Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 30 Day Clean Eating Challenge  (Read 30568 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Just knock off the noodles and taters, ya wuss! I did! Pick some good FRESH veggies instead, like sugar snap peas, celery, etc. Mission tortillas (only kind I use) make a great low-carb tortilla, I can't tell the difference from the regular ones. Eat more wraps, fill with chicky salad, ham salad, and a couple lettuce leaves. I don't even WANT taters or fries or pasta anymore. My only downfall are the summer pasta salads, but I try to stick with ones like broccoli salad, etc, without a lot of pasta in them.
« Last Edit: February 02/17/20, 12:54:43 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I agree Stevo.  Look up Carbquick mixes for buicuit mix.  good luck.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Just knock off the noodles and taters, ya wuss! I did! Pick some good FRESH veggies instead, like sugar snap peas, celery, etc. Mission tortillas (only kind I use) make a great low-carb tortilla, I can't tell the difference from the regular ones. Eat more wraps, fill with chicky salad, ham salad, and a couple lettuce leaves. I don't even WANT taters or fries or pasta anymore. My only downfall are the summer pasta salads, but I try to stick with ones like broccoli salad, etc, without a lot of pasta in them.
yea not gonna happen.....thats what they make meds for!!!!! and i eat a qt ziplock bad of fresh veggies every weekday!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

:pouty:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I've been watching carbs too.  Sometimes I do pretty good for awhile.  BUT then spaghetti comes back into my life.  I love it.  I just use a slice of bread if I have a crappy hot dog for lunch.  We buy the bakery bread that is the small loaves so each slice is smaller.  Good stuff and I eat less bread then.  If I had my choice I could give up spuds much easier than I could give up pasta. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe Fred and Barney had it right about the protein thing.......

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I was up to 2 fitty....
I cut out all processed sugar. NO candy, cakes, donuts, ice cream...nuth'in
Taters & pasta...I cut my portions in half.
Bread....I quit eating every day, down to maybe once a month (chili cheese dogs)
I started eating more nuts (pecans, cashews, peanuts) they fill you up...
Vegetables & Fruit are ok...
Cheese is ok.....

AND....I still drink beer....

I'm down to 215
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Here are a couple of company's that sell low carb pasta.  Thin Slim Foods and Great Low Carb Bread Co.  Have to watch if you are diabetic on some of these.  But they are spendy.  $10 for 8 oz. for example. on some.  But I'm still looking.  good luck.

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
All pasta in our house is whole grain - yes it has carbs but your body is more able to process and gets more nutrition from whole grain.  I honestly cant tell difference once it's in a recipe and covered in meat and sauce  Carbs aren't all bad - you need them to live, but for those of us who want to lose weight, we have so much energy stored in fat that these diets eliminate them to force the body in Ketosis - or the burning of fat cells for energy.  That's why people who do Keto tend to see such dramatic results - your body has no choice but to consume itself for energy.  And if you're like me, there's a lot to consume :)

Someone mentioned "zootles"  or zucchini noodles, earlier.  In some applications I actually like those better than pasta.  You gotta be careful not to overcook or they get mushy, but MAN! some of those in marinara under some chicken Parmesan... AWESOME STUFF!  And great for one of these diet things.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
so whats really the  difference between the "whole grain" noodle and the wheat noodle??????????? :scratch: :scratch:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I think "white" wheat vs whole grain or white rice vs brown is that "white" is processed in such a way that the body more easily converts the carbs/starches to sugars which has some sort of feedback effect on insulin release which produces other effects - like wanting to eat more.

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
It's all in the word "Whole" and what the absence of that word means.  Whole wheat and Whole grain are essentially he same things - just referring to the type of grains used.  Here's a good reference article:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/whole-grain-bread-vs-whole-wheat/

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Got it delivered today.  Now my first thing I'm going to try is making a pizza crust.  Then some burger buns.  But you can make bagels and pancakes too and more.  Hope it's good stuff with only 2 carbs.  good luck. 3 pound box for $14.00

« Last Edit: February 02/18/20, 03:32:15 PM by Reinhard »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks very interesting....

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Got it delivered today.  Now my first thing I'm going to try is making a pizza crust.  Then some burger buns.  But you can make bagels and pancakes too and more.  Hope it's good stuff with only 2 carbs.  good luck. 3 pound box for $14.00

Very interested in how this turns out for you!  Please post results!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Went with a Greek stuffed zuchini  meal yesterday.  Only thing I changed was added some of my Italian sausage with it.  Have to have some meat.  Fetta cheese, diced tomatoes, onions and cheddar cheese.  So good.  good luck.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
oh my that looks awesome!!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
One night I made a cabbage hamburger fry which was very good.   With the Asian ingredients it made a great meal.  will make it again.  good luck.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
This seems like a place you low carb guys will like this..

https://www.wsj.com/articles/if-you-knead-no-carb-bread-it-might-cost-you-some-dough-11582481459?mod=hp_featst_pos3

Instead of wheat flour, Veronica Culver’s ultra-low-carb bread recipe calls for five eggs, six tablespoons of finely ground almonds and half a cup of powdered collagen, a protein found in animal bones and tissues.

Bake for 40 minutes, and then cool for an hour. Upside down.

Otherwise, “as soon as it starts to cool, you can literally watch it start to sink in the middle,” said Ms. Culver, of Newport Beach, Calif., who spent nine months perfecting the recipe after pining for bread on her carb-cutting diet. “Then it’s just like, OK, it’s still edible, but it’s not at all what you think it should be.”

The quest to make better low-carb bread is heating up, and amateur cooks, food startups and grocery chains are seeking out increasingly exotic ingredients for the perfect loaf. Regular bread, made from high-carb wheat, is verboten on the low-carb diets that are becoming more mainstream, so bakers are trying all kinds of workarounds to see how low they can go—even to zero.

Ingredients ranging from unripe green bananas to lupin beans are on the table. Woolworths, the biggest grocery chain in Australia, sells a low-carb bread made with bamboo fiber. In the U.S., grocery store Aldi used oat and chicory-root fiber to create a bread it advertises as having “zero net carbs,” meaning the only carbs are from dietary fiber.

There is a challenge: These ingredients don’t always behave in the oven. Loaves sometimes expand so rapidly they pop out of the baking dish. Some are so brittle that cracks develop inside. Others just taste miserable.

Heath Squier, chief executive at Julian Bakery in Oceanside, Calif., wanted to cut more carbs out of his company’s already low-carb offerings. So last year, the company rolled out a new loaf largely made with almond flour, eggs, butter—and cream cheese, which helps offset the eggy flavor. Each slice has 140 calories.

Three loaves cost $40, including shipping. Slices have zero net carbs, according to the packaging. A typical slice of white bread has about 12 grams of carbs.

“The biggest thing when you’re making something from eggs is to get it to taste good,” said Mr. Squier, who markets the bread to customers following an ultra-low-carb diet called the ketogenic diet. “You don’t want it to taste like whole eggs.”

Venerdi, a bakery in New Zealand, at first tried to make its own keto-friendly bread using cauliflower, walnuts and egg whites, but the loaves didn’t have enough volume. When more egg whites were added, the bread blew up so big in the oven that it touched the tray above, there were big holes in the loaves and it seemed a bit wet inside, said Arthur Nagot, a food technologist at the bakery.

Later, the bakery tried using the powderized tuber-like stem of the konjac plant, an ingredient found in Asian cuisine. But it sucked up so much water that when the bread was sliced, “it looked like silicon, globs of silicon and glue all through it,” said Stewart Jessiman, head of new product development at Venerdi. “It was terrible.”

The bakery finally came up with a recipe that uses a tapioca starch that “resists digestion,” as well as green banana flour and psyllium, a fiber made from the husks of seeds. The konjac powder made it in, though it makes up only 1.4% of the ingredients. Net carbs: less than three grams per slice. Each loaf costs nearly $7 online, excluding shipping.

Low-carb diets are still controversial among health professionals. Some studies show they can help people lose weight in the short term, but the long-term impacts are unclear.

The perfect low-carb recipe could make some serious dough. In recent years, sales have barely risen in the roughly $16 billion U.S. bread market because consumers are shifting to foods perceived to be healthier, according to market-research firm Packaged Facts. Grain-free breads, many of which are also low-carb, could be one big growth area, it said.

Wheat flour is so good for baking bread because of gluten, said Richard Charpentier, a baker in Philadelphia who previously worked in research and development at Wonder Bread-owner Flowers Foods Inc. Yeast eats sugars in the dough, releases gases, and then gluten, a protein, acts like a balloon that stretches and allows the bread to rise.

Instead of wheat, low-carb bakers must use other ingredients such as eggs, fibers and gums—even a purer form of gluten stripped of most carbs—to create a structure for the bread, said Mr. Charpentier, who now runs his own consulting firm. Instead of yeast, baking powder can be used to create a chemical reaction to release gas.

Kevin Bae, 53, tried to make low-carb buns one night in his suburban Chicago kitchen. He found a recipe online but didn’t have one key ingredient, psyllium, in his pantry. Instead, he used something else he had on hand: xanthan gum, a common food thickener.

“They looked pretty good in the oven and then when I went to open it, it was like, ‘Hey, these things are hollow,’” he said. “It is like somebody stuck a straw in there and blew some air inside the bun.”

Kevin Bae, with his dog Godfrey, and his failed keto hamburger buns PHOTOS: KEVIN BAE(2)
He ate his burgers without buns that night, but not all was lost. He created his own low-carb recipe for popovers, a type of roll, based on the goof up.

Old-fashioned bread lovers aren’t impressed. Ken Forkish, author of “Flour Water Salt Yeast” and owner of a bakery and pizzeria in Portland, Ore., uses almond flour to make macarons--but only because that is the traditional recipe.

“Bread has been a foundational food in the Western world for thousands of years,” Mr. Forkish said. “Low-carb bread, it sounds like something that someone thought up strictly to create a new category for selling something.”

Ms. Culver, who sells collagen-based brownies online at the Enchanted Cook Keto Bakery website, concedes her zero-net-carb bread might taste too light and eggy for people used to regular bread. Her husband refuses to eat it unless she makes modifications such as increasing the almond flour, which adds more texture but also increases the carbs.

“But if you’re someone who doesn’t eat bread because of the carbs, you’re going to be like, ‘Oh my God, I can’t believe I’m having bread again,’” she said.