Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 318162 times)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
haven't seen a robin in a long time!!!   :confused:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Snowing here today, the 🦃 are feeding under the bird feeders.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Still have a flicker hanging around, literally. Has been hanging upside down, feeding on the horizontal suet feeders. Surprised as big & fat as it is that it could pull that off. Must've figured out that if the red-belly can do it, it can too. Goldfinches have run me out of thistle seed so will have to restock before they run the feeders dry. :coffee:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
had a flicker in the bird bath yesterday that was pecking away at the edge of the ice and chopping it...  then swallow the ice chips!!! 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
What kinda bird is this. :rotflmao:

2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The 4-legged kind. Looks like you need a squirrel baffle... :coffee:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
The 4-legged kind. Looks like you need a squirrel baffle... :coffee:
them tree rats usually dont get on these feeders.......if they do they have problems getting to the seeds. it was hilarious watching this one, he finally fell off!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The last few days we have been inundated with Pine Siskins.  They come in a big flock of over 100 of them I think.  They fill the feeder and the railings on the deck.  The chickadees and nuthatches must be pissed at them.  I will keep the feeder filled with sunflower seeds. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
we get them at the cabin too.......fun to watch!!!!!! :happy1:

even betterr is when the evening and morning grosebeaks show up!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 12/26/23, 08:22:09 AM by glenn57 »

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
We'll see the occasional siskin and the odd redpoll but seems like there needs to be an irruption before they appear in numbers here. In 2009, between the two species, they emptied the feeders daily. This warm, open winter has meant rather slow bird watching at times. The rain didn't do the seed in the feeders any favors so Poppy & I will have to clean out the soggy stuff. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Yea cleaning the wet soggy feeders are on my agenda also.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We do get redpolls too and they are a flock when they appear too.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Lots of robins around the yard the past week or so. I don't know if they haven't left for the winter yet or have just returned for the summer.  :rotflmao:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      I really hope I'm mistaken but, earlier today, I thought I saw an Indigo Bunting feeding off the sunflower seeds under one of our feeders. Colors weren't as bright and I saw it for maybe 2 seconds. It sure looked like one, though.
I used to be cute and adorable. Then, I had my first birthday. Been downhill ever since.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
      I really hope I'm mistaken but, earlier today, I thought I saw an Indigo Bunting feeding off the sunflower seeds under one of our feeders. Colors weren't as bright and I saw it for maybe 2 seconds. It sure looked like one, though.
maybe it was  the egg nog!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

I would love to see one of them.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
We have been seeing a butt load of redpolls here.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
How many is a "butt load"? I think I saw what I would call a butt load of crows last week.
I used to be cute and adorable. Then, I had my first birthday. Been downhill ever since.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The Red Polls haven't found our feeder yet but they will. 

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
How many is a "butt load"? I think I saw what I would call a butt load of crows last week.
Oh probably a 100 or more. They are small, so takes a lot of them to make a butt load.  ;)
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Had a pre-dawn visitor at the feeders this morning.  Flying squirrel  :happy1: :happy1: hadn't seen them all summer.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Cleaned the frozen crud out of the feeders and filled them this a.m. Seems to be more activity today with the potential for a little snow. Came over here to see boober's new feeder but the Mrs. must have him tied up... :coffee:

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Had a Morning dove in the tray feeder this morning.  Have never saw one this late or not feeding on the ground under the feeders.   :confused:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
The whipper snapper gave it to us for Xmas.  The hardest part was pairing it to our wifi, the feeder will only support 2.4 gigs where ours is 5. Soooo some how the wife was able to split it on the cable app to make it work. Can take pics, videos, has a solar roof kinda neat. Took em bout an hour to land and check it out. I shoulda put straight sunflower seeds in it cuz the other feeder is full of finches.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
way cool Bobber!!!! 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes it sure is. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :sleazy: now we could possibly  see da misses boober chasin  Mr boober!  :sleazy: :tut: :rotflmao:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
The finches have been thick lately where we had to turn off the notifications, Have some really neat videos also. Mainly gold finches but we had a house finch stop by!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
that second picture looks like a female cardinal!!!!!!!! birds here at home are pretty non existent, cept for bugs bunny under the feeder this morning.

same with the feeders at the cabin. didnt need to add much when i was up there last time. my mom had some homemade feeders made out of small tree branches. i mixed sunflower seeds with cheap peanut butter..........the woodpeckers, and finches up there clean that thing out every other day.  this spring i'm gonna make me some more of them. i know where i can get the tree branches!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Couple more.