died down to just a occasional breeze around the knees. Can stand outside with out having to pull the collar up around your neck and just wearing gloves and not sticking your hands in your coat pockets is enough. Stocking cap is left in the cabin and the fishing hat returns to it's rightful place.  Dogs are out of the cabin and are exploring. They are behind in marking their territory the past few days only coming out to do there business and then a straight line back to the cabin. Today they reclaimed every tree, brush and building corner on the lot. Made the walk down to the drive out to the mailbox. Just the sound of frozen snow crunching under foot. Bud made the walk with me, Barney had already return to the cabin to take on another load of water to be processed into boundary marking fluid. Bud working the road from side to side was making sure he had not missed anything while he had been inside. From under the low branches of a pine tree a rabbit tried to keep the tree between Bud and me while making his escape. But we both saw the motion and Bud took off giving chase.

Was not much of  a contest as the rabbit with the moves of a running back made quick work of zigzagging through the growth to escape. Looking like a Jag running on top of the snow as Bud followed looking more  like a Mack truck. Bud content that he had a reason to run came back across the crusty snow to the road and did that little bouncing on his front legs that labs tend to do. I gave him the same look he gives me when I miss shooting a grouse. A bump of his head against my leg and a pat on his rump from me and we continue on our way to the mail box. Nothing special in the mail box, just bills. If I knew that I would not have made the walk to get them. I take a moment looking over envelopes before stuffing them in my coat pocket. Before turning to make the walk back to the cabin I give the road a look. First to the north then southwards. There walking down the center of the road a couple of deer stand looking over there shoulders at me. Well more likely looking at Bud. Bud looks that way but the wind is wrong and the deer get nothing more then a passing glance before Bud turns and starts working the road back to the cabin. He starts hunting it like it was a new road and not one he had just been down a few minutes ago.

I turn to follow and taking my time watch as Bud works from bank to bank. I have spent countless hours walking behind Bud as over the years we have been on many a trail hunting grouse. For awhile there we just took long walks together as there were not to many birds to be found . The last few years have been better and Bud being in his prime spends a lot of time walking in front of me or Elmer or Chuck who all come over to ask if Bud can come out and play. Bud pauses briefly where the rabbit was under the pine and then continues. His heavy muscles ripple under his thick brown winter coat. The bright red collar hanging around his neck and his id tags clinking against each other. No birds, no more rabbits a few old tracks and you can see where the deer have passed through during the long cold nights. In there single file there trail weaves through the trees heading in the direction of Elmers gardens. Coming around the bend in the drive I see it just a second or so before Bud does. A lone grouse from out of no where,  neck stretched out looking at us. Bud locks in the rear legs and tearing and scratching at the frozen roadway launches himself in the direction of the grouse. The grouse takes to wing but in a some what  of a rare means of escape it flies down the drive directly at Bud. Like a medieval joust the two close the distance between them. With a leap forward Bud tries to fly skyward at the grouse. I might have seen a feather from the grouse fall before Bud crashed back on the roadway. The grouse continues down the drive with me now in it's way. We lock eyes and it flares and does an abrupt turn to my right and then like the rabbit zigzags through the pines to be lost from sight. Bud returns to my side and gives me the look that I get when I miss a grouse. I hold my arms out at my side and say  "What" I swear he shakes his head at me and then turns heading back towards the cabin. I find myself talking to him explaining why the bird got away. " It's not hunting season. I don't even have a gun with me."  Bud now ignoring me continues to the cabin. Elmer standing on his porch with a cup of steaming coffee in hand catches my eye. Like Bud he gives me that same look. " What" I say... From Lake Iwanttobethere (1123)
Bobby Bass

Offline McGurk

• Outdoorsman
Haven't been able to get thoughts to paper lately, and there's been all kinds of stuff going on by the looks of it.  Yes, I participated in the Pigeon Shoot (unless you're with PETA, in which then I organized it), and the Poker Game.  The shoot went OK, but as was stated those Daisy's do tend to pull a bit.  Give me my old Red Ryder BB gun with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time...  DS was a good shot, though, and carried the weight of our team.  But man; can that Tim shoot!  I'd have never thought a guy could wing 2 birds with 2 shots from a 4" barreled pistol.  I may have to get a few pointers from him, and offer to take him shooting sometime. 

I had to do a little digging, but found that big grey hooded sweatshirt and aviator sunglasses that I like to pull out for games.  The Unibomber ain't got nothin' on me.  As soon as I get into a good pot, I get that hood up and pull those cinch strings down so there's about a 3 1/2" hole that I can see out of, wearing the mirrored lenses.  I've got no tells what so ever.  I'll do the whole hoodie song and dance more often than not to keep the rest of the table on their toes.  Unfortunately, the ladies chose to wear less when I chose to wear more, and I was easily duped out of my stack.  On to next week...

I made a run up to the Mill to drop off a sixer of Hamms for Hunter, and to get the lay of the land in there.  I have never been in there, and might not go back anytime soon.  That dude's a little creepy.  Good guy, though.  He's got big plans for that place, and isn't afraid to tell you about them.

I am choosing to stay clear of Burtha's palce.  That Butt family is out there.  I haven's seen so much makeup on a woman's face since my last trip to Vegas.  Not the cool and trendy strip, not the fun and affordable downtown, but the back alley seedy part of town.  The rough part of town makes you appreciate what you've got; two complete and working kneecaps.

That pink fishhouse is an eyesore.  I may have to bank up a couple of sides and hide a little of that obnoxious color next time out.  Good to see the Johnson Bros van got off the lake OK, and the hollowed out white shell where they were still has 3 sides standing and most of the roof intact.  I'm looking forward to a little of their brew, as I'm getting a little tired of the 3 varieties of New Belgium Brewery's finest beers that are available here.  Soon, soon the rest of the lineup will be here in Minnesota.  There will be much cheering from me, that is for sure.

Speaking of motors and beers and such, can I just strap a couple of trailing arms with wheels and a seat on the my blower and enter that in the rider race?  The chains do just fine out there, and I already have to run to keep up with it in it's 2nd forward speed (out of 6).  I'll even wear a helmet if it helps.  By the way; Nytelyter seems to have alluded that I was behind the hole drilling around his house.  Well, I am pulling my hoodie up and cinching it tight and saying "I did not do it."
Good Luck! McGurk

"I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!"

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
HiYa from the Lodge. Well as you have seen I finished 2nd  in the first week of the Lodges poker challenge. I think it is on a point system so at least I have some points to my credit. Who would have thunk that the little piece of eye candy could play cards. Of course now  days later I hear she has spent a lot of time working in Vegas. I'll be ready the next go around.  Barney, Burtha's husband has moved out of the Lodges basement. He loaded his wooden boxes on to a toboggan and was last seen pulling it through the field behind the Lodge heading towards the snowmobile trail. He had mentioned that seeing Sheriff Tim around the Lodge so much, even if Tim is a cousin to his wife, was a little unsettling. I think he was heading back home.

Hammering Hank and Skinny were back in the hallway of the Lodge talking in hush tones as they stood talking in front of the wall map of the lake. Fingers pointed at Mystery Creek. I stood behind them and overheard the word gold being mentioned several times. Masking a muffled cough behind them they turned to face me. " Bobby" they both said at the same time. " So, Mystery Creek,  gold,  fill me in" I whispered. Looking to see that no one else was within ear shot Hank told me that his great grandpa's wrote of panning for gold nuggets in Mystery Creek in his diary. With gold now at 900.00 an ounce that he and Skinny were going to be there when the ice went out this spring. "What about the Smelt Run" I asked. Skinny and Hank looked at each and just shrugged their shoulders. " We are more worried about that hook guy in the mill along the shore of the creek" said Hank. Skinny added " Now the Johnson brothers are talking about a brewery and they will need water, the other bank of the creek is a prime spot"   I nodded. " What to do what to do"  I left them to there scheming, Ice out is still months away.

I was going to go down to the shanty for some late fishing action. Seems that right before dusk the bite has been on and the perch are there for the taking. A few walleyes also seem to find there way out of my holes to the skillet and the waiting hot oil.. I was at the Masterbaiters shop eyeballing some top waters lures and thinking happy thoughts of warm summer mornings when I heard the bell on the front door ringing I thought it was broke or the door  left open. I looked around the display of plastic worms to watch as Burtha and her clan were just done coming through the door. Wearing colors that made them look like expired hostess twinkles and  Halloween snowballs they came in and headed towards the minnow tanks. Vicki behind the counter looked like a cornered cat as something made her uneasy with the ladies. Following at the rear the eye candy from the poker game peeked out from behind her aunt. Spotting me she gave me a wink and a little Queen of England wave of her hand. As Burtha walked past the display of jigs the hair of her coat snagged several lures and as she swayed by. Her rolling gait rearranged several displays on other side of the wide aisle. Vicki dipped minnows for them and air packed them in a double plastic bag. Picking the lures off her sides Burtha made some small talk as the rest of her clan filled a plastic tote with chips and dip from the rack. A box of candy bars also found there way to the tote. With a wave of her hand the group headed back out the door and Vicki added the purchase to Burtha's tab that she started running the other day when Burtha came in and bought her fishing gear. Eye Candy was the last to leave the shop and she did so with out closing the door behind her. I closed it and both Vicki and I just shrugged. The sound of the doors jingle bell still ringing in the air.
Bobby Bass

Offline Duckslayer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
HiYa one and all!  Quite a change in the weather eh!  Outside grillin in -5 weather one night and all the way up to 14 the next day!  Almost broke out the shorts this afternoon.  I often ponder as to why folks complain about 50 degrees in the fall and then in the spring you see those same folks out runiing around in shorts when it is 45 and talking about how nice it is.  I guess it is all accordin to what you are used to.

I am going to have to get my act together if I want to garner any points at the poker playing this week.  I am going to have to try and concentrate more on the cards!  Part of the issue was to many Turkeys, part of the issue was purdy ladies at the table and part of the issue was areola’s that were just barely and I mean JUST BARELY covered.  They always seem to draw a man’s attention to them.  I will have to work on keeping in the game this week.  Getting to sit next to NG and across from the Lil Hottie was a good thing if all I would have had to do was have a few brews and BS but there were cards to be played and I blew it!  Will not let that happen again!  [Thinking to myself, Yeah Right!]

Hunter, what times that truck gonna show up?  I have some maintenance that I have to do at the Legion in the morning.  Some of that fun plumbing stuff!  Should be clear by noon or so, provided I get an early enough start.  Let me know!

Got some bad news from back home today.  One of my buddies father passed away last night.  Much like my dad he was well respected around town and he will be missed.  If ya have a chance could ya say a good word to the big guy for him?  I will miss him coming onto the Legion and havin a soda and then we would always have to call and get him a ride home.  He was 88 ½ years old.  The blessing of the whole deal is that he did not have to suffer long term before going home.

Give all your loved ones an extra hug tonight because you just never know.  Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Silent Sunday and other things about Iwanttobethere. Since you have been reading this for awhile or perhaps just stumbled across our little town here, you should have heard the term Silent Sunday. Well silent Sunday is just that. It is meant to be a quiet day with no spoken word. When the town was first settled back in the 1800's it was a logging town and as the woods were cleared the farmers moved into the fertile land around the lake. Of course they had to work sunrise to sunset six days a week.. A Minster who had made the trip from back East found a ripe little town waiting to be saved.

Well the farmers wife's also worked six days a week or to hear great great grand ma say it "everyday" of the week. The building of a church by the new towns minister and the services that were held there every Sunday were a way for the ladies to get together and socialize. The menfolk could chat in their fields with the next farmer over or when they made a trip into town for supplies. It did not take much of a reason to stop at the Lodge and taste a cold beer and exchange farming wisdom.

During a sermon held in the white church on the bank of the lake the Minster preached that we should make Sunday a silent day out of respect.. The men embraced it and the ladies thought twice about this Minster from back East. Working in the fields for six days and then having to come home and listen to the wife and kids, a day of silence sounded like a good idea to the men.

The idea became an option. The Minster thought twice about it as now the menfolk sat in his pews and said nothing. Church events would find the ladies in groups chatting about what ever they chat about, kids chasing kids and dogs barking. The men would gather under the shade of a big willow on the bank of the lake. As someone came to sit on one of the many benches there they would be greeted with Hiya. Sitting and watching perhaps with  a blade of grass between there lips and a jug at there side. Life was good, at least one day out of the week.

Fast forward to today. Talk talk talk, pretty hard to get away from it. Even sitting out in the row boat fishing someone is always trying to get a hold of you on the cell phone. With computers we can just take an e-mail when ever we want to. Nice thing about e-mail is you can answer it in your shorts at four in the morning. A big plus if you are a farmer. Then they started texting. Now if you don't answer  your phone they text you.

So we have Silent Sunday, we make every effort not to talk to others from the town. Hiya covers it all when passing in the street or bumping boats on the lake. You may have noticed that most town events are held on Saturdays. Some may carry over to Sunday but most times that is just clean up and break downs and you don't need much more then HiYa.

Reinforcing Silent Sunday is the town's law about chain saws and lawnmowers running during the summer on weekends. Don't do no good enjoying a quiet day if you can hear someone else working. Just makes you think about working. Of course another good reason for silent Sunday is it is good to rest your voice after yelling at Cows, Dogs and Kin all week. From Lake Iwanttobethere, Hiya (1161)
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
HiYa from the Lake, 2nd round of the poker game at the Lodge today. Might be a little different outcome as with one round under our belt buckles the jitters should be gone. I know that I have added an extra tack in my boot. Got to remember to push down on that so I don't give away my good hands. Was o so close last week to winning, but we will see if the Eye Candy can come through a second time. I have my mirror glasses polished and have my doctored bottle of water all ready to go. Also a special cigar that I had hand wrapped just for today. :happy1:

Weather has warmed to the mid 30's. Should be  a good turn out at the Lodge tomorrow for our Super bowl party. Looking forward to a fast track for the tractor races on the ice and McGurk is still trying to enter his snow blower. If he gets a seat on it that would be an interesting ride. With the warming fishing has picked up in the past few evenings. Lot more people out on the ice and you can hear the buzz of sleds making the runs from cabins to ice houses and back to cabins. Earl at the general store has gotten in a load of Valentines candy. He keeps them on the rack inside the store. Last year he had them on the outside rack and even though it was cold enough outside the afternoon sunshine made a mess of the chocolate inside the boxes. He had to sell them at a discount and you know how Earl is about discounts.

Should be  a good feed at the party, will be the usual chili and Coney's. Lots of home salsa to be tested and also the Johnson brothers are in town and will be giving away free samples of their beer that they have been brewing at college. Right now they have three batches. They call them NeedaBeer and WannaBeer and also they are making a WhynotAle. They even have all three in a lite version. 11 oz instead of 12 oz bottles. Free samples till they run out and they are only asking for a fair taste test in return. :tequila;

Well heading out for the afternoon bite here, has been starting a little earlier each night and lasting a little longer to. From Lake Iwanttobethere
Bobby Bass

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
HiYa from the Lake
Well its been a busy few days here. With Burtha now finally catching Barney.. not the dog... by his ear no less, sneaking outback of the lodge.. You should have seem Barney .. not the dog run... and the funnest sight was Burtha running behind him, not gaining any ground, they only reason why she caught him, is because he slipped on the ice and down he went, and pretty much Big Burtha sliding to a halt on top of him..

Big Burtha's Mother, found a place in town to live, along with Burtha twin sister Burtice, Burt for short..

Brandi, is really a nice girl with down home values, so much not like the rest of her family. I know she was a dancer, but i thought like on the stage  or at a icecapades or something, but she worked at a bar, called The Golden Mushroom.. and to my surprise she was them kind of dancers, ya know the one.. with the poles and all.. But its ok, i cant blame her, i mean look at that bod she has... All the men are drooling here at the lake.

I am sitting with Brandi and hopefully Ducky at the tables tonight, so i hope i can stay in more then a few mins this time around, the one who said beginners luck, doesn't know what hes talking about. I didn't win...

Well it looks like we wont be seeing old Barney.. not the dog... for awhile, when i dropped off the money bag at Burtha's tonight, old Barney .. not the dog.. was at the kitchen table now with pink hair.. So i am sure he doesn't want others to see him now..

Well i need to go the weather here is great, and i am going to do some ice fishing, in the hot bright pink shanty. seems that ti catches the fish, maybe its the color? who knows..

Well time to catch supper and them to get all dressed up for cards at the lodge.. So wish me luck

from me to you from Lake Iwanttobethere
Put another log on the fire

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
Well i just got back from the photo mat, and i got a few pictures i want to share with you..

Now if you got a weak stomach then turn away now, do not look...

the first one is Big Burtha dont she look like that one from the Drew something show?

2nd is her twin Burt.. identical twins

3rd is Barney ...not the dog, with his new pink hair since Burtha got awhole of him.. or should i say fell on him?

4th is Burtha's mother Flo.. doesn't she look a lot like Flo from Mel's Dinner

and Brandi at my house before the poker game at the lodge..

Forum maintenance

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
HiYa from the Lodge here at Lake Iwanttobethere. Well ice races have been done for about an hour now and everyone has gotten their tractors back on there trailers. Pretty good crowd here in the Lodge as we get ready to watch the Super Bowl. A nice day out and sun is streaming in through the Lodge windows. We do have a roaring fire going in the fireplace as several members are standing close trying to dry wet pants and bottoms. Fast track as most of the snow was removed in the oval. We had several classes and with the nice weather we ran heats to determine the final groupings. New this year we  had a few sides bets going and a few ice drag races were held. Since I had already let the air out  of the inside left tire on my MTD a drag race which meant going straight was out of the question for me. It was however right up Dug's nitrous powered tractor alley so to speak. He won his first drag but the ropes to his parachute shredded when it was deployed. This left him far out on the ice and he did not make it back for his second round and was dq'd McGurk snow blower rig was allowed to race in the oval after he welded a metal lawn chair to the back of it. He to was dq'd when he engaged his auger and threw snow across his fellow racers As part of his penalty he had to snow blow the entire track

I made it through the first round but the second round found me in trouble. A crack had formed in the race track and my left tire and rim found it. The crack took me through hay bales and out of the oval. I to was dq'd  It took me a while to get back off the ice and load the tractor back on to it's trailer. Looking for a good parking spot I just went ahead and parked in the Lodge parking lot pointed in the direction of home. After the game I will have a clear shot of leaving ahead of everyone else. I am also ahead of everyone in doing some of the taste testing of the Johnson Brothers new lake Brew. The Needabeer was tasty and I had a hard time picking between that one and the Wannabeer. Right now I have a cold WhynotAle in hand and this to is going down easy. On behalf of the Lodge we may have to talk with the boys about some kegs for the Lodge. The old Johnson Brewery is still in the familles name up there on Mystery Creek.  I am told that in a matter of a few weeks they could be putting out the beer and the ale would follow after it aged for a few days.

Well the Lodges TV's are on and we have a few extra ones to. Don't have to turn your head to far to catch a screen. The Lodge's phone has been unplugged so there will be no distractions. At four thirty we will do the monthly test of the Towns fire siren which is on the roof of the Lodge so we will get our test out of the way and let everyone know that the game will be starting. Already you can see doors closing on shanties down on the lake as a lot of fishermen will fish and watch the game at the same time. I know the wife was meeting with a bunch of other gals and going out for a shopping trip in the big city this afternoon and maybe catch a movie. Well Gus needs some help here as he has both deep fryers going and the first batch of  hot wings are ready to come out.. See ya after the game. From Lake Iwanttobethere (1210)
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
HiYa from the Lodge, spent most of the day cleaning up the Lodge after the Super Bowl party and what ended up being a sleep over. Seems that the Ale the Johnson brothers had brought to the Lodge lacked in quality control. From passed experience with beer and Ale since a very young age I would say that the beverage in question has a proof level that should be multiplied. On a personal note I don't think they should touch the recipe at all! Anyway I found d myself on the couch in the office this morning with several couches and chairs still being occupied. After lunch at noon we then started to remove and recycle bottle for a further taste test when the Johnson's can rebottle them. Popcorn machine working over time this weekend so that had to be taken apart and soaked. That took at least three Hamms to wait for the suds to die down and then another Hamms for the rinse.

After a brief nap the popcorn machine was put back together and we worked on washing ashtrays and sending tablecloths back to storage. Not many came through the door after that, Think they are all home or out on the ice fishing. Evening perch bite is still going on. Well just a short note here to let you know we are open for business. From Lake Iwanttobethere (1230)
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
HiYa from the Lake. A little dusting of snow overnight. Just enough to make it look like everything was coated in a layer of powered sugar. Sweet till the sun comes out and melts it, revealing the dirty snow beneath. Good tracking snow except there is not much to trail this time of year. You can make the walk down to get the mail and see where a rabbit crossed the drive and the dragging hoof prints of  a few deer. Crows feet around the garbage can and  set of wandering dog prints along the shoulder of the road. Sun is trying hard to make it through the thinning cloud cover. You can look straight at it for a few seconds before you have to turn away.

Short line at the car wash as I went by so I pulled in and dug up some quarters from between the seats. A few others were standing around killing time waiting for there turn. We talked off fishing of course and the doings of town. Took some ribbing for my driving on Sunday in the tractor races. Not much said about the football game other then it was the end to the season. Pro bowl still to be played but no one really watches that. Local high school sports are heading towards playoffs and a few proud grand parents will keep the rest of us up to date on their progress.

Ran the truck through the car wash and got some of the grime off and now can see out all of the windows all the way around. Not a great job but still to cold to be out with a bucket and rag. Pulled out in the back and let the sun that was peeking in and out of the clouds a chance at drying it.  Already  a few guys hanging on to the sides of a truck chatting away. The kind of scene you would find at a local boat landing where the fishing was poor and guys are trying to decide whether they want to launch or not.  I found a cigar in the glove box and put some flame to it. I had no real place that I had to be.  No sooner did I wander over to the gathering at the truck then the sun came out completely of the clouds. With no wind it got real nice out in just a few seconds. So we leaned against the box of the truck and we chatted. We talked of oil changes due and the lack of fresh snow. Of the evening perch bite and how much truth was in Nytelyters 15 pound Walleye. The Pink shanty and Burtha's relatives in town. Barney, not the dog and how we don't know what he sees in that women.

The Old Mill is starting to shape up, seems every time I go by a few more windows have glass in them. Although the population of pigeons around the Lodge has grown  the past few weeks. Hank was out yesterday trying to put a scope on one of the old bb rifles. The rife was pointed at 12 o'clock and the scope on top was facing about one. Guess you really have to " bend" a bb around to come anywhere close to hitting the pop can they were using to sight in on. Might be a reason for the poor shooting at the Pigeon shoot-out. The beer that  the Johnson brothers brought to the Lodge has gotten some good comments. Just have to get that quality control issued under control. Of course there being a group of  us guys standing there at least a few of us considered ourselves experts in the art of drinking beer. Some of us have even tried our hand at making our own. The conversation drifted in and out about beer and how the price had gone down compare to what we were paying for it when we were teenagers. Seems a case of Hamms was like thirty bucks or so if you had your older brother buy it for you, Sometimes even more if you had a stranger buy it for you out back of the liquor store. A lot of times  they even would take a few bottles from the case cuz you were short.

Hard liquor, well no one could afford that. Might have been a better deal for your money though. As it seems one little pint bottle and a few fat cigars could get six guys a buzz. Still don't know if it was good stuff or if it was the cigars. Took me  along time to figure you weren't suppose to snort it back out your nose or fill your belly with smoke. Well another truck needed a spot to dry off so I made my good-byes and headed toward the Lodge. Clean windows right up till the logging truck ht the pothole and splashed me. From Lake Iwanttobethere (1240)
Bobby Bass

Offline Duckslayer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
HiYa!  WOW!  What a party!  Them Johnson boys make a mean beer!  Tastes to good going down but holy cow!  Kind of reminded me of when I was in Korea!  [Thinking back…They kept saying watch out for the Oscar when you get to Korea it will kick your butt.  Well it was a pop wine how tough can that be?  Well me and a buddy found out!  I was pretty tipsy when I got up from the table to go use the facilities.  The facilities let me tell you about it…  A concrete block sort of building that was very dimly lit on the inside, in fact there was no light on the inside only the light of the moon coming through the windows.  There I was strolling in there like I knew what I was going and suddenly there was nothing but air under my next step.  In just the nick of time I was able to back-step!  Let me tell ya, I am dang glad that we had not had 4 bottles only three and that I still had some reflexes left!  In the middle of the room was a gaping hole!  That is where ya did your business at and I dang near fell into it!  I sobered up in one heck of a hurry at that point!  From there it runs out into the ‘binjo” ditches.  Yeah, open ditches with sewage in them!  Nice huh?  Makes you appreciate the things that one has here in the good ole US of A!]

Anyway getting back to the present I woke up Monday morning and to my surprise I was still at the lodge.  Seems that myself and another had fallen asleep on the futon.  Was a warm and comfy feeling being there and I probably should not have been there but we both still had all our clothes on so as they say no harm no foul….  I knew that I needed to get up and get moving, mainly to p.  As I made my way through the lodge I saw Bobby putting the popcorn machine back together.  He said “Well good morning blister” and in my hazy brain all I could manage was a “Huh”?  He said “well, ya show up after the work is all done”!  I mumbled “sorry man” and made my way to the facilities. 

Went back out and had a cuppa coffee with a hearty shot of Baileys in it.  Was feeling pretty good after that so I went and helped finish up the ashtrays and putting them out with Bobby.  He was in a better mood then!  We gathered up all the empty bottles in hopes that they would soon be filled again so that we could do some more taste testing.  Can’t decide if needabeer or wannabeer is the better of the two.  I never got to sample the whynotale before it was all gone.  I think that was Bobby’s favorite, I seen him sippin on that quite a bit Sunday. Any way I guess the best part of the game was the last 10 minutes or so and I missed, well at least I do not remember, that part of the game.  Go figure!  I did win a “one buck” from my brother though!  Yee haa will take that and buy a soda or something!

Time to get some work done so that I can go out and see if I can partake in some of that evening bite tonight.  From the cabin here at Lakeiwannabethere you all take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
HiYa from the Lodge. With the sun shinning on the back of my neck through the window of the old Dodge I made it to the Lodge. Getting out I looked at what was a clean truck before the logging truck gave me a rinse job. O well... I made my way into the Lodge and after a few Hiya's were passed around I checked my telephone messages and slipped on an apron. I was washing beer mugs and giving that hand drying job that customers so like to see. Was putting them in the freezer under the bar so we get that nice frosted mug look. Not much call for the frosted mug in the winter but very common come summer time. As I was wiping down mugs the new feller who owns the Old Mill came in. Right off I notice a bulge under his arm and was watching him as I moved down the bar towards him.  "HiYa" I said. "HiYa" he answered.  "Can I get a Hamms and a couple of your pickled eggs. "he added.  I poured a Hamms and with a well practiced movement slid it down the bar to stop before him. Using the tongs I plucked two eggs from the jar and dropped them into a plastic bowl and carried them down to sit next to the beer. Some small talk about fishing and the weather and then as I was going to go back to my mugs he  reached inside his coat and lays a small wood box on the bar top.  Removing the top of the box he nudge it in my direction. There inside resting on some thin cedar wrap was a little piece of heaven.  Cuban cigars, they have been banned  since the Cuban embargo in 1962.  In front of me lay  several Hoyo De Monterrey - Doble Corona.  A rich tasting cigar with a strong, earthy spiciness. They have a complex earthy, woody character with trickles of pepper and cinnamon. An excellent aroma, a smooth draw and I can hear the husky voice of Maria whispering  in my ear as she lights one for me. Her memory triggered by the cigars in the box in front of me.

Not having to be offered twice I remove one from the box and from the behind the bar produced a cutter. I clipped off the end and watched as my new friend clips off his.  I placed the clippings in an ashtray to be smoked in a pipe later. Lighting  a candle I slowly rolled the end of the cigar over the open flame before taking an even pull on the end. I am rewarded with a rich smell of Cuban leaf and after holding it for a moment release a perfect ring to float towards the Lodge ceiling. Placing the cigar down on the bar I turned and searching through the shelves I find a dusty bottle of Armagnac. Two snifters are  filled a third of the way  and I retrieved my cigar. With cigar in one hand and sniffer in the other I lean up against the back bar. The cigar bring back memories of an old flame and youth long forgotten. I am brought back by the sound of  Hunter with his wallet in hand asking what he owes.  "Your money is no good here tonight" I tell him. I offered him some more Armagnac but he prefers the Hamms. From Lake Iwanttobethere
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
HiYa from the basement of the Lodge, Hiding out in the wood room here working on some new top water lures for the upcoming fishing season. Spent some time at the Town Hall helping out with taxes. We did get some forms in and we had a free tax help day. Mine are all done and I am hoping to allocate some dollars towards my new seats for the Puddle Humper. Just hoping nothing breaks around the cabin before the money shows up. As you can tell we are starting to feel the slight pull of cabin fever around here. Few more people are spending a little more time in the aisles at the Masterbaiters shop. Looking at long rods and of course the wall of spoons that in the late afternoon light always seems to catch just right. Easy enough to lose track of time with the lures being moved by the draft from the heater and the background noise of the minnow tanks.

Rods are taken in hand and shook, tips are tested and blanks are bent. The two clearance bins are looked through. Maybe just maybe you can find a use for that 1/4 grasshopper imitation crank bait. You pick up a box of hooks so you don't feel like you wasted anytime just browsing. Blaze orange hunting gear is 50% off but nothing but smalls and 3 xls left.  Paying Vicki for the hooks you head out the door, Thinking to yourself that you were just there a few days ago.

Next stop takes you to the Hobby shop, You go through the door and head straight back to the cabinet that holds the balsa by the rear exit. Picking up a few blocks of  wood you stop to admire the model planes hanging from the ceiling. You pass shelves of train cars and a glass display case of engines. Other customers are in the store, but no one under forty. You pay cash for the blocks of wood, the old cash register opens to show just a few bills and some coins. The credit card bin is full of paper, guess the Visa gets a good work out here. Have to remember to tell the wife she is so lucky that you fish and don't have any model trains.

A few more stops and the sun is already setting, You wonder how long you spent in the bait and the hobby shops. No matter what, it was time well spent and we are closer by a day to fishing season. From Lake Iwanttobethere (1277)
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
HiYa from the ice house here at the Lodge. Our last day of the "Ice Harvest" as we are putting up ice for the town and the Lodge. Lodge members have been busy the past few days and it is my turn to serve my time in the ice house stacking blocks as they are delivered from the lake. Two days ago in a small bay just down from the access the snow was scraped away and still using an old ice plow the surface of the lake was divided with groves. We then used long bar chain saws to divide the surface into blocks and then going back to the old ways took out single handled ice saws and pikes cut the lake ice into blocks 18 x 18  This year the blocks are about 14 inches thick. They weigh right around 70#'s and are as clear as gin. Using big ice tongs there are pulled from the lake and loaded up on to McDonnell's ice sleigh. While everyone takes a break on the ice McDonnell's puts his mules in motion and they take the trail up to the ice house. Once they get here they are off loaded and the ice blocks riding wood planks are taken inside the house. Here we stack them floor to ceiling spreading fresh sawdust from the lumber mill between layers so they don't all freeze into one big cube.

My job today is to pack as many blocks as we can and also allow room to pull out blocks for events later in the year. After having the back half of the house filled we will add some bigger blocks for the 4th of July ice sculptures and some more off to the side that we sell for wedding carvings and special events. The weather is just right, at twenty or so and cloudy, warm enough to work in but not to warm to melt ice. We work in a relaxed pace as we are almost done. Usually it can be done in a day but last year with all the hot weather and lack of rainfall we actually were down to just a few blocks. That and Dan's dog Grace who has a hankering for ice did put a dent into our reserves. Yesterday Dan was here as was Grace and they hauled up some of there own ice. I think Grace was thinking she was in heaven every time she dragged a block into the house. We placed a cardboard sign with her name on it over a pile that will be hers.

A keg of Hamms with tap is on top of a shelf of ice. Beers are poured as needed to replace lost fluids. This is a workout for us older guys as we are used to handling ice cubes not ice blocks. Well all that needs to be done is orange barrels placed around the open sections of the bay and signs put out. A few of the younger guys, Dug and the Johnson brothers have there snowmobiles down on the shoreline and as soon as we are done they will be skipping there sleds across the open water. Kids... I would try it but I think I have to much weight in the rear to keep the sled level. Better to stand on shore and place bets. Well another load coming in so I better get back to shoveling sawdust, from Lake Iwanttobethere (1287)
Bobby Bass