Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Those Summertime drinks....and memories  (Read 6884 times)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
they have in Alex!!!  going there tomorrow so I'll get some!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
And remember the vanilla ice cream! Ya GOTTA do the root beer float with Frostop!  :tongue:  :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
just the root beer first!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Speaking of cool, going for a record down here. Heat index is 105...dewpoint is an unreal 73* and it's 92* degrees out... :embarrassed:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
went over to LP and paid my legion dues, stopped at Ace there and scored some root beer!!   I just might have to get some new york vanilla yet!!

oh and it's 70 here but humid as heck!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Speaking of cool, going for a record down here. Heat index is 105...dewpoint is an unreal 73* and it's 92* degrees out... :embarrassed:
like that's bothering you? You and the neighbor lady are flopping around in the kiddy pool anyway!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :sleazy:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
We went to the "pop shop" there was one on East River road...and just about every holiday station in Minnesota. They had every flavor you could ever want as a kid.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I remember RC Cola...was around a lot more back then. Pepsi was my favorite though. I can just remember when Mountain Dew first hit the stores here...in 1961. Had my first bottle at my Aunt's house. Boy, was that good stuff!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Tequila or vodka and orange juice! :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Tequila or vodka and orange juice! :happy1: :rotflmao:

IMPROPER    You did not drink this when you were a kid.... :tut:                 :azn:  :moon:
« Last Edit: July 07/13/17, 11:19:16 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
going to have some after lunch, I'll let ya know!!! :happy1:

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
We went to the "pop shop" there was one on East River road...and just about every holiday station in Minnesota. They had every flavor you could ever want as a kid.

I remember both.  I also remember most of those flavors not being that good; certainly not compared to the real pop flavors they were trying to knock off.

Steel cans too.  You needed to use the pointy end of a church key can opener to drink 'em.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Remember the ol' ice cream sodas? Couple scoops of ice cream, and some flavored soda water. I remember there was a little soda counter in this cigar and book store in town..advertised a "green river soda". Have no idea what that was.  :scratch:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
A buddy of mine was a bartender in the small town of Beaver Creek MN.  He would get so bored when it was not busy he would call me and give me free drinks if I would come visit him.  We started trying to make up drinks and I invented Nesbitts Cream Soda and Christian Brothers Brandy as a "Creamy Christian".   I am sure you have all heard of that....    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
been by that place many times, I just can't remember if I ever stopped there!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
HEY MIKEY!! How was da root beer?

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that is some good stuff too!!!!  I'll buy that again...    a real good after taste, not like some of the off brands.   

have you ever had 1919 root beer???   it's made by Schells brewery out of New Ulm??? fine stuff too....

it's called 1919 cause that was when the recipe was dated

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
We told ya! Put it in an frosty mug....um num. and Yup. I used to be a Root beer-a-holic. Think I've had just about every brand ya can find in a store, or at some specialty stands. Paul Bunyan land in Brainerd used to sell "Authentic birch beer and sarsaparilla" ....yuk. Didn't care for those. I just bought some Faygo Diet root beer last week, went down the drain. Bitter after taste, terrible stuff.
« Last Edit: July 07/13/17, 03:56:09 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Go buy some "Not your father's root beer"

Best root beer there is....AND, you get hammered!
REALLY good on ice cream!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Gee, I forgot Tang! (No Glenn, no "poon" in that) Even the astronauts drank it! So said Tang. And how about Hawaiian punch? Loved the commercial.....*POW*   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 07/14/17, 11:25:58 AM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Gee, I forgot Tang! (No Glenn, no "poon" in that) Even the astronauts drank it! So said Tang. And how about Hawaiian punch? Loved the commercial.....*POW*   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:pouty: :pouty: :confused: i'm offended you wouldthink that with my clean livin and all!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :taz: :taz: :taz: :pouty:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Home made root beer...Many years ago 3 of us adventurers were canoeing the BWCA,week long trip that started on moose lake near ely,back then we drank lake water laced with tang and never herd of or got gardia,looping back from saganaga along knife lake we came across an island with cabins and a dock and a little old lady waving at us,so we stopped and chatted,turned out to be Dorthy Molter,well know pioneer lady that lived there for many years,even tho her husband was long gone she stayed,sold supplies to wary travelers and made the best home made root beer I ever had,that or we were tired of lake water tang,Dorthy has long passed but there is a book floating around about her life up there,good read.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
The one off of East River road was the Viking cola company. Use to stop by there all the time....

Offline Coffee118

• Master Outdoorsman
With all the root beer talk I'll have to try to give this a try. http://pin.it/SNnvSPm
if you kick me when I'm down you better pray I don't get up.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
coffee, that could be interesting let us know how it is!!!   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Dakids tried the best root beer around! (I stole this off of his facebook page)  :rotflmao:

Along with his Metro fishing rig.....  :rotflmao:

[attachment deleted by admin]