Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Wagyu or Kobe steaks  (Read 14214 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Anyone ever had Wagyu or Kobe steaks.  I see a $300 bundle online at costco.  I think it was 6  22 oz ribeyes and 6 or 8  8 oz burgers  That is about $20 per pound.  I wonder if it is that good?  It would take some smooth talking to the wife for me to get this though.  Wish I could get a $150 bundle.  Man they sure look good.  A buddy and I have always talked about getting a few steaks.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I see they are D'artagnan Kobe like steaks.  $319 for the bundle.  Item # 877952  It is 8 steaks appx 10 lbs and 12 burgers appx 6 lbs.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
I'd love to try some Kobe beef! But, I'm lucky to be able to once in a while grab a $6.99 lb sale chuckeye! Looking at Kowalski's Markets (my cousin's wife worked at the St Paul one)  Kobe type beef, rib-eyes are $25.99 a lb today.... :doah:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
If it IS truly Kobe beef, I'd say, ya, that IS a good price....But what do I know. RH is the guy to ask. I'm not well versed on that spendy stuff. But he's fishing....
Don't mean to cut and paste, but it's more than I thought...yow! And the pros said to SEAR IT FIRST..... :whistling:

U.S. +
Business
Markets

The world's priciest foods

Kobe beef

Estimated price per pound today: $150 and up

Kobe beef is renowned among carnivores for its rich flavor and melt-in-your-mouth texture. You'll find it at pricey steakhouses and sushi restaurants, and also at some butchers and online retailers, where a four-ounce filet mignon might set you back $50. Kobe beef, also known as "Wagyu," comes from Wagyu cattle raised in the Hyogo region of Japan. Increasingly, you'll also find "American Kobe," a more affordable alternative that is produced by American ranchers raising Wagyu cattle domestically.
Morgan Ranch, in Burwell, Neb., started raising Wagyu in 1992. Co-owner Dan Morgan explains: "Wagyu are genetically selected for eating quality - marbleizing, tenderness, juiciness, and flavor"- as opposed to other characteristics such as hardiness, fast growth, or milk production. He compares Wagyu meat to fine wine: it's a specialty item for discriminating palates.
Joe Lazzara, owner of Joe's Butcher Shop in Carmel, Ind., carries both the Japanese and American varities, and a Kobe steak costs about $110 per pound, while a similar cut of American Kobe goes for about half that.
For Lazzara, selling Kobe beef is a mark of prestige. "Carrying Kobe says we're the kind of purveyor who knows about meat; it gives us credibility. If we're knowledgeable about Kobe beef, just imagine everything else we must know."
And once a customer's purchased a prime cut, how should he cook it? "Carefully," Lazzara advises. "Sear it at a high temperature, then finish it on low heat. The fat melts and coats the meat with flavor as you cook it."   

« Last Edit: July 07/31/17, 04:55:08 PM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: WHAT.................not boil it in a plastic bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good info Rebs.  This D'artagnon is Wagyu beef raised here in the US so that is why it is called Kobe "like" beef.  This bundle is $20 per lb.  That I can afford. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Whoa.....$20 a pound?.... I need a new job to keep up with you folks!
Either that, or sell a kidney (cause the liver is already shot)

:rotflmao:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I could probably sell my body for a couple nites, but that would probably just get me enough for a 1/2 lb baloney.   :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Heck HD, just run into Kowalski's and pick up a couple of their rib-eyes... :shocked:

Kowalski's 100% Grass Fed Rib Eye Steak
PER LB
UPC: 20113700000
$27.99/lb
 1 lb

When I'd spend a weeknd up at my cousins in St Paul a few years back, we'd go and pick his wife up from work (she was a baker in Kowalskis) we'd stare like kids in a candy shop at their meats in their butcher case.... :hubba:
Then we'd go back home , slam half a case of Rocks, throw a rack of ribs from Rainbow Foods on the grill, make a pot of beans, and enjoy all of it just as much.
« Last Edit: July 07/31/17, 06:16:37 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I live up in the sticks Reb.....I don't even know where a "Kowalskis" would be.....  :confused:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh...figgered dat! They be down in da big city, HD!  Around the Twin Cities/money suburbs. :azn: Here, go shoppin'!

https://onthego.kowalskis.com/#/category/meat_seafood

Personally, I'd give my left nut to get outta here and live where you guys do. I hate this spendy city and neighbors 20 ft away. You do know I live vicariously thru you guys, dontcha?  :embarrassed:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok I have a hold on this program.  The wife said if you want it you can get it after she thought about it for awhile.  Always good to buy food.  Well as I am in the shower it dawned on me that I am paying $20 lb for the burger too.  Can't do it.  I would pay $20 lb for some super steaks but can probably get just as good ones from the beef ranchers I know.  AND grass fed is the cool thing to talk about and is all BS.  All cattle raised is grass fed but then the good ranchers bring them in and feed them grain to marble them for a month before they butcher.  Darn, I was sure excited about this.   Rebs you buy one of the real expensive ones and let me know how good it is. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Me??! I battle aisle bovines (non-grass fed) at Wally Mart just to get their marked down sell-by chicken!!! I can't afford that! Tell Glenn! He's hanging out in LV right now, watchin' show girls, sippin' tall cool ones while wearing one of those plastic bibs with the cartoon lobster on it while he dribbles butter down his chin!!! Union money! He's yer man!  :king:
Maybe even Delmar, he's always galavantin' around the globe, from coast to coast, yawping about jasmine rice and food no ones ever heard of! He'd prolly even toss it in a bag, then take his soused-up thingie to it,THEN sear it!!!!
« Last Edit: July 07/31/17, 07:19:15 PM by Rebel SS »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So do you think Glenn would admit to us that he actually went to the Bunny Ranch?  Maybe had a California burger there in between sessions...    :happy1: :happy1:  Glenn may be my new hero!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
No, he'd deny it, but if pics come out with a bunny riding a smurf.... :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
LPS I'm glad you woke up on that beef!!!!   supposed to good but I would not buy it ever!!!!  a gift ok!!!   don't see anyone handing out samples!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I was hoping he'd buy some and invite me up!!!  :mad1:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The pictures sure look good. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
nr spinkles wouldn't make it. :rotflmao:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I sure would sous vide it, but I wouldn't pay that kind of money.

Old and cheap. Me not the meat.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
nr spinkles wouldn't make it. :rotflmao:

:taz: :taz: :taz: :moon:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I was reading up reading on the Kobe beef thing, and found this recent article...Barry, ya should be happy ya saved yer cash...    I sure learned a lot! Give it a read, guys, interesting! And, of the only 8 restaurants in the US that are certified to serve certified Kobe beef, one is in Las Vegas!! Glenn, ya having steak tonite?  :shocked:

http://uproxx.com/life/kobe-wagyu-beef-food-restaurants-lie/4/
« Last Edit: August 08/01/17, 09:15:44 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I was thinking hard about how easy it is to fool the public; ie; "grass fed beef"....all cowz eat grass. Duh. So, I've decided to buy a few cattle of my own, talk Dotch into letting me keep them at Dotch's GT Farms, and making a huge profit thru clever advertising. Might look something like this:

"100% certified* Grass-fed Kobee** beef"

About our product:

Cattle are allowed to graze on the finest grasses, and only grass, supplemented by fresh Spring*** water. They then retire to their custom-made **** air-cooled***** barn, where they listen to soothing strains of Simon and Garfunkel while relaxing. This results in a delicious cut of meat, that is 100% Kobee** certified* beef. Put your order in now; we will put you on our waiting list.

Price per lb: $25, with custom cuts****** an additional 10%

A Rebco privately held company

Asterisk explanations:

Certified*  By Reb

Kobee**   All the cattle are named Kobee

Spring water***  There's a creek that runs thru the pasture

Custom-made****   Menard's pole shed

Air-cooled*****   There's a box fan in the doorway

Custom cuts******  Anything other than a lump of burger
« Last Edit: August 08/01/17, 10:57:42 AM by Rebel SS »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that will sell!!!!! :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Del gonna be your sales rep!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
LPS will be the first customer!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1:

get thems beef going Rebster!!!!
« Last Edit: August 08/01/17, 11:49:29 AM by mike89 »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I gots to get Dotch to move a few woollies around to make room for the herd.... ;)

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I've seen footage on how they raise the Wagyu cattle in Japan.  If you ever wanted to be a steer, that would be the steer to be.  They actually massage their cattle daily to keep the muscle relaxed and tender.  Along with that - beer is a regular part of the animal's diet.  Of course, eventually you get a bullet in the head, but I'm sure they do it from the back so you don't see it coming.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I saw that years ago, too. But...Didja read the above article/link from Food and Wine, T-lund? That's what I thought too, until....(excerpt)   :scratch:

Kobe Beef is one of the more coveted cuts of meat in markets and on menus across the world. But it turns out that unless you’re in very specific restaurants, you’re not eating “real” Kobe. Kobe is a regional variation of Wagyu (meaning literally “Japanese cow”). Think sparkling white wine from Champagne in France as being the only sparkling white that can be called champagne. In order for the Kobe to be authentic, it must hail from the Hyogo prefecture and be bred from a very specific breed of Wagyu — Tajima. When all these criteria are met, then we’re talking actual Kobe beef. All that humdrum you’ve heard about classical music being piped into stables, cow massages, and beer diets is actually just myths. In fact, the only thing that makes Wagyu, and Kobe, so unique are the breeding practices. Many of the cows’ lineages can be traced back centuries.