Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: lcd vs. plasma  (Read 5210 times)

Offline tattguy12

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
We are in the process of buying a new t.v. wondering if anyone has any opinion on the difference between plasma and lcd?or should we just go with a hdtv??thanks for any help

kevin :kermit:
« Last Edit: February 02/01/08, 12:44:46 PM by tattguy12 »
WOW LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT BULLHEAD!!!!!!

Offline rchaze60

• Master Outdoorsman
well since starting next year all the stations are going to HD i would go with a good HD tv if you dont get a HDTV you will have to buy a box to convert it  I say this on the news about 2 weeks ago

Offline mopho

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
 you cannot buy a  non digital ready tv  DIGITAL DOES NOT MEAN HDTV! :kermit:

Offline tattguy12

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
ya we saw it to thats why were getting a new t.v now and ours is to small for our living room

Offline Wagz

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Go with the LCD

My brothers power bill took quite a jump with his plasma TV

Offline mopho

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
ya we saw it to thats why were getting a new t.v now and ours is to small for our living room
  do you have cable or dish?

Offline tattguy12

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

Offline tattguy12

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

Offline mopho

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
cable :spongebob:
then it  the whole  digital switch does not matter to you

Offline Faceman

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Next year all signals are supposed to be transmitted in digital format. Most tvs built in the 7 or 8 years should be able to receive them with no problem (supposed to).  If you have a cable box then it should not matter because it already converts to digital. I am also buying a new tv as well. I did alot of research and lcd versus plasma breaks down to your choice.
I am buying an LCD. I found LCD uses much less power than Plasma, stays alot cooler, less glare, no burn in from stationary pics such as channel ID or ticker tape etc. Plasma gives a better crisper picture. Just do your research and check out as many as possible before buying. I was thinking about rear projection (LCD or DLP) but found out they require bulbs that burn out every 2-5 years and cost on average $200-300 each.
So anyway this is just my opinion and you need to make up your own mind and weigh all your options. Good Luck.
Vegetarian: Old indian word for bad hunter.

Offline mopho

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
besides the power consumption  the main  thing about plasma vs lcd is that plasma has a very short life span 10-20k thousand hours with a less than cost effective recharge fee( throw it away) while lcd bulbs last 3-10k  and cost 100-300 bucks  the tv's really have  nothing else to wear out  unlike  old style rear projectors. the drawback of most lcd's is viewing angle ever look  at a lcd computer monitor/laptop screen  from an odd angle ? yeah  doesn't work so well so if you  have  your living room set up where you need large viewing angles plasma may be a better fit ( that  is the only reason the use projectors and plasmas  in  bars ) ...

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
yeah i say lcd as well , i know alot of people that spent the $$ on the almighty plasma and kick them selves in the a$$ because of it ....    lcd is the way to go

unless of course you spend the 8000 and get the pioneer elite  :rocker;

Offline tattguy12

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Thanks for the input we decided we are going with lcd...

kevin :toast:

Offline Fiasco

• Outdoorsman
Good luck with the LCD. I'm sure it will work well for you. Most are pretty good. I bought a plasma. I think there are some misconceptions about plasma. If you use it 6 hours a day for 9 years, you will reach 20,000 so I wouldn't sweat that. The mfgs have done a lot of testing and the lifespan is looking pretty good on these things. In fact, they predict they will last longer than CRT tvs. They do consume a lot of power but so do LCDs. LCDs don't use lamps. I think one of the posts was thinking about rear projection. The main reason I got plasma is that they do a better job with action movies and sports. LCDs suffer from a bit of screen jitter when displaying high speed images. It isn't noticeable to many people so it probably won't be a problem. My last comment is that LCDs seem to be less expensive in the mid range sizes. Once you get up over 50 inches though, they become more comparable. I have a 58" Panasonic plasma that I purchased after much research and waiting for the price to hit my range. I've never regretted it.
It's a nasty truth, but those who seek to inflict harm are not fazed by gun controllers. I happen to know this from personal experience."

President Reagan