Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: How do I know what size bow string to get  (Read 2678 times)

Offline bigbuck150

I just got a bear recurve at a yard sale.  It is marked amo66 but I'm not sure what size string I need.  I've read online both 3" and 4" shorter is correct.  I normally get my compound strings from www.60xcustomstrings.com but I have no idea when it comes to traditional bows.  Thanks for any help.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I would take it to a archery shop, and have it measured. Even if you don't buy a string from them, you will know what you need.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
I just got a bear recurve at a yard sale.  It is marked amo66 but I'm not sure what size string I need.  I've read online both 3" and 4" shorter is correct.  I normally get my compound strings from www.60xcustomstrings.com but I have no idea when it comes to traditional bows.  Thanks for any help.
Like above welcome! I have a couple Bear recurves might even have that model I painted it cammo so cant read the label.How long is the bow tip to tip?
 If you come back PM me and I'm sure I can help>>OR go to a google of FredBear bow AMO66 you may find the string length by length of bow.The 66 leads me to believe its 66 inches long?Mine takes a 54 inch string
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine