Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 1st coyote (trapping that is)  (Read 14030 times)

Offline jkcmj

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I got my 1st coyote today.  He was not in there when I checked about 8am, but when I went by this afternoon about 3pm alas!  A coyote!  I started out trying to trap one 2 weeks ago today.  32lb male.

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
is it just me that can not see pics or can anyone else see them??

hey congrats on the first yote.. they can be very hard to trap..what did you use?? lure/bait?? trap? 
« Last Edit: January 01/26/08, 09:05:12 PM by Super Star! »

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
I see the pic just fine.
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Congrats on the yote jkcmj!

I can see the picture too.
« Last Edit: January 01/26/08, 09:31:40 PM by Outdoors_junkie »
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
i can see the pic now hmm???did he give you one of these

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
wait till you get one that looks like this....

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
    • The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club and Straight River Archery Club

Congrats on your first coyote jkcmj!  :happy1:
The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club-Board Member
Straight River Archery Club-Board Member
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
hey ss your gonna have to show me how to trap one of them , thats a beautiful black one ... :happy1:

Offline jkcmj

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I used coyote urine on the base of a tree they had been using as a scent post.  He didn't snarl at all, but did give me 5 or 6 dog like short barks as I got near him.  Pretty cool.  I dropped him off for tanning tonight.  gotta save that 1st one for a wall hanger!

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
looks like they were passing by the tree.. you can kinda see there trail unless thats other tracks. did you remake the set? .. did he have any rub marks? if the trail looks to be used well if you know how set a snare on it.  and if you want a really fun time with coyotes.. use a drag instead of a stake. LOL (been on some wild goose chases tryin to find yotes)   

for sure gotta put him on the wall...... if you get more post some pics

also if you did remake the set dont be mad if you do not get another one out of it. some yotes get  circle shy. and i was told that other animals can smell the fear in the pee left from the other animal that was in your trap.... and some will just plain not come in if there is blood there.. just some tips   peace ss
« Last Edit: January 01/27/08, 01:45:41 AM by Super Star! »

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
I got my 1st coyote today.  He was not in there when I checked about 8am, but when I went by this afternoon about 3pm alas!  A coyote!  I started out trying to trap one 2 weeks ago today.  32lb male.

nice  :happy1:

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice job.

It's been awhile but I can still remember the feeling I had when I approached my first catch. It's something you will never forget. Sometimes when I really relax and start to daydream I can actually smell the air that brisk morning.

Like SS asked was there any rubbing on the fur? Gettin to be that time of yr when it'll start showing up.

I'm glad to hear your getting it tanned. I wished I would have saved all of my firsts and had them tanned as you will never have another 1st.

I was wondering what kind of trap you got it in? Have you been at the trapping game for awhile?
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline jkcmj

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
No rubs on mine at all.  Guard hairs were pretty short though.  I did see that one he had in the shop to skin had the whole neck area rubbed pretty good, he said that one was getting tanned and would have no value for a pelt.  I have trapped some raccoon in the past but never tried coyote before.  I used a #3 coil spring.

Offline oober ponage

• Outdoorsman

Offline jkcmj

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
looks like they were passing by the tree.. you can kinda see there trail unless thats other tracks. did you remake the set? .. did he have any rub marks? if the trail looks to be used well if you know how set a snare on it.  and if you want a really fun time with coyotes.. use a drag instead of a stake. LOL (been on some wild goose chases tryin to find yotes)   

for sure gotta put him on the wall...... if you get more post some pics

also if you did remake the set dont be mad if you do not get another one out of it. some yotes get  circle shy. and i was told that other animals can smell the fear in the pee left from the other animal that was in your trap.... and some will just plain not come in if there is blood there.. just some tips   peace ss

I had a very large tracked coyote circle both of my sets two days ago.  He walked way wide about 7ft out from both sets.  These were both locations where they had regularly scent posted previously.

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
bet he smelled the trap or something was not right to him??

or your pee is old. how do you prep your traps? do you remove all human foot prints around the trap? i could be 100 differnt things. some times what i will do is make a scent post and not bed a trap there. then they get used to hitting it and when you do put your trap there you are almost  100% the first check.
« Last Edit: February 02/03/08, 02:11:13 PM by Super Star! »

Offline jkcmj

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
This morning it appeared as though multiple coyotes approached both sets and stepped near the traps, but not on them.  They pissed on both tree and stump again, so hopefully I'll get one tommorow morning now that they decided the posts are safe piss stops again.  The remaining 4 coyotes in the group drop through this valley every morning.

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
sounds like your trap placement is a little off.  Most sent post set you should have them by there back foot. were is the trap placed as in relation to the pole?  you can also take the back of you axe handle and make tracks that look like yote tracks. put one right on top of the pan. they will see that and think it is safe to step there. if they peed on your trap that is kinda like giveing you the bird. if that is the case you have a smart yote and a dirty trap.  peace ss

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Another thing you can try is same as a pee post except don't use urine. Use beaver castor about 15-18" off the ground with ur trap in front 6" or so. With castor you normally get a front foot catch. Reason is for some reason they rub on the castor with thier shoulder. They also will roll on the ground if castor is placed on the ground. That is one reason I prefer to use a lure with little if any castor. although castor is a very effective attractor I just as soon not have it in my lure.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline lazer224

• Outdoorsman
Nice coyote!! I love trapping canines. They can be such a challenge. One of the biggest thrills I've had in the outdoors was trapping my first fox. I can't wait to get a yote.
Bill

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113

If anybody gets one that they do not want I'm looking for a fresh kill or a good raw hide. Or you could just take me hunting with you and help me learn how to shoot my own  :whistling: :whistling:
Are you a hunter or do you just kill things? Respect the wildlife!

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
Bow i got some green hides froze?

Offline jkcmj

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Bagged this little male, my 2nd this morning. :dancinred:  Let's see 2 weeks to catch my 1st, 3 more weeks to get the 2nd, I'm not liking this trend.... they'll likely out breed my efforts at this rate!

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Was it in the same area or set or different place all together.
« Last Edit: February 02/10/08, 01:11:10 AM by GRIZ »
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline jkcmj

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
same set I nabbed the last one.  His neck was rubbed down, but worse yet he had baddly matted fur under the guard hair all across his back and was stinking something aweful.  I took him over to the tanner, and he said to burn him.  Thought it might be mangy.  I didn't figure it worth skinning one way or the other.  Figure I'll take the skull and boil er' out for entertainment.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Could someone post pictures of the trap and a step by step process of doing a set?  My father in-law has a pack coming up in his yard.  By the time I get over there they have always gone.  These things won't come to a call.  I was thinking of getting a trap but have no idea what I need and what to do.  They are coming up to his food scrap pit.  One morning I guess they had the cat surrounded on top the grill.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
Could someone post pictures of the trap and a step by step process of doing a set?  My father in-law has a pack coming up in his yard.  By the time I get over there they have always gone.  These things won't come to a call.  I was thinking of getting a trap but have no idea what I need and what to do.  They are coming up to his food scrap pit.  One morning I guess they had the cat surrounded on top the grill.

Its not as easy as just setting a trap and bam done deal... first off you have to dye the trap boil the trap wax the trap and make sure you get no human scent on it. Where are you at? i could give you a run down on how to do it. id even let you use some traps.. If you are in Alex i would pm griz maybe he will take care of them for you..

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
SS is hunting ever bam you're done?  That's why I figured an expert like you and the guys we have here at MNO could help me out.  Give me a list of what I need and what I need to do.  I'm in the Willmar area.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey General

You not far from lake calhoun or diamond area correct? I live NW of New London.

You mentioned a cat, were they trying for it or was the cat just scared. Reason I'm asking is cat happens to be a delicasy to fox an yote. I don't know what type of call or calls you have tried but a kitty call may be worth a shot.

This late in the yr most of the yotes have heard the dyin bunny blues a number of times. At least around our parts. So much infact that they will ignore it for the most part unless you can find a large area without roads going through it. It seems to work better this time of yr to use other types of calls. Most yote hunters are weekend wariors and have a limited supply of calls or a bunch of different pitched dyin bunnies. Either way use somethin different like the kitty in distress, yote pup in distress, fox barks. They are pairing up now so a yote mating call would be very effective I think.

I can help you out some more later with the trappin end of it. Today I'm a bit busy as the water pipes are froze and I had the knipco going for half a day and it's still not going.

Hey if you can  help with that post it in this topic http://mnoutdoorsman.com/forums/index.php?topic=9971.0
~Thomas Jefferson