Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Muzzle loader deer hunting anyone  (Read 12408 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Besides Boar, anyone else going to give muzzle loader a try this year.  I cleaned, dried and loaded the 50 cal. tonight.  I plan to poke around a little on Saturday.  I love muzzle loader hunting because it gives me a chance to wander around a bit without bothering anyone or the deer.  I like to get to areas I never get to bow and gun hunting.  No pressure, just a relaxed hunt.  For a stand, I brush the snow from a log and sit a bit. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
The boy and I plan on going out. We have bonus tags we can fill....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Actually I had so much fun hunting with my wife and daughter, I forgot to hold off for muzzy, we taged out in HC. so no muzzy for me, but I agree that its so much more of a peacfull hunt. hardley anyone is out. but on thurs morn i plan on busting grouse tho.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline proangler16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Doing the Crow Wing State Park Muzzy Hunt Dec. 3-4th.  Think I"m going to just still hunt and sit periodically :scratch: as I don't know the land.
"Give a man a fish and he has food for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him for the entire weekend." ~Zenna Schaffer

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
this is my muzzy hunting

[attachment deleted by admin]
78.50"

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Good Luck to the smoke pole crowd. I wish it were a quieter hunt but that's not the case where my land is, there's just as many trucks as rifle season but it makes sense really. We leave all yearling and 2.5 year old bucks alone and so do all the area guys so having that warm/hot deer season not many if any were taken. Doesn't make getting one of those giants any easier though, they are nearly completely nocturnal depending on the land/situation you hunt. Tag is gone on a 8 pointer in zone 1, dad always said if you'd take him with your muzzleloader take him with your rifle lol. Good Luck and many will have snow which is nice ! 

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
There are a number of muzzle loader hunter in my general area.  A lot of them will probably shoot a small buck given the chance.  Several years ago I had stopped by a neighbors camp during the rifle season and saw they had a couple small bucks hanging.  I showed them pictures of several nice bucks we had taken and after they said "you guys always get the big ones" I replied, "maybe it's because we don't shoot those" (pointing to the hanging small bucks).  Several weeks later just before the muzzle loader season the neighbor called and ask if he could hunt deer on my land with the muzzle loader.  I simply said "I don't think it would make much sense for us to let all the little bucks go and then let you come in and shoot them, now would it?"  Pretty much put an end to that.

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
In Nodak the muzzle season is always during the second rut on the last week of the three week season.  If you have a gratis tag and haven't used it, its good and Ill hope to use it in a couple of weeks.  Still no snow on the ground  hopefully soon.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I picked up my muzzy tag last night. We had so much sausage made, we would like another for more burger.  :happy1:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
I'll be slug hunting in the metro still. Muzzleloader comes out next week

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Did not see a deer this morning. I did witness a white weasel hunt, and catch a mouse. The nature channel was the only thing on.....it was a good time.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
First time for me.  I will be leaving Monday morning to my deer camp area and will be hunting with my brother.  He has a extra one, and i 'm ready to go.  Looks like the weather will not be that bad next week.  good luck.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Good luck Reinhard!

Damp and foggy this morning, but a wonderful day to be in the woods!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
 :Hunter:

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks like a good deer trail coming through there.  good luck.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Yup, there is a pretty good trail right in front of the stand. But I've only seen birds, rabbits and squirrels so far...

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Went for a long walk from 11-2 on Saturday.  Saw three two does and a fawn. Didn't shoot any.  Saturday evening I sat near a field they had been digging through the snow to eat.  Put out a decoy and saw two does but Mr. Buck didn't show.  Slogged my way across a swamp this morning.  There were pallets beneath me but the snow was knee deep.  Half way across (200 yard crossing) I seriously contemplated turning back but then it would be getting late so I pushed on.  Around 9 I got glimpses of a doe quite a ways off.  After she disappeared, I saw another bigger deer following.  This was a pretty good buck.  Too far through trees, brush, and branches for a shot with the muzzle loader.  I did my best to pull him off the doe but he also disappeared.  About an hour later I got down and checked the tracks.  The buck actually headed towards me for about 100 feet before returning to follow the doe.  I carefully followed them and after 30 yards, while stopped and scanning the woods, I saw the doe pop up from her bed.  I searched for the buck but he was no where to be seen.  There was only one bed as the buck stood guard and did not lay down.  I spent the next half hour dogging the buck, trying to cut in front of him or get him to let me walk past close enough for a shot. The SOB was just playing with me and at one walked in my tracks and then for good measure, walked past the stand I was in.  I did see him a couple times.  Finally I though he was headed out a point so I quickly got to the edge thinking he may be crossing a swamp, but NO, he simply cut back along the edge.  At this time I said "you win" and headed back across the swamp.  After lunch and a much needed rest, I went for another excursion.  This time I cut the fresh tracks of a doe and fawn.  Rather then follow the tracks, I zigzagged until I saw them watching me.  I guess they thought this guy doesn't know what he is doing as the let me pass by at about 50 yards.  Great time in the woods.  Learned quite a bit today.   

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
View of decoy in the snow.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I was supposed to go up north today to hunt but it's 100% rain up there all day and some tomorrow.  What is up with this weather come hunting time.  The last weekend of firearms was a snow storm and now in the end of November it's rain.  This would have been another snow storm if the temps were lower.  good luck.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Raining like crazy out here!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Seen a big doe headed my way, either she whiffed me or saw me readjust...cause she didn’t like what she saw and turned around on the same trail she was on. No shot

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Hope to see a doe tomorrow.  heading up north rain, snow whatever.  Sick of missing my time in the woods.  Looking forward to it.  Calling for some possible rain or snow up there tomorrow.  I think the deer are moving so hopefully there will be some venison yet this year.  good luck.

Offline lovebigbluegills

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
I'm headed to our property this weekend. Hopefully they hitting the food hard an make my job an stand decision easier

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I kicked out up a doe and a fawn walking out. Doah!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I went out from noon to dark.  Saw a few but nothing I wanted to shoot.  Did some awesome scouting.  Great time in the woods.

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
The snow came but way too much, 20-24" with two days of 30 mph wind has left 6-10' snow drifts.... prob the end of deer hunting this season for me.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
The snow came but way too much, 20-24" with two days of 30 mph wind has left 6-10' snow drifts.... prob the end of deer hunting this season for me.
corny where abouts you live????? my boss is south of Mandan and he got nailed there too!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I saw the same doe and fawn I've been seeing every time I go out.....time to go in for dinner....smoked brisket....yum!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
corny where abouts you live????? my boss is south of Mandan and he got nailed there too!!!!!!!
yeah...like corney is gona tell you!! .. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
78.50"