Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2017 deer season~  (Read 4846 times)

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks like folks in my area had great success,stopped by our local butcher shop sunday,man were they busy skinning and cuttin up venny,to my surprise all the deer we saw were on the small size,mostly spikes or forks,not sure what legal bucks are but some of these puppy dogs barley had spikes 3"s long.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
We are going to have a record year....over 350 so far for 2 days of processing.... we have a waiting list and will be able to except more by Tuesday night - Wednesday morning. These will all be done before next weekend when the next load shows up.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
where ya doing that HD?
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Bakken's bait....in Stanchfield
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Bakken's bait....in Stanchfield

Dang, if I'da known that, I woulda sent ya those skwirrels that got lead poisoning in my yard! Ya do make skwirrel stix, don'tcha?  :rotflmao:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
 :smoking: um....if ya got um....

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
them tree rats are good eats!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Glenn scored. Nuttin to brag about. Group got another one just like it. Going back Friday morning.

[attachment deleted by admin]
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :bonk:this was the quietest year I've ever seen. Very very little shooting. I think with the full moon they were moving at nite. I shot that deer at 3 sat afternoon. Sunday morning when I got to my stand it looked like they partyed around my stand. Sunday evening I watched a fox dilly dally around my stand. That was cool to watch

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good job there, Glenn!!  :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Good job there, Glenn!!  :happy1:
:happy1: thanks Reb!!!!!!!!!!!

should i tell ya the trick shot i took to get dat bad boy!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes!! Please do!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
well lets see................it had to be well over 400 yards, the sun was shining in my eyes, the wind was blowing the wrong direction, i had a squirrels pulling on my pant leg.................and i had to ricochet the bullet of a tree stump and it dropped in its tracks!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
well lets see................it had to be well over 400 yards, the sun was shining in my eyes, the wind was blowing the wrong direction, i had a squirrels pulling on my pant leg.................and i had to ricochet the bullet of a tree stump and it dropped in its tracks!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

:doah:

Obviously, the skwirrel was attempting to access two small nuts.....  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

:doah:

Obviously, the skwirrel was attempting to access two small nuts.....  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
ummm.......dont you gotta go sweep the streets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :taz: :taz: :taz: :taz: :banghead:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ah, go play wid yer trained skwirrel!  :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I haven't had time to look but my granddaughter is hunting in an area they can shoot 3 deer. Anyone know off hand what part of the state that is??!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
These are the intensive harvest areas:  182 (Duluth); 214, 215, 241, 287 (central, NE of St. Cloud); 346, 348 or 349 (extreme southeast).

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Steve-o, they must be hunting around St cloud somewhere. I haven't talked to her my wife did.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Its November 8.  What rut signs are you seeing?

Reading between the lines, everything I've seen so far is that the bucks are still solo.

Anyone see any chasing?

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
The only place I could find on the DNR site that mentioned special regs of a limit of 3 was Itasca State Park  :scratch:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
The only place I could find on the DNR site that mentioned special regs of a limit of 3 was Itasca State Park  :scratch:

Go to the Hunting Zone map that the DNR always prints with the regs.  There is also a PDF file on line.  It lists the zones where Intensive Harvest (up to 3 deer) is allowed.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

DNR News Release
For Immediate Release:
Nov. 15, 2017
Questions? The DNR Information Center now answers your calls from 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 9 a.m.-1 p.m. on Saturday and offers interpreter services. Call 888-646-6367 or email info.dnr@state.mn.us.

7 deer test presumptive positive
in southeast’s CWD management zone

Final results for area 603 expected this week
Preliminary tests show that seven deer harvested in southeastern Minnesota’s disease management zone during the first firearms deer season may be infected with chronic wasting disease.

Hunters harvested three of the seven suspect deer near Preston in deer permit area 603, where 11 other deer tested positive during last year’s CWD surveillance efforts. Three others were harvested in Forestville-Mystery Cave State Park, which is still within area 603 but west of the core disease area. The remaining deer was harvested east of Wykoff and north of the park.

Test results from deer permit areas surrounding 603 aren’t yet available and must be analyzed to assess the full extent of the disease and whether or not it has spread outside of the disease management zone.

Once all sampling is completed and test results received, the Department of Natural Resources will follow its CWD response plan and determine next steps, which may include boundary changes to area 603 and additional deer hunting opportunities for the public or landowners.

Lou Cornicelli, DNR wildlife research manager, said it isn’t clear whether the additional positives indicate a westward expansion of the disease or individual deer movements, given all the presumptive positive deer were adult males.

Testing continues on suspect deer and in 603

CWD testing is a two-step process.  The initial tissue sample is analyzed to determine if the animal is presumptive positive.  A final test is completed on all presumptive positive samples to confirm if the animal is infected with the disease.

The DNR expects final test results and disease confirmations for all seven deer soon. Those results and any future positives in area 603 will be posted on the DNR website at mndnr.gov/cwdcheck.

Since the archery deer season began in mid-September, 700 samples have been collected in area 603. Hunters brought in 499 of those samples during the first firearms deer season, which began Nov. 4 and concluded Nov. 12. Results are pending on 40 of those deer.

“The DNR wants to thank hunters who submitted samples over opening weekend,” said Jim Leach, DNR Fish and Wildlife Division director. “Compliance was very high, suggesting hunters view this as a very important issue.”

Hunters are reminded that mandatory testing of all adult deer harvested in area 603 continues throughout the 3B season (which starts Saturday, Nov. 18 and concludes Sunday, Nov. 26), as well during the remaining archery, muzzleloader and late seasons. Check stations are located in Preston and Chatfield.

The DNR also will open voluntary surveillance stations from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Nov. 18-19 in Rushford and Houston.  The DNR encourages hunters who harvest deer around the disease management zone, in deer permit areas 343, 345, 346, 347, 348 and 349, to participate in voluntary sampling at these locations in order to collect as many samples as possible.

Check the DNR’s website, mndnr.gov/cwd, for specific information on check station locations, additional CWD information and DNR efforts to keep Minnesota deer healthy.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that, to date, there have been no reported cases of CWD infection in people. However, the CDC advises people not to eat meat from animals known to have CWD. Go to www.cdc.gov for more information.

###