Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2018 gardens  (Read 59520 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's

:rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
dat was funny HD!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
dat was funny HD!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Ahh, so was yer childhood picture!!  :doofus:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Just like chas'in rebs girlfriend down the street...............  :rotflmao:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
HEY!!!  Go pick out yer "Bush beans"....I'm not even goin' THERE!  :lipsrsealed:  :puke:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Dang....my ribs hurt!!!!    :rotflmao:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
hey Reb how bout some "pole" beans!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :doah: This site is degenerating....

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
:doah: This site is degenerating....

With no help from you.....  :nerd:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Nope, not me! Like Glenn, I'm as clean and wholesome as a just confirmed choirboy!   :bow:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Nope, not me! Like Glenn, I'm as clean and wholesome as a just confirmed choirboy!   :bow:
yea............ :doah: and pigs can fly!!!!!!!!!! :pouty:

got the gurney catalog yesterday too........already in the recycling bin!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 02/03/18, 05:07:37 PM by glenn57 »
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:super smiley: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

say what???? :confused:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
:super smiley: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll:

Ahh, go pound some tomato stakes up yer bunghole!!!  :moon:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 Put 20 pepper seeds in starter soil Tonite. Crap on the tube and was bored. :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
My tulips bloomed this week!  :azn:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Put 20 pepper seeds in starter soil Tonite. Crap on the tube and was bored. :happy1:

What kinda peppers ya gonna try this year? I'm not gonna do any in-ground stuff this year. Maybe revert back to the 'mater plant and pepper plants in buckets on the deck again.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i got these from dew2. i believe there called sweet margrate Hungarian peppers!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yer only gonna plant one kind?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
green peppers.....yea. i'll but jalepeno plants.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
They sure like that hot sun on the deck in buckets. Did Anaheim, serrano, and california bells one year...

Here's a nice little pepper pictorial guide...

https://organicsoiltechnology.com/hogar-organico/grow-organic-vegetables-auto-maintenance-container-varieties/peppers-hot-sweet/hot-peppers/over-a-million-scu-hot-pepper-club

« Last Edit: February 02/21/18, 08:51:14 PM by Rebel SS »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Dat's a good idear Reb. I got an old plastic water tank that's cracked and leaks. Sorta like you & LPS!  :embarrassed: Fill the thing with a mixture of soil and sheep excrement then see what happens. One nice thing about it: I can pick it up and stick it inside with the skidsteer. Maybe extend the growing season if possible.  :happy1: Going to see if I can find a few Mexibell seeds. Looks like a bell pepper, not super hot but just enough burn to let you know it's there. 
« Last Edit: February 02/22/18, 10:18:33 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Best check the plants carefully for those fornicating bugs you like to find.  :doah: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Best check the plants carefully for those fornicating bugs you like to find.  :doah: :rotflmao:
:pouty: :pouty: WHY................. must you turn everything into a sex thing!!!!!!!!!!!! :bonk: :bonk: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
:pouty: :pouty: WHY................. must you turn everything into a sex thing!!!!!!!!!!!! :bonk: :bonk: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Gee I don't think Reb is quite that shallow. Always one to try to broaden his horizons and expand his education. He told me used to go to The Happy Warrior to study anatomy... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thank you, Dotch. You are most explicitly correct. I'm sure we might have even been there in class at the same time. :evil:  I notice that little weezle can ooh and aah over the posted bikini babe morning pics, and also bring up the barnyard sex thing about sheep "pushing back", etc. If there ever was one to stir the sexual cauldron, he'd take first prize. Now I must go have some lunch... :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: February 02/22/18, 02:27:00 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Set yourself up for a great year in the garden!
Gardening season is almost here! It’s time to brush up on everything…

How to start your own seedlings

Seed catalogs are filled with dreams that grow into reality: A perfectly straight and early stringless bush bean. A dahlia in the most vibrant color you can imagine. The same tomato that South Dakota settlers grew in 1845.

Dreaming doesn’t do you much good, though, if you order a whole pile of seed packets without the slightest idea of how to grow them. Some seeds do well placed directly into the soil. But others need to be started indoors in order to maximize the growing season. For instance, peppers and tomatoes should be started by the end of March, and cool crop seeds including broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower by the end of April, says Scott Moon, owner of Sargent’s Gardens in Rochester. “The first couple years, there’s a bit of a learning curve,” Moon says.

To lessen the learning curve, we have a little guide for how to start your own seedlings if you’re ready to get your hands dirty.

Container type

Seeds will germinate in many conditions, but ideally, you want containers with good drainage or drain holes in the bottom, Moon says. Popular choices include:

Containers or kits with draining holes in the bottom, on a tray with a plastic cover
Egg cartons
Peat pots
Newspapers
Dirt style

The type of dirt you use matter a lot. Don’t use regular dirt dug up from your yard or garden to start seeds. Moon recommends a seed starting mixture that contains peat moss, vermiculite, and perlite. This cuts down on weeds, gives proper drainage, and overall increases your chances of success. Potting soil may have too much fertilizer or be too heavy for seeds. Moon says to water the mixture and follow the directions on the seed packets before planting instructions.

Growing location

Seeds will do best in a location that is bright and warm. Once your seeds are settled in their containers, you’ll need an artificial light source (warming lights) and a heating mat for underneath your containers to encourage growth.

You’ll also need a dome or cover (plastic would work) for your container(s). Timing plays a role in success with covering. Keep seeds covered until you see sprouts. As soon as germination occurs, pull that dome or cover off. This time of germination is Moon’s favorite part – there’s something magical about it that never gets old. “It’s that whole experiencing Mother Nature and working with the dust,” he says.

Make sure your seedlings stay watered, and watch them grow. If they start leaning toward the light source, rotate the containers around or move the light to another spot.

Hardening off and how to do it

Hardening off means preparing plants to live outside. If you put your seedlings in the ground without hardening off, they are at risk of shock, which may slow future growth and potentially stunt your plant. In Minnesota, spring brings a variety of temperatures. Seedlings are used to a protected, controlled environment. To harden off your young plants, introduce them to the outdoors for a few hours each day, adding time until they are spending 7 or 8 hours a day outside. At first, they may need shelter. However, after about a week, they should be strong enough to stay outside. Keep an eye on the weather, though! Strong winds have been known to topple young plants, or a sudden rainstorm could drown them.

Once your plants are hardened off, it’s time to plant. Then sit back and watch your garden grow.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
this from someone that cant grow a winter onion!!!!!!!!!!!! :sleazy: :smoking: :super smiley: :laughroll: :laughroll:

thanks Del!!!!!!!!!! :doah: :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Winter onions my butt. Those are just raggedy left-overs ya never pulled up.   ;)
« Last Edit: March 03/14/18, 09:05:16 AM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :angry2: stuck my pepper seeds in starter soil on Feb 21 and as of last nite not a one has emerged. :confused: :censored: they got till next weekend, if nuttin then I,m turning it in as crop failure. And I will officially retire from the seed starting business and just see the greenhouse.