Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Does wearing regular "camo" or "blaze orange" make a difference.  (Read 580 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Outside of the rifle and muzzleloader seasons, I typically ware camo clothes or at least something brown while bow hunting. I also usually put on a face mask of some sort. During the gun seasons I wear a blaze orange hat and vest and almost never any face covering. Funny thing is I do not believe there is any noticeable difference with the deer's reaction to my presents either way. Yes, I feel more hidden and have the feeling they cannot detect me as easy with regular camo verses blaze orange but that's just a feeling, not reality. This past season I bow hunted quite a bit while wearing blaze orange with no face covering and I will say it didn't make any difference to the deer. Unless they winded me or saw me moving they would stop, stare, stomp, head bob, and go back about their business or stiff leg off 30-40 yards. Does anyone else bow hunt when they are required to wear blaze orange and what are your thoughts. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Yes, I too see very little difference. But the difference I see happens during movements. The color spectrum regarding reds and oranges is the first to go with deer so. 
2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I have bow hunted with blaze on, but mine is in a camo pattern. I do keep my movements down to a minimum while sitting. So I have seen little change, if any, in deer interactions.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I feel the same. It is all about wind and movement. Only thing I think is the blaze is easier to see movement. I bowhunt during the youth hunt and need blaze on then. But what I do is wear a blaze vest and when I get up in the tree I strap that around the tree so it is stationary.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
its been quiet a while since i bow hunted, so basiclly gun nowadays.......i agree wind and movement.

back when i did bow hunt i watched something that totally baffled me. i was sitting in a ladder stand, a fried set up one of them camo doghouse blinds. i watched a doe come out of the wooded swampy area into the little clearing. the minute that doe seen that blind it was full on red alert.

i've seen this more then once.....grouse hunting.......you cant get close hardly. orange army hits the woods and you can about go up to them grouse and pet them! :doah: gotta have something to do with that orange color???? :scratch:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Has everything to do with wasnt ther before.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"