Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Tips and Tricks  (Read 2651 times)

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
About that time of year to start planting seeds indoors to get a head start on this years growing season. I thought I would start A TRICK AND TIPS thread. For those who start plants early I have a trick for you. If you go to the store and buy donuts or Danish in them plastic containers the containers can be reused as mini greenhouses. Why buy them when you can get them for free. I simply wash off the labels and then fill with coconut coil or your favorite starting mix. Sprinkle seeds on top, close the lid and there you have a green house. When plants grow to reach the lid open up the lid and let them keep growing. When big enough to transplant pick out the strongest. I start my  tobacco and peppers this way and also tomatoes.

So do you have any tricks?
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
On my gardens, I put preen on them in the fall and cover with a tarp. In the spring I till it up and plant. I'll add preen as needed but for the most part, it kills the weeds right away.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
tobacco  plants??
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
tobacco  plants??
Yes I grow tobacco for cigs and cigars. go here to learn how http://mnoutdoorsman.com/forums/index.php?topic=29596.0  right in this forum you will get to see how from seed to finish product.
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Next up Grow Lights,

I have a south facing window in my den that I use to start plants with. I have a big shelf at window height then I use glass blocks and put steel closet racks on top to set my plants on. I can stack about three levels high. Above all of this I have a three bulb flood light fixture This year I went out and bought three 15 watt grow lights. I had to buy some socket extenders so the grow lights would screw into the floodlight sockets. Tried them out last night and they are pretty dang bright. I am going to have them on during cloudy days and in the evening to see if they help promote growth.

Any day now I should have some tobacco coming up and I will see if the lights help speed up their growth.
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
On my gardens, I put preen on them in the fall and cover with a tarp. In the spring I till it up and plant. I'll add preen as needed but for the most part, it kills the weeds right away.
Preen, good stuff. To bad you can't find the small bottles I have only seen the big ones but they get used up all the same.
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
A tip for fall is cover your berries in male leaves rather then just any leaves. The Maple leaves break down adding nitro to the soil. Have been told this by several berry growers who swear by the leaves. Also old shingles between your berry rows keep the leaves down and make it easy to walk on.
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
A tip for fall is cover your berries in male leaves rather then just any leaves. The Maple leaves break down adding nitro to the soil. Have been told this by several berry growers who swear by the leaves. Also old shingles between your berry rows keep the leaves down and make it easy to walk on.
lets try this again

A tip for fall is cover your berries in maple leaves rather then just any leaves. The Maple leaves break down adding nitro to the soil. Have been told this by several berry growers who swear by the leaves. Also old shingles between your berry rows helps keep the weeds down and makes it easy to walk on.
Bobby Bass