Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: MNO Lake Trout excursion to Burntside lake this winter  (Read 11180 times)

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
   I am going to give this a go this winter.  Last winter the conditions were a complete wash out from the very beginning.   If the conditions permit would anyone be interested in taking a chance at a Laker though the ice on Burntside?  TGO has offered a 1.725% discount on dead sticklebacks if we place an MNO bumper sticker somewhere on the outside of his bait shop.  He also has a mole working at Babes finding out how and where to find the Lakers.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

The laker season opens mid January.  If the conditions permit would anyone else be interested in giving it a try?  If conditions permit this excursion would happen between the 15th of Jan, and the 15th of Feb.  If it is during the week the lake is pretty quite.  Weekends can be very busy. If you have any interest start making plans for a possible run now. 

This is not a sign up.  Only a check for interest.     
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
I would be interested if the dates work out. Always up for another fun quest and chance to check a fish species off the bucket list.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Ive been wanting to get ther for years, never took advantage of burntside when I live up ther. But.... I was palnning ICE-APALOOZA probabley last weekend of Jan to first weekend in Feb. at Red lake. so I dony hink I'll be making up to Ely to teach Jim my ice fishing skills he been hoping Id do. It'll have to wait maybe next year jim, sorry. Still want get up ther some day. Burntside bash would be fun.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline ray634

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Sounds like fun if the dates work out. :happy1:

Offline greatoutdoors

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2014, 2015, & 2016 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
Weekdays are the best time to fish Burntside, a lot less traffic on the lake which increases a chance to catch a laker so greatly that DDS may even get a bite, but I seriously doubt it!!!   :coffee:
I can help just about anyone catch a Laker on Burntside, if they want any info.  :happy1:
Of course, I probably will never be able to help DDS, since you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!! (sorry Boar, no offense)  ;D ;D ;D
The Great Outdoors
419 East Sheridan Street
Ely, MN 55731 USA
218-365-4744

E mail:  thegreatoutdoors@frontier.com

Like Us on Face Book
https://www.facebook.com/jim.maki.14?ref=tn_tnmn#!/pages/Great-Outdoors-Bait-Tackle/1606420532911075

"The only Ely Bait Shop owned by a lifelong resident.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
78.50"

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
Weekdays are the best time to fish Burntside, a lot less traffic on the lake which increases a chance to catch a laker so greatly that DDS may even get a bite, but I seriously doubt it!!!   :coffee:
I can help just about anyone catch a Laker on Burntside, if they want any info.  :happy1:
Of course, I probably will never be able to help DDS, since you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!! (sorry Boar, no offense)  ;D ;D ;D

Thegreatoutdoors does know a thing or two about purses.  That's for sure.   :happy1:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline greatoutdoors

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2014, 2015, & 2016 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
I see DDS is a lot better taking photos of purses than he is of any fish he ever caught for the Fishing Challenge!!   :happy1:
However, the General has advised me that the fellow holding the purse in the photo, is actually DDS's fiancĂ©!!!!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
The Great Outdoors
419 East Sheridan Street
Ely, MN 55731 USA
218-365-4744

E mail:  thegreatoutdoors@frontier.com

Like Us on Face Book
https://www.facebook.com/jim.maki.14?ref=tn_tnmn#!/pages/Great-Outdoors-Bait-Tackle/1606420532911075

"The only Ely Bait Shop owned by a lifelong resident.

Offline Wyofish

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I would be interested if a weekend works for me.

Offline ling0069

• Outdoorsman
I would love to get up there if the dates work. Tried to make it last year but couldn't.
You can live to be a hundred, if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred.

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
I would love to get up there if the dates work. Tried to make it last year but couldn't.

Last year was pretty much a total bust from the beginning with the snow and slush.  If it stays cold without a big snow dump we should be ok for this year.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
what time of the year are you thinking D ?
78.50"

Offline knoppers

I also am interested. I love laker fishing in winter, done plenty in Canada. not sure about lodging, and how soon I need to make resv.

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
   The ideal time frame would be between Jan.15th(Opener) and Feb.15.  Weekdays would  allow much more opportunity to explore.  Weekends, according to thegreatoutdoors can be pretty busy.  I will not look at any lodging options until I know the ice is good.  If it stays cold for the next couple of weeks before a big snow we can start making firm plans.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
well Ya got my interest peekd, we would need sleds an portable I assume?
78.50"

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  2 winters ago I was able to drive out in my truck.  The snow conditions will be the deal breaker.

Offline Ely Fish House Rental

Hey Guys.  I live in Ely and rent out fish houses on Burntside.  I should be able to help you guys out with conditions and fishing reports on here.  The last I heard Burnside still had a lot of open water.

Sleds and portables are always the best option for being able to get to where you want to go.  Last year you were very limited to where you could fish if you only had a truck.  Hopefully conditions are not quite as bad as last year but this winter is already starting off with a bang....so we will see. 

Check out our website and please like us on fb for up to date reports.  I am in IL until after Thanksgiving but once I get back I will be putting out my houses if conditions allow.

Thanks.

www.elyfishhouserental.com

www.facebook.com/elyfishhouserental

This was the last fish of the season for me on Burntside.  Nice fat 30incher. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 11/22/14, 08:39:06 AM by Ely Fish House Rental »

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Hey Double D, me and the wife are in, during the week is fine too, what we would do is probably rent from Mike stark so all we have to do is grab some stuff and drive up up economicaly. but we;d like to do'er.
78.50"

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
    As soon as we know the ice will be manageable we will set a date.  One big snow dump after ice over and the season could be shot to he// again.   

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
yup tru enough, lots of place a firming up nicely, cross the fingers it holds
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Hey Double D, me and the wife are in, during the week is fine too, what we would do is probably rent from Mike stark so all we have to do is grab some stuff and drive up up economicaly. but we;d like to do'er.
someone must need your lisecnse for the extra fish they catch!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
That was very jocular comment glenn, I got a good chuckle out of it, kudos to you sir.
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
anything for you bud!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: if ya go good luck!!!!! ya know I am just giving ya a haed time! :bow: :bow:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
derrrr, course i do,  :happy1: Wifes pretty excited for an adventure like that, 6 hours one way is tough, use to run that every weekend when i went to college up there.  Hope a few or yus guys can make it. The way i see it, use an ecomical vehical, save on the gas, put it into a sleeper instead of a motel room.
 Say Double D, since youve done this, before do walleyes frequent the same evnvironment as lakers, I mean if were doing lakers is a guy able to hit walleyes as another option, lakers genrealy are holding in any level of the water colum  pending on bait I suppose, can a guy swith presentations and fish off the bottom for walleyes, In the same holes.
78.50"

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
    I only got to fish Burntside for an hour and a half.  A ice storm was coming in an I had to get back to Outing that day.  I made it to Remer before the Freezing rain hit.

To answer your question is no.  You will probably be fishing in 80-100ft of water.  We will be looking for steep breaks.  The Lakers are cruisers.  They will just swim through and be gone.  They will charge up 30 or more ft if they like what they see.  The vexilar is very important.  They can be caught on deadsticks set on the bottom and right under the ice.  They used to be stocked in Roosevelt.  Lack of O2 killed them off so  they quit the stocking program.  In the beginning I caught quite a few of them.   One weekend I caught 22 of them. 

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
78.50"

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  If you are in a sleeper it wouldn't hurt to have your lines down but I think Lakers are a more active day feeders. 

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Deep lake like that should have some good Eelpout!!