Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 1st coyote (trapping that is)  (Read 14018 times)

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
SS is hunting ever bam you're done?  That's why I figured an expert like you and the guys we have here at MNO could help me out.  Give me a list of what I need and what I need to do.  I'm in the Willmar area.

WHen you are as good as me yes its bam and done....

i sent you a long pm on how to trap your yote

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
SS is hunting ever bam you're done?  That's why I figured an expert like you and the guys we have here at MNO could help me out.  Give me a list of what I need and what I need to do.  I'm in the Willmar area.

WHen you are as good as me yes its bam and done....

Sounds to me like you need to go back to the beginning. Here's a refresher course http://mnoutdoorsman.com/forums/index.php?topic=8768.0

:rotflmao: :moon:
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
Griz that is on trapping not HUNTING so i would say that is a moot issue :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon:

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Griz that is on trapping not HUNTING so i would say that is a moot issue :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon:

Huntin and trappin are basically the same just different tools are used. So ur defense is considered invalid. BTW what the heck is a moot issue?
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
Griz... my issue is valid. trapping is a whole differnt ball game then hunting. saying there the same is kinda like saying a F 250 is the same as a HD2500.....

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Griz... my issue is valid. trapping is a whole differnt ball game then hunting. saying there the same is kinda like saying a F 250 is the same as a HD2500.....

Thats my point.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Yes Griz I'm east of Diamond Lake.  But the place where the Father in law lives is close to the College in Willmar.  The yotes have ate one cat already and were trying for the other one.  I'm going to give calling one more try.  Maybe I'll wait until they eat the other cat  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes Griz I'm east of Diamond Lake.  But the place where the Father in law lives is close to the College in Willmar.  The yotes have ate one cat already and were trying for the other one.  I'm going to give calling one more try.  Maybe I'll wait until they eat the other cat  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

or better yet tie the cat out in the yard and start the call.....

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
  • NorthernGal --Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
You guys got me looking at how to trap books now lol
the hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Best place for Bait.....Babes Bait... Babe's is locally known as “the best little bait shop in Ely”. Tackle and Fresh Bait

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
here is what you will need

Trap- I would go with a #3 bridger you can buy them at gander.
you will have to degrees the trap.. (soak in vingar 24 hrs.)
Then you will have to set pan tension ( around 3.5 -4 pounds)
File all sharp edges off
then you will have to dye the trap.
then boil the trap
then wax the trap ( put a nail in the jaws so you get wax in between jaws)
then hang out side and do not touch trap with your hands unless you have on rubber gloves.

you will need a stake 1/2 by 20" is what i use
you will need trap pan covers or use insulation under the pan
you will need a sifter to sift snow or dirt over the trap

then you will have to determan where to set the trap.

dig a trap bed
stake trap in bed
bed trap by packing dirt in the jaws so it will not move (or if ground is froze you can use cover hulls)
place your pan cover over the pan or insulation under the pan
sift dirt or what ever is on the ground over the trap ( it snow use cover hulls to cover the trap then cover that with a very light coat of snow)
remove  all human tracks from the area.

be sure to not get any human sent on anything you use as in trap stake pan cover anything.

i would say if you have a bait pile bed two or three traps around it about 8 - 10 inches from it. kinda look at the tracks that are there to determin where they are stepping.. if you want to get real creative take the back of your axe or hammer and make some tracks but one track right over the pan..  hmm anything else hit me up i may have missed something but you should get the point...   

again  you can buy most all this stuff at gander or let me know i have it all..       

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
  • NorthernGal --Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Filing the edges off?
waxing?
dying?
boiling?
wow i got alot to learn
the hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Best place for Bait.....Babes Bait... Babe's is locally known as “the best little bait shop in Ely”. Tackle and Fresh Bait

Offline jkcmj

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Nabbed number 3 yote today!   :party3: :party3: :party3:This one was in my other set about 15 yards away from the one that caught the other 2 yotes.  2 days apart instead of 2 weeks, not that's more like it!

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rocker; :tequila; :tequila; :tequila; :tequila; :tequila; :rocker; :rocker; :rocker; :rocker; :rocker; :rocker;

good job... now you gotta work on gettin a double and a tripple

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Good job on another yote. Sounds like ur gettin the hang of it.

:rocker; :tequila; :tequila; :tequila; :tequila; :tequila; :rocker; :rocker; :rocker; :rocker; :rocker; :rocker;

good job... now you gotta work on gettin a double and a tripple

You don't work at them. They just happen. If ya got good sets on good location they just happen. I've never had a triple but then I only set 2 traps at a location. At that rate it'll be a spell for I get a triple. I just can't justify settin another trap at a location with the population of critters right now.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Filing the edges off?
waxing?
dying?
boiling?
wow i got alot to learn

The filing has to do with tuning the traps as well as the pan tension. There have been entire books wrote on the subject of tuning traps.

The dying and waxing is to protect the trap for the most part. The waxing does help the trap work a bit better (faster). Some believe that it helps control the odor but I disagree as wax is more absorbent to odor than steel. BTW one of the guys that taught me alot about fox trappin never dyed or waxed his traps. His best yr was 887 fox with over 10,000 in his lifetime. Numbers like that say alot.

New traps do have to be degreesed. Many ways can be used to do it. The way I do it is just boil the traps in water. Don't take the trap out of the water but put a hose in the bottom of tub and fill thus the grease will run off the top. If you pull the trap out of the tub your lifting it up thru the floating grease and you have a trap that just has a lighter coating of oil is all. I've used vinigar, lye and other things to degreese them but they still have to be boiled afterwords anyhow to get that stuff off em. Also I don't care for the way some of that stuff will corrode traps if not cleaned properly.

This summer when I start workin on my traps I'll do some posts getting more into some of this stuff.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
or you can be lazy like me and just wax them and call it good...

Offline jkcmj

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I thought I'd post a photo of my brother with the coyote from Monday.

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot

Offline remmy

• Minnow
  • i vote for SHAFT for 2008 pres
where can i get some cheap trap set ups for coyote , bobcats , and fishers ..any help ?
« Last Edit: February 02/13/08, 09:16:05 AM by repoman »
LEROY BROWN

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
check out this double catch

Forum maintenance

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice repo i see you use the new MB 550s........

you should try putting your traps farther apart then you will have a better chance of not getting one yote in two traps and so if you get a true double ( two yotes not two feet) they wont fight each other..

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
id like to take credit for trappping something other then my finger but i cant ,  (yet) !
i just found the pic somewhere  and posted it  :whistling:

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
where can i get some cheap trap set ups for coyote , bobcats , and fishers ..any help ?

It depends on what you call cheap. From what I've seen as long as traps are in good shape they hold their value pretty well. Your best bet is to find some at an auction for a real steal. Otherwise you can look on the net? Might find some ads in FFG or the Trapper magazines to check out. Otherwise just buy from a trap supplier.

As an example back in 88 or 89 I bought 40 dozen traps for $28 a dozen and last summer was offered $75 a doz for em. I didn't take the offer as it would cost me more than that to buy an equivelent trap to replace them. So long as they are in good shape they are worth the price of new to current owner.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline remmy

• Minnow
  • i vote for SHAFT for 2008 pres
right,on griz thanks for the info  :happy1:
LEROY BROWN