Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Handgun Carry choice  (Read 1150 times)

Offline FishThumper

• Outdoorsman
Curious of how many here who often carry a handgun, Now have a Red dot sight on them. Also curious how many here carry a full size handgun or a compact sized one? I'm thinking of picking up a new handgun and trying to decide if I want to go the full size or the compact route. Also trying to decide if I want to go with a red dot sight or not. If you want, feel free to share what your current carry gun is and why you chose it.
"The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't."

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
no red dot here, yet...   and I have full size and smaller...  on any given day I guess I can have what I want on me.. 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline FishThumper

• Outdoorsman
no red dot here, yet...   and I have full size and smaller...  on any given day I guess I can have what I want on me..

You say yet. If you were going to get a new one, would you think of getting one with or adding a red dot to it?

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  no just thinking ahead!!   I'm always thinking about a new handgun!!!    thinking maybe a revolver, 357

Online Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Glock 19 gen 5 w/red dot 9mm  Everyday carry
Glock 43X w/Red Dot 9mm  Backup and ultra conceal

Glock 17 Gen 5 9mm w/out red dot.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Versa thunder 380 is my main carry gun. Also have a Springfield XD mod.2 9mm that I carry in a shoulder holster once in awhile. No red dot.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline MN RACK ATTACK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Full size, 1911 or Berta 92

Carry, M&P Shield in what ever caliber you want.
2020 Big Buck Slayer

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Walther PDP 9mm. A little big, but I shoot it well. Alot of pistols it seems I can't hit crap because I'm left-handed. This one works for me. I've had two Glocks and Sweat and Miss'em (S&W) before this one. I carry it when I'm running around in the woods and once in awhile when traveling in state it sits under the armrest in pick-up. :happy1: :happy1:
mm

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
i dont have a handgun........i toyed with the idea of getting one a few years back, simply to carry in the woods up at the cabin cause i do spend alot of time up there. i just havent come across a situation in my 66 years where i actually needed or wanted one.  :scratch:

i would never carry in public and never no desire to get a permit to carry. when i went to these buck banquets i invested most my tickets into the handgun raffles but .....no dice.  to my surprise i found out my kid has one.......to each there own i guess.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I haven't done the CC thing yet.  Talked to the guy about it.  Maybe next summer.  I did get that Ruger SR22 last year.  What a nice gun.  Shoots any 22 LR just great. 

Online Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
i dont have a handgun........i toyed with the idea of getting one a few years back, simply to carry in the woods up at the cabin cause i do spend alot of time up there. i just havent come across a situation in my 66 years where i actually needed or wanted one.  :scratch:

i would never carry in public and never no desire to get a permit to carry. when i went to these buck banquets i invested most my tickets into the handgun raffles but .....no dice.  to my surprise i found out my kid has one.......to each there own i guess.

To each to their own....  Carrying is not for everyone.  In fact if you are not comfortable carrying you probably should not.  A person has to ask them selves that if you do get in a situation where you need or should use it, will you or can you?  I personally have carried so long it is just natural for me.  I feel better to have and not need than to need and not have.  But that is just me. 

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
I carry 2 guns, left arm smith! Rifht arm wesson.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll:

there talking real guns.....not toothpicks buddy!!!!1 :mooning: :rotflmao:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Oh, well beside that i dont carry but legaly can and have a sw shield 9mm
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I remember Keith Millard telling that cop, "My arms are stronger than your gun."  (He went downtown after that comment.   :bonk: )

Offline FishThumper

• Outdoorsman
I think I have my choices narrowed down to 2 guns. The Sig 365X Macro or the CZ P10C. I think this time I'm going to go the red dot route. I'm going to keep my Current Smith and Wesson M&P Shield so if the new one ends up being hard to conceal to carry I can always fall back to my original choice. Tactical Advantage her in Saint Cloud has a excellent deal on Tuesdays for those over 55. 1/2 price range cost and 1/2 price gun rental. So for around 25.00 I can go shoot all the 9MM 's I want. They also have 5-6 guns with various red dots on them so I can figure out what one of those work the best for me. Thanks for all of you reply's

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have always wondered how well the red dot and Aim points work.  Never looked through one.
« Last Edit: January 01/18/24, 02:29:07 PM by LPS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I have always wondered how well the red dot and Aim points work.  Never looked through one.
they seem to work pretty good on NCIS and the FBI's!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
they seem to work pretty good on NCIS and the FBI's!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1:

Offline FishThumper

• Outdoorsman
I have a few issues with my eyes. I'm hoping the use of a red dot will help with my accuracy and quicker target acquisition. I also want to do some more Practical shooting and I think the red dot will be helpful with that.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Fish Thumper, i went to Tact Advantage to try several guns side by side.  It was a good deal and I learned a lot.  And had a bunch of fun.

My first experience trying the red dot didn't go well.  I am right handed and left eye dominant and struggled to see the red dot when i brought the pistol up.  So i never put the time in to figure it out.  But many people like them and shoot them well.

U are zeroed in on 2 cool pistols, but i think they have some significant differences, dont they?

Curious to hear what you like about each one.

G'luck
« Last Edit: January 01/18/24, 08:46:25 PM by Steve-o »

Offline Glenn_S

• Outdoorsman
Typical carry is a Ruger LC9S, but on occasion I carry my S&W 40 or Ruger Security 9. Rarely do I carry my 1911 in 45, but LOVE shooting that.
"I hope we have once again reminded people, that man is not free unless government is limited. There's a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: as government expands, liberty contracts." ~Ronald Reagan