Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: taking pictures while ice fishing  (Read 2263 times)

Offline Tom7227

• Outdoorsman
I was looking at Outdoor News and i saw a lot of pictures of nice fish taken while ice fishing.  Many pictures were labeled as catch and release.  Any thoughts on how long a fish can be exposed to freezing temps before it is injured? 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
If it is real cold maybe a minute...

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Not very long. It does depend on the actual temp and the wind. It is the eyes and fins that start to freeze first.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
pluse holding the fizh thru the gill plates exposez the delicate gills, whi h is a real problem
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
pluse holding the fizh thru the gill plates exposez the delicate gills, whi h is a real problem
yea like you would know!!!!!!!!!!!! :sleazy: :rotflmao: unless you where holding your wife's fish!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I was looking at Outdoor News and i saw a lot of pictures of nice fish taken while ice fishing.  Many pictures were labeled as catch and release.  Any thoughts on how long a fish can be exposed to freezing temps before it is injured?

I take a lot of pictures ice fishing....but, I have my camera ready when planning on releasing fish. They are not out of the water for a MAX of 30 seconds.

With that said....not all my pics turn out that great because of fish not cooperating (flipping around)
But, that's just me....Photo journalist may take longer to get that "perfect" shot...and I would tend to believe the fish don't fair well. I would think that a fish out of the water has some damage after a few minutes. BUT, some fish have a higher tolerance than others.... I/E bullheads compared to bluegills. Some are natural survivors....and some are just prey....

Just my 2 pennies.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!