Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Move deer season 2 weeks later?  (Read 4387 times)

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
I was talking with some folks on Facebook and the subject of moving the deer  season two weeks later to get it away from the rut, as a management tool to build the herd.  What's everyone's thoughts on this.  Apparently a lot of folks think we need some major changes to our deer season to help better  the herd.  Antler point restrictions were part of this discussion too.  What's your thoughts on moving the deer season later, and on APR's?

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Nope and nope in both!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I agree with glenn57.  Leave the season they way it is and no APR thanks,
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Present program works for me.

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Here's the fourth NO and NO.
mm

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
here is another no and no. The hard winters control the herd enough.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline savage270

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
It isn't broke, so no need to fix it.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I'd ask the question of what problems those solutions were trying to address.

Selfishly, as a bow and gun hunter, moving the gun season back would let bow hunters hunt the rut without the orange army in the woods.

With all the seeming climatic changes, moving the gun season back would increase the likelihood of snow on the ground.  I like gun hunting with snow on the ground, and that doesn't happen very often anymore.

Still, neither of these reasons justifies moving the dates.

On one hand, I'd like see more mature bucks in the woods, but I don't know that APRs are the best path to get there.  I'd like to see evidence on how effective they are.  I do know that in north central Minnesota I've seen plenty of old, mature spikes, forkies, and other scrawny antlered bucks that couldn't be taken out of the gene pool (and put in the freezer) if APRs were in place. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
here is another no and no. The hard winters control the herd enough.
agreed. couple years ago there was this same discussion on another site? not sure where????? one can love or hate the DNR, agree or disagree with how they manage the deer herd, or other game species.........mother nature can throw a clink in the equasion in a heartbeat. then not to mention throw in predators, especially up in the big woods of northern mn.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Steve-o,
My neighbors shoot a lot of these "old" spike and fork bucks.  Funny thing is they usually weigh around 120-140 pounds or about what you would expect a 1.5 year old buck to weigh. Here are some examples.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
i waz happy with the 2 and 4 day weekends. why now a straight 9 day hunt. and i dont care about horns. i make increadiable sausage out a 2.5 yr old deer, buck or doe. dont know why pekple are so into shooting  big buck. if it presents it self fine, but i never shoot them cause i always tag out with my meat deer prior.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
One of the biggest deer I ever shot was a spike - full body, thick neck, gray muzzle, worn teeth - definitely not a 1.5 year old deer.  I should have taken a picture because not many believe me.

Where we hunt now, bucks seem to fall into two classes:  nicely shaped 6, 8, 10-pointers and "spikes" with racks that don't seem to develop properly.  The ladder are probably 1.5 or 2.5 year old deer that should be at least forkies, but it is like their points don't branch out.  They don't appear to have injured themselves during the antler growth period either.  Our party has taken two bucks like this and one whose antlers didn't grow at all.  Perhaps they would have matured into full-racked deer, but we will never know. 

I know my evidence is anecdotal, but I feel like there are superior and inferior genetic lines of bucks where we hunt now.  I'm no expert.  That's just my opinion.  Your mileage may vary.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
One of the biggest deer I ever shot was a spike - full body, thick neck, gray muzzle, worn teeth - definitely not a 1.5 year old deer.  I should have taken a picture because not many believe me.

Where we hunt now, bucks seem to fall into two classes:  nicely shaped 6, 8, 10-pointers and "spikes" with racks that don't seem to develop properly.  The ladder are probably 1.5 or 2.5 year old deer that should be at least forkies, but it is like their points don't branch out.  They don't appear to have injured themselves during the antler growth period either.  Our party has taken two bucks like this and one whose antlers didn't grow at all.  Perhaps they would have matured into full-racked deer, but we will never know. 

I know my evidence is anecdotal, but I feel like there are superior and inferior genetic lines of bucks where we hunt now.  I'm no expert.  That's just my opinion.  Your mileage may vary.
besides, i dont know of a good horn reciepe!!!!!!! :scratch: :scratch: :doah:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i waz happy with the 2 and 4 day weekends. why now a straight 9 day hunt. and i dont care about horns. i make increadiable sausage out a 2.5 yr old deer, buck or doe. dont know why pekple are so into shooting  big buck. if it presents it self fine, but i never shoot them cause i always tag out with my meat deer prior.
you dont need to buy a tag for the deer you get. usually all ya gotta do to get road kill is call it in. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: but i'm sure the DNR appreciates your donation!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning: :mooning:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Ok, here is my recipe for antler soup.  Steve-o said it best "Perhaps they would have matured into full-racked deer, but we will never know".
One thing is for sure, if you shoot a small buck, it positively will not grow into a big one.  Don't get me wrong, I am not against anyone shooting
a legal deer, buck or doe, but just like you want meat first and will take a big one if it presents it's self, I will let the small one's go while waiting
for the big one.  The only issue I have is people complaining there are no big bucks while they continue to shoot small ones (reason being "that's
all we see". ???

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
i agree, each to their legal own. i just dont understand why some choose to wait for a big mature buck. and are willing to pass on very nice deer in their quest. mature bucks in my opinikn are not great table fare, either is a 8 lb walleye or 16 in crappie. deer is good meat, excelent to some, and a filler to others dosent matter. but i just dont get the idea of people wantting big bucks. just to put on their wall or bragging rights, what ever. i understand if peolle shoo small one they dont get big, but whats so great about big. they smell, their tough, and are not that great to eat. in my opinion.
78.50"

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
My cuz likes taking smaller ones, but then, he eats everything except the ears and hooves.  ;)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Boar,
I can't speak for others but I will try to explain some of the reasons why I choose to wait for a big buck rather than shoot the first deer that comes by.  Here are some of the reasons that factor into my decision to wait for a big one.  I have eaten venison for 40+ years and although I really like it, I wouldn't be horribly upset if I didn't have venison for one year.  I have killed many, many deer over the 50 years I have hunted so I don't need to kill one to have a good season.  I bow hunt, muzzle loader hunt and rifle hunt so I have to pace my self.  If I shot the first deer I saw my hunting time in the woods could be so short that I may not even get out my snacks.  I hunt on my own (and brother in law's) land so I am not competing with the general public.  After spending countless hours, clearing and mowing trails, preparing planting and mowing plots, building and maintaining stands, I want to spend as much time as possible hunting and no way do I want to tag out on the first morning of bow season.  I really enjoy watching deer of all sizes.  When in a stand with bow, muzzle or rifle, I am always thinking there is a big buck just out of site and he will show himself any minuet now.  Bragging rights, yes I believe so.  I'm especially proud of a big buck that I shot on my property.  Being I hunt my own property I feel that these are my deer and I want the best for them.  Yes, I know they are not mine but those of you who are fortunate as I am to be in this situation will understand.  I guess in short I will shoot a big 4-5 year old buck any day before I shoot a small (and I agree better tasting) one.  I hope this helps you understand the view point of the horn hunter.   

This is why I don't shoot the first deer that comes by.  Early in the bow season I took this picture from a stand near my cabin. I suppose I could have hunted from the porch.  They were just checking out my pickup to make sure no one was sleeping in it.   

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Boar,
I can't speak for others but I will try to explain some of the reasons why I choose to wait for a big buck rather than shoot the first deer that comes by.  Here are some of the reasons that factor into my decision to wait for a big one.  I have eaten venison for 40+ years and although I really like it, I wouldn't be horribly upset if I didn't have venison for one year.  I have killed many, many deer over the 50 years I have hunted so I don't need to kill one to have a good season.  I bow hunt, muzzle loader hunt and rifle hunt so I have to pace my self.  If I shot the first deer I saw my hunting time in the woods could be so short that I may not even get out my snacks.  I hunt on my own (and brother in law's) land so I am not competing with the general public.  After spending countless hours, clearing and mowing trails, preparing planting and mowing plots, building and maintaining stands, I want to spend as much time as possible hunting and no way do I want to tag out on the first morning of bow season.  I really enjoy watching deer of all sizes.  When in a stand with bow, muzzle or rifle, I am always thinking there is a big buck just out of site and he will show himself any minuet now.  Bragging rights, yes I believe so.  I'm especially proud of a big buck that I shot on my property.  Being I hunt my own property I feel that these are my deer and I want the best for them.  Yes, I know they are not mine but those of you who are fortunate as I am to be in this situation will understand.  I guess in short I will shoot a big 4-5 year old buck any day before I shoot a small (and I agree better tasting) one.  I hope this helps you understand the view point of the horn hunter.   

This is why I don't shoot the first deer that comes by.  Early in the bow season I took this picture from a stand near my cabin. I suppose I could have hunted from the porch.  They were just checking out my pickup to make sure no one was sleeping in it.   

Very well said!

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm glad to hear everyone's opinions on this.  I just like to eat venison.  I really don't care if it's a doe, or a small buck, or a wall hanger.  These guys on Facebook are very much for moving the season later, and for APR. They believe the DNR is doing a bad job of managing the herd.  I just don't agree.  I get my hackles up when someone tries to change a system that's worked pretty good for a long time.  "If it ain't broke-don't fix it."  Thanks again for everyone's opinions on this.  Good luck guys!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Yea and those APR guys think there God's gift to the deer herd!! :mad1: :doah:

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
thanks deadeye and i totaly respect your feelings. i also dont shoot the first deer i see, i too love the time in the woods as much as you. if i tag out early thats great then i spend time with family that hasnt, sit with my dad. or brothers, specialy my daughter and now my wife. i also muzzy hunt with some bow hunting. gusse thats what makes us god peolle, to respect others ways, thanks for sharing
78.50"

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I can't help but think that when people talk about moving our gun season later, they are eyeing our neighbors to the east with envy.  If we did what Wisconsin does, our deer herd would be as good as theirs.  Now I don't know if their herd is more healthy than ours, or if they shoot more bigger bucks than we do, or if the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.  But I do know that comparing the MN and WI deer hunting seasons is comparing apples and oranges.  Sure there are plenty of similarities, but the differences are significant and I think they play an important factor in the differing attitudes among hunters between the states.  For example, having a higher percentage of private land makes it easier for more WI hunters to implement QDM practices on their own property.   

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
To me.......
I've hunted both states of Minnesota & Wisconsin.
I have harvested more bigger bucks in MN than Wisc.

Moving the seasons around, don't matter much to me because I hunt all of bow, all of rifle and all of muzzleloader. So....the rut can happen whenever....

I hunt no matter what season..... So, for me, that would not effect what I do.

The APR, in my opinion, is for those heavy hunted areas towards the cities. Hunting pressure is very high, and would allow the deer population to grow.

ON THE OTHER HAND....

The other "QDMA" groups (outside of the cities) are trying to jump on the band wagon to get what be they ultimately want.....big bucks....

So.... sooner or later, if the "other" groups keep cramming their thoughts down the legislature's throat.... they will ultimately get their way.

Depends on which baby cries the loudest.....
Like I posted on social media....the DNR should stock deer, like they stock fish...then everyone would be happy.

(Kicks the soap box aside)
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
NO to both for me. I've opened my big mouth before on this topic and some people believe very strongly on the QDM system. I hunt muzzle loader season and some years there is still no snow on the ground the first week.   I don't hunt for horns but would welcome a trophy. I've passed on several nice deer in my life if I thought they would be nicer next year.   
Where did I catch all these fish you ask??? right in the lip....