Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Dang it!  (Read 3205 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
What was going to be an epic adventure weekend....has turned into crap!

We have a great friend that invited us to his house for a Christmas party...he lives in the cities, so Mama and me got a hotel room at the Hilton, lined up Uber to pick us up and drop us off back at the hotel... Mama even had some reservations at a restaurant....

Mind you, the hotel is non-refundable.....

And....the house furnace takes a crap! The heat exchanger is plugged up, so the furnace needs replaced!

Needless to say, we can't go.....😩
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Real bummer HD! HOPE all works out for you!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that'a a real dang it!!  hope you make the best of it for your self's!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Bummer HD.  Yup like Mike said, that is a dang it to say the least.....

Online Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya that does suck Hd.  I say screw it and go have fun, unless you have it lined up tonight for the fix.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
2 quote's I got, one for 1900 and another for 2100
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Didja get 'er fixed? New furnace?

I just had a really weird thing happen here...heard a kind of low"humming" sound...and smelled a hot electrical smell.....$#@%! Was coming from wall between living room and bathroom, on a corner and I know my electrical lines run thru there. Ran downstairs and popped living room/bathroom breakers, came back up, still there. Put ear against wall, louder then. WTH?! Could really smell burning smell. About ready to call 911, when I happened to look up at side of ceiling header between rooms. Smoke alarm and doorbell chimes are there...hmmm...popped cover off doorbell chime box, touched transformer...YEOOW!!! That was the humming sound, and stinking hot...went outside and checked lighted doorbell push button, light was off, button was stuck "pushed in". Cable company had been at door about 15 mns before.... Rapped button, it popped out, button light came back on, humming stopped. I put that danged switch in this summer....sure glad I was home! After cooling off, all is A-OK. Pulled chime box off of wall to make sure, no problem. *WHEW*   :doah:
« Last Edit: December 12/19/17, 06:27:16 PM by Rebel SS »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow! That sounds scary.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Not too bad, but for some reason there's a big wet spot in my underwear.  :undecided:  :rotflmao:

How ya like that Windows 10, Gunner? I love it! Easy to navigate with all the moveable "tiles"....
« Last Edit: December 12/19/17, 06:14:57 PM by Rebel SS »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Youch scary for sure.  Good detective work.  Next time go for the mains. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Was gonna do the mains, but wanted to "isolate" it to an area quick first...
« Last Edit: December 12/19/17, 06:27:50 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Yup Rebs.....new furnace....
Last fall I had the bearings go on the blower motor....$169
Then the squirrel cage broke apart......$120
Then, start of this winter...the flame rollout switch.....$23
Ran great for 4 days.....then the heat exchanger got plugged.....
New furnace, installed.....$1900

The moral of the story......
Lady bugs.... Japanese beetles..... whatever you call those little bastards.....suck!

I cleaned the furnace at the beginning of fall in preparation for the winter heating season (the burner box, jets.... everything) trust me, I have knowledge of HVAC, I have serviced and installed many a furnace & air conditioning unit....

After I installed the flame out switch, I noticed
the burner box was PACKED full of those suckers!
Those little buggers clogged up the vent tube, and their burnt little bodies.....f'ed up my furnace.... clogging up the heat exchanger....

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
How the hey did those many get in there????!!  (I do my furnace too)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
The discharge vent, and intake vent are the same pvc fixture on the side of the house. My house was vented on the side of the house compared to a roof evacuation. (Common in Attic utilised home)
The center of the "y" is for the co discharge of the burnt fuel. The backside of this "y" connection, is to supply fresh air to the burner box for a clean blue burn. The little critters, crawled through the center of the back of the "y" plugging the intake, making it impossible to have a clean blue burn.

Hard to explain......

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I got ya. I screened over my fresh air intake on the outside, and moved it from going into furnace fresh air intake ductwork down into an insulated freestanding "box", for ambient fresh air into the room. Before I did that, there was always a lot of spiders and little bugs laying around inside my filter box. ( I put an Aprilaire filter system in the ductwork right before furnace) Those big filters cost $$$$, is only drawback.  :angry:
« Last Edit: December 12/19/17, 06:59:42 PM by Rebel SS »