Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: canning time 2018  (Read 22053 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes BUT?? I think grape leaves do about the same
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

Please esssplain..... Grape leaves?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman

Please esssplain..... Grape leaves?
Grape leaves on jar botton fill wit cukes grapes on top can.The tannin crisps cukes in brine BUT so can green/Black tea oak leaves I use grape cause I eat em.         I never got a pickle as crisp as I want some in the grocery are real crispy! so now for as little as I eat pickles I buy em now peppers I can tons!!
« Last Edit: July 07/21/18, 09:35:59 AM by dew2 »

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
For my pickles this year, I'm trying pickling lime.....have any of you used it to get your pickles crispy?
I dont or try to avoid chemicals in ,What is in that lime besides lime? I know Calcium chloride is a chemical that crisps  and alum I never tries CC but alum and lime I have the tannon from leaves is just as good along with temps cool stored helps and the blossom end of each cuke should be removed just a 1/16 slice to rid it of some enzyme that helps also!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
HD, how long you hot bath them after there in the jar? I noticed the longer there hot bath the softer they get. I do mine 10 minutes max. I don't add anything for that. Mine may not be real crisp but they are firm.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I usually fill the jars with the hot brine on the cukes, then place the jars in the hot water bath, seal, and pull the jars after the water has cooled down. They seal pretty good, and the pickles are crispy for a year. I was going to try a traditional canning process this year to get a longer shelf time.

Dew, the calcium chloride is a chemical for traditional canning. And that's why I didn't want to use it... because it is a chemical. So..... that's why I was asking about the lime. It's supposed to be a better solution, but the prep time is longer.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
When you say a longer shelf life, how long you talking? I am currently working on pickles I canned in 2016 and no issues.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Since I don't do a traditional canning process, they typically go a year to 2 years. Most of the time, if I have jars left over from the previous season....I dump them out. They get that opaque look, and loose the crispy....yuck.....
« Last Edit: July 07/21/18, 10:51:28 AM by HD »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I usually fill the jars with the hot brine on the cukes, then place the jars in the hot water bath, seal, and pull the jars after the water has cooled down. They seal pretty good, and the pickles are crispy for a year. I was going to try a traditional canning process this year to get a longer shelf time.

Dew, the calcium chloride is a chemical for traditional canning. And that's why I didn't want to use it... because it is a chemical. So..... that's why I was asking about the lime. It's supposed to be a better solution, but the prep time is longer.

Everything is a chemical.  Vinegar is acetic acid.  Salt is Sodium Chloride.  Even water is a chemical.  Putting in pickling lime is really no different than putting in salt.   

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman

Everything is a chemical.  Vinegar is acetic acid.  Salt is Sodium Chloride.  Even water is a chemical.  Putting in pickling lime is really no different than putting in salt.   

How profound!  :fish2:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's

How profound!  :fish2:

Are you watering yer 'maters with chemicals again, roonster?  :scratch:
« Last Edit: July 07/21/18, 12:46:27 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Yup, I understand that everything has a chemical composition.... I was trying to put it in layman terms. Guess I don't have to dumb it up for del.....  :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup, I understand that everything has a chemical composition.... I was trying to put it in layman terms. Guess I don't have to dumb it up for del.....  :rotflmao:

dat is funny!!! :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman

dat is funny!!! :rotflmao:

Yup, I almost spit up some H2O and some udder chemicals all over my keyboard!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

Nope you don't.   My point was that using pickling lime is not much different than using salt or vinegar.  After all, you are the one that said "And that's why I didn't want to use it... because it is a chemical".   

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
OK....this particular "chemical" is it better for you than the calcium chloride "chemical" ?

Sheeeze......Can I put my crayons away now?

Can't get a straight answer around here....never mind, I found this from a pepper pickling forum....

Pickling Crisp VS Pickling Lime

For those of us who like to make our own pickles, relish or anything that has that long, frustrating, pre-soaking process involving pickling lime, there is a simple solution.  Pickling crisp!!

For those of us who do not know what the pickling lime process is and are interested in making/canning your own pickles, pickling lime is a product you buy and is required in most recipes that require pickling and helps improve the firmness by adding calcium that reinforces the pectin in the vegetable being pickled.

For example, if your using cucumbers, you would mix the pickling lime in water according to the package directions and let it soak for a full day (if not longer) rinsing at min of 3 times.  You will have to soak and rinse repeatedly until the water is clear.  Lime is alkaline so you have to make sure to get rid of all of it in the rinses process or it will reduce the acidity that you will use to pickle your vegetable with.  When you have alkalinity it reduces the Ph as well which neutralizes the acidity and can lead to botulism.  For this very reason, it is not recommended to use pickling lime any longer.  It can be a pain in the rear anyway, especially in today’s society where we are always so busy and don’t have time to rinse the vegetables a bunch of times.

That leads us to pickling crisp!  It replaces pickling lime, which home picklers have long used to firm cucumbers into pickles .

Calcium chloride aka pickle crisp is easier to use:  You add 1/8 teaspoon along with the fruit or vegetable pieces and the pickling liquid to a pint jar, or 1/4 teaspoon to a quart jar and voila!  Your done!  No long soaking and rinsing process to deal with.  If only our ancestors had this product 🙂

Below is a recipe I use for Candied Jalapenos and Quick Refrigerator Party Pickles.  I hope you find this article enjoyable, and makes canning pickled foods easier for you 🙂

Keepin It Spicy,

Jalapeño Gal

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
The objective is the calcium, which stabilizes the cell walls....keeping the veggies crisp.   Pickling lime is calcium hydroxide, that crisp stuff is calcium chloride.   They do have a point about the acidity being affected by the alkaline calcium hydroxide. 

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
The objective is the calcium, which stabilizes the cell walls....keeping the veggies crisp.   Pickling lime is calcium hydroxide, that crisp stuff is calcium chloride.   They do have a point about the acidity being affected by the alkaline calcium hydroxide.
You a chemist Del?

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
OK....this particular "chemical" is it better for you than the calcium chloride "chemical" ?

Sheeeze......Can I put my crayons away now?

Can't get a straight answer around here....never mind, I found this from a pepper pickling forum....

Pickling Crisp VS Pickling Lime

For those of us who like to make our own pickles, relish or anything that has that long, frustrating, pre-soaking process involving pickling lime, there is a simple solution.  Pickling crisp!!

For those of us who do not know what the pickling lime process is and are interested in making/canning your own pickles, pickling lime is a product you buy and is required in most recipes that require pickling and helps improve the firmness by adding calcium that reinforces the pectin in the vegetable being pickled.

For example, if your using cucumbers, you would mix the pickling lime in water according to the package directions and let it soak for a full day (if not longer) rinsing at min of 3 times.  You will have to soak and rinse repeatedly until the water is clear.  Lime is alkaline so you have to make sure to get rid of all of it in the rinses process or it will reduce the acidity that you will use to pickle your vegetable with.  When you have alkalinity it reduces the Ph as well which neutralizes the acidity and can lead to botulism.  For this very reason, it is not recommended to use pickling lime any longer.  It can be a pain in the rear anyway, especially in today’s society where we are always so busy and don’t have time to rinse the vegetables a bunch of times.

That leads us to pickling crisp!  It replaces pickling lime, which home picklers have long used to firm cucumbers into pickles .

Calcium chloride aka pickle crisp is easier to use:  You add 1/8 teaspoon along with the fruit or vegetable pieces and the pickling liquid to a pint jar, or 1/4 teaspoon to a quart jar and voila!  Your done!  No long soaking and rinsing process to deal with.  If only our ancestors had this product 🙂

Below is a recipe I use for Candied Jalapenos and Quick Refrigerator Party Pickles.  I hope you find this article enjoyable, and makes canning pickled foods easier for you 🙂

Keepin It Spicy,

Jalapeño Gal
Holy moly a mountain outta a mole hill PH factors? salts? Just use grape leaves Au Natural

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
You guys are making me hungry.  :azn:  Click on da pickle.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 07/21/18, 05:37:03 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
You a chemist Del?
Engineer.  Not the train driving type.

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Rebs pickle has alittle nut sack....wierd.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
You a chemist Del?
Engineer.  Not the train driving type.

now that explains things... :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: July 07/22/18, 09:44:36 AM by mike89 »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep, but I learned about Calcium ions and cell walls from reading cooking stuff.   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep, but I learned about Calcium ions and cell walls from reading cooking stuff.

:police: 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Hey Mikey.... what's wrong with an  engineer? I'm one too.....(just not a chemical engineer)

Had enough for 10 jars so far......

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey Mikey.... what's wrong with an  engineer? I'm one too.....(just not a chemical engineer)

absolutely nothing wrong with engineer's, just having fun with Del... :happy1: :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

absolutely nothing wrong with engineer's, just having fun with Del... :happy1: :happy1:
ha, everything works on paper to an engineer, till ya actually gotta build it ; :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
or try to fix it