Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Choke tube.  (Read 1047 times)

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      If you're give your shotgun a good cleaning, do you remove the choke tube and oil it?
      I was giving this some thought recently. Actually, while I was burning a pile of brush.
      I do remove the choke tube, clean and inspect it and, after cleaning the barrel, I put a few drops of Rem oil on the choke and coat the whole thing. I've seen an article that claimed you should use choke tube lube rather than other oils. Then I started wondering if you should store shotguns with no choke tube installed?
      Is there really something special in choke tube lube that makes it that much better? Should I be using special lube?
      What do you think?
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
I use Anti-Seize. Its messy, but works for me. I also use it on the breech-plug on my muzzle-loader. And I leave choke tubes in my shotguns year round. Just don't tighten the dog-snot out of them. Good luck TT.  :happy1:
mm

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Depends on how long you are going to store them.  If I do not plan to use them for a bit I will use grease.  If they are just a weekly cleaning I use oil.  You almost can compare a choke tube to the receiver hitch on your truck.  They will come out easy forever and then all of a sudden they are rusted in and you can't get them out.  Oil should prevent any rust but it only takes one little spot under the choke to make it stick.

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Markn, never thought of using anti-seize. I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work

Scenic, you are correct. I was thinking of a situation where you put your pheasant gun in the safe for a few months so not real long term. Although, if you had a shotgun that you didn't plan on using for several years for whatever reason, I can see removing the tube.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
With my guns it all depends on the weather. If they get wet everything gets lubed, but for the most part the tubes like mentioned don't get reefed down and are only oiled periodically,  maybe every couple cleanings.... shut up Glenn, I know your lurking in the shadows..lol.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
With my guns it all depends on the weather. If they get wet everything gets lubed, but for the most part the tubes like mentioned don't get reefed down and are only oiled periodically,  maybe every couple cleanings.... shut up Glenn, I know your lurking in the shadows..lol.
:nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

TT.......me thinks boobers shotgun barrels bent!!!!!!! :sleazy: :rolleyes:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Bent like that carrot on the TV commercials where you should ask your doctor?

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
      Bent like that carrot on the TV commercials where you should ask your doctor?
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: yep!!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
You guys been peekin?  :rotflmao: yeah my eyes ain't nowhere near what used to be. I have a few kaypons a year, I shoot and they Kaypon going... :bs:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
You guys been peekin?  :rotflmao: yeah my eyes ain't nowhere near what used to be. I have a few kaypons a year, I shoot and they Kaypon going... :bs:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: we all do bud..  it's just way more fun at your expense!! :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yuppers!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I put anti-sieze on all my choke tubes.
They actually make it for guns, I believe it's made by TC.... when I get a chance I'll take a pic of it. It has less grit than traditional anti-sieze.

We know Glenn's barrel ain't bent...he just can't see very well.....  :rotflmao:

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Here it is......

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      HD, I think I saw something like that when I was in Scheels the other day. Thanks.